Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RJ45 Cat5e plugs

I have been looking for some of the Cat5e RJ45 plugs to terminate a
couple of lan cables.
I bought some 2 part plugs, but they were too wide and wouldn't go into
a standard RJ45 socket. I then bought some more RJ45 plugs , not 2 part
tho', and they were the same, too wide for the socket.

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write
ups, but not from me!

Any ideas as to what's going on with the said plugs, and I am no loath
to buy any more in case they are the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
I have been looking for some of the Cat5e RJ45 plugs to terminate a
couple of lan cables.
I bought some 2 part plugs, but they were too wide and wouldn't go into
a standard RJ45 socket. I then bought some more RJ45 plugs , not 2 part
tho', and they were the same, too wide for the socket.

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write
ups, but not from me!

Any ideas as to what's going on with the said plugs, and I am no loath
to buy any more in case they are the same.

ooops , wrong group, apologies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 22:04:37 +0000, RobH wrote:

On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
I have been looking for some of the Cat5e RJ45 plugs to terminate a
couple of lan cables.
I bought some 2 part plugs, but they were too wide and wouldn't go into
a standard RJ45 socket. I then bought some more RJ45 plugs , not 2 part
tho', and they were the same, too wide for the socket.

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write
ups, but not from me!

Any ideas as to what's going on with the said plugs, and I am no loath
to buy any more in case they are the same.

ooops , wrong group, apologies.

As a thought, are you sure you are dealing with an RJ45 / LAN socket
and not an RJ11 / Phone type socket?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
I have been looking for some of the Cat5e RJ45 plugs to terminate a
couple of lan cables.
I bought some 2 part plugs, but they were too wide and wouldn't go into
a standard RJ45 socket. I then bought some more RJ45 plugs , not 2 part
tho', and they were the same, too wide for the socket.

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write
ups, but not from me!

Any ideas as to what's going on with the said plugs, and I am no loath
to buy any more in case they are the same.

ooops , wrong group, apologies.

As a thought, are you sure you are dealing with an RJ45 / LAN socket
and not an RJ11 / Phone type socket?

Cheers, T i m

Lan socket, cable tester, laptop and a netgear switch, where the plugs
would not fit in any of them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
I have been looking for some of the Cat5e RJ45 plugs to terminate a
couple of lan cables.
I bought some 2 part plugs, but they were too wide and wouldn't go into
a standard RJ45 socket. I then bought some more RJ45 plugs , not 2 part
tho', and they were the same, too wide for the socket.

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write
ups, but not from me!

Any ideas as to what's going on with the said plugs, and I am no loath
to buy any more in case they are the same.

Sounds like you are trying to plug them into a socket that is not RJ45...

A RJ45 should be about 12mm wide, with 8 poles.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to plug them into a socket that is not RJ45...
A RJ45 should be about 12mm wide, with 8 poles.

A usb type A plug will *just*` fit into an ethernet socket, but not
vice-versa , though I would expect someone who sets out to make up their
own cable to know the difference!

I had to make up some 10P10C serial cables for an emulex terminal server
a few years ago, slight confusion when you accidentally drag one of them
out of the spare cables box and wonder why it doesn't fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to plug them into a socket that is not
RJ45... A RJ45 should be about 12mm wide, with 8 poles.

A usb type A plug will *just*` fit into an ethernet socket, but not
vice-versa , though I would expect someone who sets out to make up their
own cable to know the difference!

and a 'figure of 8' mains connector will fit over 2 pins of an XLR3!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2019 10:17, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
I have been looking for some of the Cat5e RJ45 plugs to terminate a
couple of lan cables.
I bought some 2 part plugs, but they were too wide and wouldn't go
into a standard RJ45 socket. I then bought some more RJ45 plugs , not
2 part tho', and they were the same, too wide for the socket.

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and
write ups, but not from me!

Any ideas as to what's going on with the said plugs, and I am no loath
to buy any more in case they are the same.

Sounds like you are trying to plug them into a socket that is not RJ45...

A RJ45 should be about 12mm wide, with 8 poles.

Nope, laptop RJ45 socket and cable tester RJ45,and a netgear switch RJ45
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 January 2019 20:15:43 UTC, RobH wrote:

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write
ups, but not from me!

Link to the ones you bought from Amazon?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobH wrote:
On 25/01/2019 16:39, pcb1962 wrote:
On Thursday, 24 January 2019 20:15:43 UTC, RobH wrote:

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write
ups, but not from me!

Link to the ones you bought from Amazon?

