Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Side-entry fill valve

Anyone fitted a Fluidmaster Side-entry fill valve?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-side-entry-fill-valve/288fj

There is almost no information about this on the internet. Even
Fluidmaster seem to have little information, and what they have concerns
the bottom-entry fill, although I guess in practice there should be no
difference. I'm wondering how much it differs from the other
"Torbeck-style" float valves, as there are mixed reviews of those -
particularly when they jam fully open!

I'm considering using one on the cold-water tank to see if it stops the
loud water hammer and "foghorn" we have. I've got it under control by
partially closing the isolating valve on the mains water supply to the
tank, but that's not really a satisfactory solution.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 22/02/2019 16:42, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone fitted a Fluidmaster Side-entry fill valve?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-side-entry-fill-valve/288fj

There is almost no information about this on the internet. Even
Fluidmaster seem to have little information, and what they have concerns
the bottom-entry fill, although I guess in practice there should be no
difference. I'm wondering how much it differs from the other
"Torbeck-style" float valves, as there are mixed reviews of those -
particularly when they jam fully open!

I'm considering using one on the cold-water tank to see if it stops the
loud water hammer and "foghorn" we have. I've got it under control by
partially closing the isolating valve on the mains water supply to the
tank, but that's not really a satisfactory solution.

No different to any other side entry valve IME

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/19 22:02, TMH wrote:
On 22/02/2019 16:42, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone fitted a Fluidmaster Side-entry fill valve?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-side-entry-fill-valve/288fj

There is almost no information about this on the internet. Even
Fluidmaster seem to have little information, and what they have concerns
the bottom-entry fill, although I guess in practice there should be no
difference. I'm wondering how much it differs from the other
"Torbeck-style" float valves, as there are mixed reviews of those -
particularly when they jam fully open!

I'm considering using one on the cold-water tank to see if it stops the
loud water hammer and "foghorn" we have. I've got it under control by
partially closing the isolating valve on the mains water supply to the
tank, but that's not really a satisfactory solution.

No different to any other side entry valve IME

Thanks. A rare post from you!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2019 16:42, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone fitted a Fluidmaster Side-entry fill valve?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-side-entry-fill-valve/288fj

There is almost no information about this on the internet. Even
Fluidmaster seem to have little information, and what they have concerns
the bottom-entry fill, although I guess in practice there should be no
difference. I'm wondering how much it differs from the other
"Torbeck-style" float valves, as there are mixed reviews of those -
particularly when they jam fully open!

I'm considering using one on the cold-water tank to see if it stops the
loud water hammer and "foghorn" we have. I've got it under control by
partially closing the isolating valve on the mains water supply to the
tank, but that's not really a satisfactory solution.

Have you tried fitting a flow restrictor?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 24/02/2019 08:15, Jeff Layman wrote:

Thanks. A rare post from you!

Fed up with all the politics.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message

I'm considering using one on the cold-water tank to see if it stops the
loud water hammer and "foghorn" we have. I've got it under control by
partially closing the isolating valve on the mains water supply to the
tank, but that's not really a satisfactory solution.

If it has a large DIAPHRAGM WASHER like this change it and make sure you get
it the correct way round
they harden with age and cause water hammer

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/19 17:10, Mark wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message

I'm considering using one on the cold-water tank to see if it stops the
loud water hammer and "foghorn" we have. I've got it under control by
partially closing the isolating valve on the mains water supply to the
tank, but that's not really a satisfactory solution.

If it has a large DIAPHRAGM WASHER like this change it and make sure you get
it the correct way round
they harden with age and cause water hammer

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

The float valve was brand-new in November.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-brass-part-2-float-valve/27627

Next time I remove it I'll have a look at the diaphragm.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/19 17:10, Mark wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message

I'm considering using one on the cold-water tank to see if it stops
the
loud water hammer and "foghorn" we have. I've got it under control by
partially closing the isolating valve on the mains water supply to the
tank, but that's not really a satisfactory solution.

If it has a large DIAPHRAGM WASHER like this change it and make sure you
get
it the correct way round
they harden with age and cause water hammer

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

The float valve was brand-new in November.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-brass-part-2-float-valve/27627

Next time I remove it I'll have a look at the diaphragm.

have you read the feedback on screwfix seems as if PEGLAR have some quality
issues
I have fitted loads of these in the past without problems and only had to
change diaphragm after 10+ years
so still think if you fit a new Diaphragm ( perhaps Not from Screwfix) it
would cure the problem
https://vgy.me/AX1qON.png

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/19 17:10, Mark wrote:
[...]

I think it's a combination of the valve and input water pressure/flow.
The original was a Screwfix "cheapie" which had worked well for about 4
years. It started to make a hammer noise a few weeks after the gas CH
boiler was replaced. Coincidence?

Taking apart and cleaning the valve would improve (but not completely
remove) the noise for a day or two, but then it would get bad again. I
decided to replace it with the Pegler, but that immediately turned the
hammer into a foghorn. Fiddling with it would again improve things for a
while. In fact, once it didn't make a noise for about 4 weeks, then just
started again out of the blue, and once it had started rapidly got worse.

--

Jeff