Default EP Bad audio....SP good audio HELP

I don't know what the hell to make of this.
My old EP recorded tapes have muffled audio
all of a sudden. Yet I put in a professionally
recorded tape that's in SP mode and the audio
plays fine.

Huh??????

Pathogen

firstly, don't know how much ya really know about VCR's.
I record anything I wish to keep in SP, better video and sound.
when was the last to ya clean the heads, all of them, then checked the
tracking.
also are the tapes in very good shape, no wringles, smooth edges.
if the unit uses belts to drive anything have they been replaced within
5yrs.
so much is happening here.

The tapes I'm using are from the 80s, very old,
as I convert stuff from vhs to dvd. For weeks
everything was fine, now all of a sudden any tape
on EP, old or new, has muffled sound. On SP perfect
sound. That's why I'm thrown.

Leonard Caillouet

20 year old tapes are deteriorating and shedding oxide. Not much signal
quality on EP anyway, give up some particles, soil the heads and tape path
and it is not surprising to get poorer audio and video. Clean the machine
thoroughly. Likely there is a ridge of oxide on the capstan skewing the
tape off of the audio head. EP is simply more critical.

Leonard

wrote in message
oups.com...
The tapes I'm using are from the 80s, very old,
as I convert stuff from vhs to dvd. For weeks
everything was fine, now all of a sudden any tape
on EP, old or new, has muffled sound. On SP perfect
sound. That's why I'm thrown.

sofie

McFly:
Your old tapes have mucked up the heads in the VCR..... and/or your old
tapes may be shedding oxide,f worn and edge damaged.
This is a quite common symptom of a VCR that needs to be professionally
cleaned.... and not with a useless cleaning tape. If the tapes are worn
and damaged you may not be able to obtain "like new" performance. Because
at SP speed the tape is moving faster and things are less critical, you may
not notice any problems..... EP will be the first to go...... re-read the
reply by electricitym, he was right on with the proper explanation.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

oups.com...