Yes I did

Not in this thread you havent. Sounds like youve been sold some
mislabelled plugs that arent RJ45.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2019 17:05, Tim+ wrote:
RobH wrote:
On 25/01/2019 16:39, pcb1962 wrote:
On Thursday, 24 January 2019 20:15:43 UTC, RobH wrote:

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write
ups, but not from me!

Link to the ones you bought from Amazon?

Yes I did

Not in this thread you havent. Sounds like youve been sold some
mislabelled plugs that arent RJ45.

Tim

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up myself, and a
couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers 123 then 567.
Now I have just found that the 2 I bought don't work plugged directly
into my router lan socket then to my laptop.

If I remember right, a few years ago, the cables I made up myself, all
the lights blinked 1-8, and do work fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , charles
scribeth thus
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to plug them into a socket that is not
RJ45... A RJ45 should be about 12mm wide, with 8 poles.

A usb type A plug will *just*` fit into an ethernet socket, but not
vice-versa , though I would expect someone who sets out to make up their
own cable to know the difference!

and a 'figure of 8' mains connector will fit over 2 pins of an XLR3!

How do you find that out;?...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 17:38:22 +0000, RobH wrote:

snip

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up myself, and a
couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers 123 then 567.

Strange. 3 pairs?

Now I have just found that the 2 I bought don't work plugged directly
into my router lan socket then to my laptop.

A 'basic' cable needs 1+2 and 3+6 as used in Cat3/5 and ideally with
each in twisted pairs and correctly polarised.

If I remember right, a few years ago, the cables I made up myself, all
the lights blinked 1-8, and do work fine.

That would be typical for Cat5e onwards with the same pinout as above
but also with 4+5 and 7+8.

All straight though cables should test out as 1-1, pins 1 to 8.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tony sayer
wrote:
In article , charles
scribeth thus
In article , Andy Burns
wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to plug them into a socket that is not
RJ45... A RJ45 should be about 12mm wide, with 8 poles.

A usb type A plug will *just*` fit into an ethernet socket, but not
vice-versa , though I would expect someone who sets out to make up
their own cable to know the difference!

and a 'figure of 8' mains connector will fit over 2 pins of an XLR3!

How do you find that out;?...

known it for years. Granada tv banned figure of 8 mains cables for that
reason.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 17:38:22 +0000, RobH wrote:

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up myself, and a
couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers 123 then 567.

With four cables all showing the same fault I'd be suspicious of the
tester. Have you checked that is working correctly.

Now I have just found that the 2 I bought don't work plugged directly
into my router lan socket then to my laptop.

With 1/2 and 3/6 connected they ought to work.
Unless gigabit and the fall back to 100BaseT isn't working.
Unless very old kit that doesn't do Auto MDI-X.
Or modern kit with one of the ports not set to "auto".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 20:21:00 +0000, T i m wrote:

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up myself,

and a
couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers 123 then

567.

Strange. 3 pairs?

Only two. The pairs are 1/2 3/6 4/5 7/8.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 20:47:43 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 20:21:00 +0000, T i m wrote:

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up myself,

and a
couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers 123 then

567.

Strange. 3 pairs?

Only two.

Except that 6 pins connected only indicates 3 pairs?

And I wasn't suggesting there were 3 pairs, just that's how it
indicates.

The pairs are 1/2 3/6 4/5 7/8.

I know, that's what I said. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
I have been looking for some of the Cat5e RJ45 plugs to terminate a
couple of lan cables.
I bought some 2 part plugs, but they were too wide and wouldn't go
into a standard RJ45 socket. I then bought some more RJ45 plugs , not
2 part tho', and they were the same, too wide for the socket.

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and
write ups, but not from me!

Any ideas as to what's going on with the said plugs, and I am no
loath to buy any more in case they are the same.

Sounds like you are trying to plug them into a socket that is not RJ45...

A RJ45 should be about 12mm wide, with 8 poles.

Nope, laptop RJ45 socket and cable tester RJ45,and a netgear switch RJ45

Not entirely sure how to interpret that statement.... nope what?

If they are all RJ45, then RJ45 will fit. If something does not fit,
then ISTM its not RJ45.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 21:56:26 +0000, T i m wrote:

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up

myself,
and a couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers

123
then 567.

Strange. 3 pairs?

Only two.

Except that 6 pins connected only indicates 3 pairs?

No it only indicates 6 wires. How those 6 wires are divided into
pairs is unknown from the information given.

Assumption that the tester is one of the cheap cyclic LED jobies and
the the LEDS 1 2 3 - 5 6 7 - only light up ( - means no light up) in
sequence and the same on the tester and remote unit.

