Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HDMI audio.

On 19/02/2019 00:49, T i m wrote:

Try the TV set with a different HDMI source. Lack of audio from HDMI is
a common weirdness with tellys. Often the answer is to have the HDMI
source working and the telly set to receive it, then unplug the HDMI
from the telly, take a deep breath, then plug it back in.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes this is true, but the thing is one wonders does anybody not test their
software for this stupidity before unleashing the sets to an unsuspecting
world?

I even find some of the video standard conversion gizmos you get can work
intermittently depending on the sequence of plugging in or even of mode
selection on the tvs and computers involved.
We do seem to have got ourselves into a bit of a muddle.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 19/02/2019 00:49, T i m wrote:

Try the TV set with a different HDMI source. Lack of audio from HDMI is a
common weirdness with tellys. Often the answer is to have the HDMI source
working and the telly set to receive it, then unplug the HDMI from the
telly, take a deep breath, then plug it back in.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 February 2019 04:26:54 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
Try the TV set with a different HDMI source. Lack of audio from HDMI is
a common weirdness with tellys. Often the answer is to have the HDMI
source working and the telly set to receive it, then unplug the HDMI
from the telly, take a deep breath, then plug it back in.

Using my Hudl 2 tablet with HDMI, the tablet changes to having only two volume settings (1 and 11) and on the TV I have to set the volume right down before plugging in the tablet.

One would think that line level audio would have a standard ... oh hang on, it did. I wonder why they didn't keep that when moving to digital.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
One would think that line level audio would have a standard ... oh hang
on, it did. I wonder why they didn't keep that when moving to digital.

It did. Called the EBU standard. (European Broadcasting Union) Peak level
was meant to be 10 dB below dBFS. To allow for digital getting nasty if
you overmod. It was initially for digital recording (and CDs), but most of
the TV channels still stick to it. In the main. But commercial radio - as
ever - smash everything round the endstop.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.