Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Of taps and tails

Looking at various taps atm - might go over to the dark side and have ¼-turn
ones.
Not sure if 2 taps or mixer - depends on the new basin.

Now, so far as I can see, most mixers have flexi tails. I'm rather wary of
pressurised flexis over long periods (that's the reason I go for high-rated
hose for the washing machine).
Are there any things to aware of with flexi tails; also, how are they
attached to the tap? I'm wondering about adapting them to take copper pipe
(10mm?).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
Looking at various taps atm - might go over to the dark side and have ¼-turn
ones.
Not sure if 2 taps or mixer - depends on the new basin.

Now, so far as I can see, most mixers have flexi tails. I'm rather wary of
pressurised flexis over long periods (that's the reason I go for high-rated
hose for the washing machine).
Are there any things to aware of with flexi tails; also, how are they
attached to the tap? I'm wondering about adapting them to take copper pipe
(10mm?).

I have fitted 1/4 turn mixers which come with tapered copper pipes.

I have also fitted lots of flexi-tails during the cottage refurb and
come to suspect they suffer from poor installation. It is very easy to
put a twist into the flexi while tightening the fixed coupling. Also
some supplied with the tap assembly were only rated at 3 bar!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 18:26:20 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

Installation I can do; 3 bar - that's OK for indirect, but then downrate for
hot water...!
This is why I want to replace the flexi with copper. I assume, but don't
know, that the flexi is detachable.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

Looking at various taps atm - might go over to the dark side and have ¼-turn
ones.
Not sure if 2 taps or mixer - depends on the new basin.

Now, so far as I can see, most mixers have flexi tails.

My 1/4 turn mixer fitted 12 years ago has rigid copper pipes perhaps
3/8" that flared out to 15mm for compression fittings, quite a sod to fit.

Parents fitted last year smaller flexis that fitted hand tight only up
into the block, and had compression ends crimped on ... much easier to
fit as there's never any space while you're working upside down under
the sink, flexi lifespan? who knows ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 17:40:30 UTC, PeterC wrote:
Looking at various taps atm - might go over to the dark side and have ź-turn
ones.
Not sure if 2 taps or mixer - depends on the new basin.

Now, so far as I can see, most mixers have flexi tails. I'm rather wary of
pressurised flexis over long periods (that's the reason I go for high-rated
hose for the washing machine).
Are there any things to aware of with flexi tails; also, how are they
attached to the tap? I'm wondering about adapting them to take copper pipe
(10mm?).

You are quite right to be suspicious.
They are much quicker to install
BUT
I thought the braid was stainless steel. It isn't. the braid on mine is rusting. Condensation due to the cold water I expect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 07:56:08 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

PeterC wrote:

Looking at various taps atm - might go over to the dark side and have ¼-turn
ones.
Not sure if 2 taps or mixer - depends on the new basin.

Now, so far as I can see, most mixers have flexi tails.

My 1/4 turn mixer fitted 12 years ago has rigid copper pipes perhaps
3/8" that flared out to 15mm for compression fittings, quite a sod to fit.

Now you mention it, I fitted a mixer about 18 yeras ago and that had copper
tails - yes, bit awkward up behind the sink as they weren't quite long
enough to show.

Parents fitted last year smaller flexis that fitted hand tight only up
into the block, and had compression ends crimped on ... much easier to
fit as there's never any space while you're working upside down under
the sink, flexi lifespan? who knows ...

This is for a basin, possibly wall-hung, so a bit more access, I hope.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 00:36:42 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 17:40:30 UTC, PeterC wrote:
Looking at various taps atm - might go over to the dark side and have ¼-turn
ones.
Not sure if 2 taps or mixer - depends on the new basin.

Now, so far as I can see, most mixers have flexi tails. I'm rather wary of
pressurised flexis over long periods (that's the reason I go for high-rated
hose for the washing machine).
Are there any things to aware of with flexi tails; also, how are they
attached to the tap? I'm wondering about adapting them to take copper pipe
(10mm?).

You are quite right to be suspicious.
They are much quicker to install
BUT
I thought the braid was stainless steel. It isn't. the braid on mine is rusting. Condensation due to the cold water I expect.

Could be cheap St. st., i.e. 18% chromium. OK for cutlery that's washed and
dried but for long term wetness... The hinges on my windows are mde of that
and they are a touch rusty in places.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote in
:

Looking at various taps atm - might go over to the dark side and have
¼-turn ones.
Not sure if 2 taps or mixer - depends on the new basin.

Now, so far as I can see, most mixers have flexi tails. I'm rather
wary of pressurised flexis over long periods (that's the reason I go
for high-rated hose for the washing machine).
Are there any things to aware of with flexi tails; also, how are they
attached to the tap? I'm wondering about adapting them to take copper
pipe (10mm?).

Surely if you are handy enough to even consider changing the tails then you
will be able to replace flexies if they begin to show any sign of failing.

Have a good look at what is available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 17:40:30 UTC, PeterC wrote:
Looking at various taps atm - might go over to the dark side and have ź-turn
ones.
Not sure if 2 taps or mixer - depends on the new basin.

Now, so far as I can see, most mixers have flexi tails. I'm rather wary of
pressurised flexis over long periods (that's the reason I go for high-rated
hose for the washing machine).
Are there any things to aware of with flexi tails; also, how are they
attached to the tap? I'm wondering about adapting them to take copper pipe
(10mm?).

The other problem with them is, if your sink is very thin SS, it flexes when you operate the taps.
The flexibl pipes give no rigidity where a conventional copper pipe would.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 17:49:56 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

PeterC wrote in
:

Looking at various taps atm - might go over to the dark side and have
¼-turn ones.
Not sure if 2 taps or mixer - depends on the new basin.

Now, so far as I can see, most mixers have flexi tails. I'm rather
wary of pressurised flexis over long periods (that's the reason I go
for high-rated hose for the washing machine).
Are there any things to aware of with flexi tails; also, how are they
attached to the tap? I'm wondering about adapting them to take copper
pipe (10mm?).

Surely if you are handy enough to even consider changing the tails then you
will be able to replace flexies if they begin to show any sign of failing.

I suspect that a flexi would fail to the point of leaking without any
external signs, but certainly occasional inspection is worthwhile.

Have a good look at what is available.

Had time to pop into B&Q yesterday. No tails on any of the taps on display,
they're bolted down (slackening off one did show the inlets a bit) and all
of the boxes were strapped shut.
I saw a Bristan on a site and that had copper tails.
I do wonder how good the flow is from a combi through such a small inlet.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away