As the RJ series only goes in even numbers of positions and we have a
number 7 the conector is either an 8 position or 10 position one. A
10 position would not fit a network cable tester so we have an 8
position one. The cables being tested are supposed to be network ones
so should be following T568A or T568B. Meaning that there are only
two working pairs 1/2 and 3/6. 4/5 and 7/8 each have one leg missing
so are not pairs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles writes:
In article , tony sayer
wrote:
In article , charles
scribeth thus
In article , Andy Burns
wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to plug them into a socket that is not
RJ45... A RJ45 should be about 12mm wide, with 8 poles.

A usb type A plug will *just*` fit into an ethernet socket, but not
vice-versa , though I would expect someone who sets out to make up
their own cable to know the difference!

and a 'figure of 8' mains connector will fit over 2 pins of an XLR3!

How do you find that out;?...

known it for years. Granada tv banned figure of 8 mains cables for that
reason.

Old Italian telephone plugs looked like and fitted perfectly
into our 3-pin 2A BS 546 mains sockets.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 23:08:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 21:56:26 +0000, T i m wrote:

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up

myself,
and a couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers

123
then 567.

Strange. 3 pairs?

Only two.

Except that 6 pins connected only indicates 3 pairs?

No it only indicates 6 wires. How those 6 wires are divided into
pairs is unknown from the information given.

Quite, but not in the spirit of the comment I was making.

Assumption that the tester is one of the cheap cyclic LED jobies and
the the LEDS 1 2 3 - 5 6 7 - only light up ( - means no light up) in
sequence and the same on the tester and remote unit.

Yup.

As the RJ series only goes in even numbers of positions and we have a
number 7 the conector is either an 8 position or 10 position one. A
10 position would not fit a network cable tester so we have an 8
position one.

Yup?

The cables being tested are supposed to be network ones
so should be following T568A or T568B. Meaning that there are only
two working pairs 1/2 and 3/6. 4/5 and 7/8 each have one leg missing
so are not pairs.

Agreed, but see above.

My point was *if the interconnecting cable between the plugs has 8
wires, and that the wires for such network cables are wired in pairs,
then if there isn't a full compliment of connections available then
there 'must be something wrong'*. I wasn't actually commenting on
'pairs' at all.

But I agree, it sounds like there could be an issue with the tester
(contacts within) or more than one duff cable.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
[...]

2 lines up from where my reply is, it says :

Sounds like you are trying to plug them into a socket that is not
RJ45...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I tend to think it is something to do with tester and I have ordered
another one, not the same tho'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2019 20:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 17:38:22 +0000, RobH wrote:

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up myself, and a
couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers 123 then 567.

With four cables all showing the same fault I'd be suspicious of the
tester. Have you checked that is working correctly.

Now I have just found that the 2 I bought don't work plugged directly
into my router lan socket then to my laptop.

With 1/2 and 3/6 connected they ought to work.
Unless gigabit and the fall back to 100BaseT isn't working.
Unless very old kit that doesn't do Auto MDI-X.
Or modern kit with one of the ports not set to "auto".

A big ooops from me.
I connected each of the cables, which I deemed as not working when
connected to my laptop, to another desktop, and hey oh, they did work.

It now looks like there is something wrong with my laptop's ethernet
RJ45 socket is at fault.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2019 20:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 17:38:22 +0000, RobH wrote:

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up myself, and a
couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers 123 then 567.

With four cables all showing the same fault I'd be suspicious of the
tester. Have you checked that is working correctly.

Now I have just found that the 2 I bought don't work plugged directly
into my router lan socket then to my laptop.

With 1/2 and 3/6 connected they ought to work.
Unless gigabit and the fall back to 100BaseT isn't working.
Unless very old kit that doesn't do Auto MDI-X.
Or modern kit with one of the ports not set to "auto".

A big oops here as when I tried them connected direct from the router to
a desktop, they all worked.

It now looks like the RJ45 ethernet socket on my laptop has bit the dust.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
I have been looking for some of the Cat5e RJ45 plugs to terminate a
couple of lan cables.
I bought some 2 part plugs, but they were too wide and wouldn't go into
a standard RJ45 socket. I then bought some more RJ45 plugs , not 2 part
tho', and they were the same, too wide for the socket.

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write
ups, but not from me!

Any ideas as to what's going on with the said plugs, and I am no loath
to buy any more in case they are the same.

ooops , wrong group, apologies.

