Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New workbench

My b&d workmate has just about reached the end of its useful lifetime so
I am looking to buy a new one.

I have been very happy with it and will probably get the same again but
before I do I was wondering if there is anything out there worth looking
at as an alternative.

I am looking for a general purpose bench but as I now am renovating
houses for a living I guess that being robust enough to stand up to
daily use is at the forefront of my needs.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Always fancied one of these myself http://www.draper.co.uk/Pages/magnum.html

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-09 17:02:41 +0100, Martin Carroll said:

My b&d workmate has just about reached the end of its useful lifetime so
I am looking to buy a new one.

I have been very happy with it and will probably get the same again but
before I do I was wondering if there is anything out there worth looking
at as an alternative.

I am looking for a general purpose bench but as I now am renovating
houses for a living I guess that being robust enough to stand up to
daily use is at the forefront of my needs.

Cheers

Martin

I've got a Wolfcraft Master 800 that came from Screwfix and am pretty
happy with that. I looked at quite a few Workmate-like products and
this was the best one I could find. The B&D ones are now distinctly
shoddy.

I particularly like the pedal operated quick clamp and release.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 9 Jul, 17:02, Martin Carroll wrote:
My b&d workmate has just about reached the end of its useful lifetime so
I am looking to buy a new one.

I have been very happy with it and will probably get the same again but
before I do I was wondering if there is anything out there worth looking
at as an alternative.

I am looking for a general purpose bench but as I now am renovating
houses for a living I guess that being robust enough to stand up to
daily use is at the forefront of my needs.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

I have the Stanley Project Centre which is a mobile workbench come
sack-truck. The idea is good but this model is poorly built/designed
and wobbles too much when you try and work on it. I have added extra
bracing and wedges, but its still not stable. Also in hindsight, it is
constructed of too much plastic and if the work area gets worn or
damaged, it will not be so easy to replace as a wooden/mdf one. And
the work area and holes in it are limited and not very versatile for
securing wide pieces - or even mitre saws.

B&D do a vey similar one and it is rock solid, and much better
designed and implemented

TBH, I don't think there is a better one than one of the basic, cheap
B&D ones. Very versatile, takes loads of abuse and does anything a
work bench should.

I wont buy any more fancy ones.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Red Red is offline

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
My b&d workmate has just about reached the end of its useful lifetime so
I am looking to buy a new one.

I have been very happy with it and will probably get the same again but
before I do I was wondering if there is anything out there worth looking
at as an alternative.

I am looking for a general purpose bench but as I now am renovating
houses for a living I guess that being robust enough to stand up to
daily use is at the forefront of my needs.

This any good to you?
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/f084e02a754ae12c/5a58d68fd2925d83?lnk=st&q=Which+Workmate%3F+-+follow+up&rnum=1&hl=en#5a58d68fd2925d83

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Martin Carroll wrote:
My b&d workmate has just about reached the end of its useful lifetime
so I am looking to buy a new one.

I have been very happy with it and will probably get the same again
but before I do I was wondering if there is anything out there worth
looking at as an alternative.

I am looking for a general purpose bench but as I now am renovating
houses for a living I guess that being robust enough to stand up to
daily use is at the forefront of my needs.

Always fancied one of these myself http://www.draper.co.uk/Pages/magnum.html

Yes, I had been looking at that one myself. A tad expensive but seems
to do everything bar making the tea!

By the way what did you think of that photo morphing software?

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Carroll wrote:
In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
Martin Carroll wrote:
My b&d workmate has just about reached the end of its useful
lifetime so I am looking to buy a new one.

I have been very happy with it and will probably get the same again
but before I do I was wondering if there is anything out there worth
looking at as an alternative.

I am looking for a general purpose bench but as I now am renovating
houses for a living I guess that being robust enough to stand up to
daily use is at the forefront of my needs.

Always fancied one of these myself
http://www.draper.co.uk/Pages/magnum.html

Yes, I had been looking at that one myself. A tad expensive but seems
to do everything bar making the tea!

By the way what did you think of that photo morphing software?

Been to busy to try it - sorry :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

workbench? Duck Woodworking 7 June 26th 07 10:35 PM
Which workbench to buy? Louis Ohland Metalworking 14 May 2nd 06 03:00 PM
Workbench top?? Brian In Hampton Woodworking 14 April 15th 05 10:01 PM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM
WORKBENCH J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 06:13 AM