Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HDMI audio.

In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, OOI, is it likely we have two HDMI cables that aren't compatible
with that Youview TV combo or could it be that the audio in on the
TV simply doesn't work (I'd not tested that before taking it up there
as it had only been used for Freeview before that).

Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to a TV
from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 February 2019 11:28:27 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, OOI, is it likely we have two HDMI cables that aren't compatible
with that Youview TV combo or could it be that the audio in on the
TV simply doesn't work (I'd not tested that before taking it up there
as it had only been used for Freeview before that).

Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to a TV
from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

HDMI isn't just one easy standard, it can be quite complex with the differnt versions that have come and gone.

Check 1/2 way down the wiki page to versions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
So, OOI, is it likely we have two HDMI cables that aren't compatible
with that Youview TV combo or could it be that the audio in on the
TV simply doesn't work (I'd not tested that before taking it up there
as it had only been used for Freeview before that).

Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to a TV
from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

HDMI isn't just one easy standard, it can be quite complex with the differnt versions that have come and gone.

Check 1/2 way down the wiki page to versions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

I just looked at that to check my memory wasn't playing tricks...

"Transition-minimized differential signaling (TMDS) on HDMI interleaves
video, audio and auxiliary data"

The video and the audio are interleaved. Which means no cable fault
could mute the audio, but leave the video OK.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to
a TV from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

HDMI isn't just one easy standard, it can be quite complex with the
differnt versions that have come and gone.

Are you saying there is a version which carries video, but not audio?

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to
a TV from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

HDMI isn't just one easy standard, it can be quite complex with the
differnt versions that have come and gone.

Are you saying there is a version which carries video, but not audio?

*Not* a cable version; but versions of transmitters and receivers,
definitely. The first Apple whateverport to HDMI adapter I got didn't
do audio.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 February 2019 15:41:52 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to
a TV from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

HDMI isn't just one easy standard, it can be quite complex with the
differnt versions that have come and gone.

Are you saying there is a version which carries video, but not audio?

My 2010 Mac mini did not support audio from the HDMI not sure why but I remember looking it up a couple of years ago as it was the first time I thought about using the audio, before that I was happy with the sound the mini had.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to
a TV from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

HDMI isn't just one easy standard, it can be quite complex with the
differnt versions that have come and gone.

Are you saying there is a version which carries video, but not audio?

My 2010 Mac mini did not support audio from the HDMI not sure why but I
remember looking it up a couple of years ago as it was the first time I
thought about using the audio, before that I was happy with the sound the
mini had.

My 2011 Mac does support HDMI audio, but the Thunderflash port to HDMI
adapterI bought from Apple didn't! The later model adapter did.
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to
a TV from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

HDMI isn't just one easy standard, it can be quite complex with the
differnt versions that have come and gone.

Are you saying there is a version which carries video, but not audio?

DVI is effectively that. You only need a dumb adapter to connect either
to the other, but of course you then have to make separate arrangements
for the audio.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to
a TV from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

HDMI isn't just one easy standard, it can be quite complex with the
differnt versions that have come and gone.

Are you saying there is a version which carries video, but not audio?

*Not* a cable version; but versions of transmitters and receivers,
definitely. The first Apple whateverport to HDMI adapter I got didn't
do audio.

Ah - obviously if you do a cludge, anything is possible. I was more
thinking of devices normally connected by HDMI as in the OP's case.

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to
a TV from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

HDMI isn't just one easy standard, it can be quite complex with the
differnt versions that have come and gone.

Are you saying there is a version which carries video, but not audio?

My 2010 Mac mini did not support audio from the HDMI not sure why but I
remember looking it up a couple of years ago as it was the first time I
thought about using the audio, before that I was happy with the sound
the mini had.

But I thought everything Mac was always perfect? Obviously not, since the
HDMI output on an ancient desktop PC I have carries the audio too.

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Are you saying there is a version which carries video, but not audio?

DVI is effectively that. You only need a dumb adapter to connect either
to the other, but of course you then have to make separate arrangements
for the audio.

DVI has the same digital video standard as HDMI, but also makes provision
for analogue video. But no provision for audio.

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 10:55:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
Never come across that. I was surprised to find that an HDMI cable to
a TV from an after market sound card on a desktop PC had the audio too.

HDMI isn't just one easy standard, it can be quite complex with the
differnt versions that have come and gone.

Are you saying there is a version which carries video, but not audio?

My 2010 Mac mini did not support audio from the HDMI not sure why but I
remember looking it up a couple of years ago as it was the first time I
thought about using the audio, before that I was happy with the sound
the mini had.

But I thought everything Mac was always perfect?

who said that not me.
if it were perfect it'd have 3D ultra quad sound and be cable of supporting the type of screens they have in the iMax cinemas.

Obviously not,

for about £500

since the
HDMI output on an ancient desktop PC I have carries the audio too.

How ancient ?

In the specs of the mac mini it states that the HDMI doesn't support audio.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Are you saying there is a version which carries video, but not audio?

DVI is effectively that. You only need a dumb adapter to connect either
to the other, but of course you then have to make separate arrangements
for the audio.

DVI has the same digital video standard as HDMI, but also makes provision
for analogue video. But no provision for audio.

It does depend on which version of DVI though.

Most PCs with DVI are probably DVI-D only and purely digital; some are
DVI-I and provide both analogue and digital on the same connector; I've
never seen a purely analogue DVI-A though.

SteveW

HDMI audio. Bill Wright[_3_] UK diy 3 February 19th 19 03:35 PM
HDMI Portable DVD Player, DIVX Portable DVD Player, Audio VideoPortable DVD Players [email protected] Electronics 0 February 26th 08 03:51 AM
Marantz Audio Amplifier Model 1030 , Noise problem (audio inside) . [email protected][_2_] Electronics Repair 0 November 24th 07 11:33 AM
EP Bad audio....SP good audio HELP [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 December 16th 04 12:17 AM