As a thought, are you sure you are dealing with an RJ45 / LAN socket
and not an RJ11 / Phone type socket?

Cheers, T i m

Lan socket, cable tester, laptop and a netgear switch, where the plugs
would not fit in any of them

So its not a RJ45 plug then is it...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
I have been looking for some of the Cat5e RJ45 plugs to terminate a
couple of lan cables.
I bought some 2 part plugs, but they were too wide and wouldn't go into
a standard RJ45 socket. I then bought some more RJ45 plugs , not 2 part
tho', and they were the same, too wide for the socket.

The ones I bought were from Amazon, and they had good reviews and write
ups, but not from me!

Any ideas as to what's going on with the said plugs, and I am no loath
to buy any more in case they are the same.

ooops , wrong group, apologies.

As a thought, are you sure you are dealing with an RJ45 / LAN socket
and not an RJ11 / Phone type socket?

Cheers, T i m

Lan socket, cable tester, laptop and a netgear switch, where the plugs
would not fit in any of them

So its not a RJ45 plug then is it...

Methinks RobH is just playing with us.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 15:06:13 +0000, RobH wrote:

snip

A big oops here as when I tried them connected direct from the router to
a desktop, they all worked.

It now looks like the RJ45 ethernet socket on my laptop has bit the dust.

I would first look inside the socket at the pins and check they
haven't been distorted / miss located.

As I believe has been mentioned, you can easily plug a Type A USB plug
into an RJ45 socket and 'sometimes' the pins get bent, losing their
shape and so tension.

I have generally been able to straighten and re-tension the pins using
a couple of small flat-bladed screwdrivers and some quality fine
tweezers.

And / or one bent, they don't it back in the right places (little
'bays' in the socket moulding).

Or it could also have been damaged electrically / just failed. ;-)

If the Ethernet port is on the mobo then you might find a new Mobo on
eBay pretty cheaply or it may even be on a 'remote' board (even
cheaper). Or you can use a USB Ethernet adaptor, if you just need
USB for connectivity rather than performance etc.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobH wrote:

It now looks like the RJ45 ethernet socket on my laptop has bit the dust.

check for "fluff" or bent spring contacts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 January 2019 23:25:23 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
It now looks like the RJ45 ethernet socket on my laptop has bit the dust.

check for "fluff" or bent spring contacts

Or, if you have small children, chewing gum, cat biscuits, etc.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2019 22:32, T i m wrote:
[...]

I had a look inside the rj45 socket using a small torch and it looks
like the the brown wire pin and the orange / white wire pin are right up
to the top of the back slot. The brown / wire wire pin looks like it is
flat down to the bottom of the back slot, and the rest of the wire pins
are all in a line just up from the bottom of the back slot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Worth noting that some of the intermediate level testers that are
capable of not only identifying that the right point to point
connections are made, but can also identify when split pairs have been
used, will often have a minimum length of cable they can reliably test
for this. On mine its about 0.5m

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The new tester arrived and I tested 2 bought cables and one I made up
myself. They all tested fine with all 8 lights lighting up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2019 21:15, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
[...]

Err, no I wasn't actually.
Anyway I have measured the width of a couple of RJ45 plugs, and the
standard ones I already have is 11mm across the width of the plug,
whereas the too wide ones are about 11.2mm or a bit more

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 11:22:33 +0000, RobH wrote:

snip

[...]

Once you have ascertained what is 'normal', you might be able to
'gently' ease each of the pins back in place.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobH wrote:

Anyway I have measured the width of a couple of RJ45 plugs, and the
standard ones I already have is 11mm across the width of the plug,
whereas the too wide ones are about 11.2mm or a bit more

The spec says 11.684mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobH wrote:

I had a look inside the rj45 socket using a small torch and it looks
like the the brown wire pin and the orange / white wire pin are right up
to the top of the back slot.

Could someone have inserted a 6pin plug instead of 8pin? That might
force the contacts out of line.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobH wrote:
On 26/01/2019 21:15, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 24/01/2019 20:15, RobH wrote:
[...]

And Ive just measured a bunch of standard network cable plugs. All 11.6mm.

Once again you provide information only to confuse. You havent yet
provided a link to the ones that you bought that you say are too big (and
yet according to your measurements theyre too small).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2019 17:04, Andy Burns wrote:
RobH wrote:

I had a look inside the rj45 socket using a small torch and it looks
like the the brown wire pin and the orange / white wire pin are right
up to the top of the back slot.

Could someone have inserted a 6pin plug instead of 8pin?Â* That might
force the contacts out of line.

I doubt that very much as it's only me that uses the laptop