Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RJ45 & RJ11 module plugs

I am doing some remolding and I ran some wiring. Since I had a bunch
of cat5 cable I ran it to use for phone wire. I went to the big box
store to get some module plugs for the phone and all they sold was
RJ45 plugs and they say they works for both RJ45 & RJ11. The wiring
diagram that came with the module plugs only show to wire it up one
way using all 8 wires. The question I have is do I wire the phone
plug up with all 8 wires just like the RJ45 plug?
Posted to alt.home.repair

No, phone wires only use 2 wires. On the RJ45 its pins 4&5 ( the 2
middle pair) as the other poster said. It should be color coded as
white/blue and blue white. We use RJ 45's at work for phones and they
work fine.
Now if you want to be creative, if you think of going to put in a 2
line phone in the future, you need to wire an additional pair to the
jack. In this case it would be pins 3 and 6 ( I believe its color
coded white/green and green white). So now you would have 2 dial tones
on the jack that would work with a 2 line phone if you ever plugged
one in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike rock wrote:
No, phone wires only use 2 wires. On the RJ45 its pins 4&5 ( the 2
middle pair) as the other poster said. It should be color coded as
white/blue and blue white. We use RJ 45's at work for phones and they
work fine.
Now if you want to be creative, if you think of going to put in a 2
line phone in the future, you need to wire an additional pair to the
jack. In this case it would be pins 3 and 6 ( I believe its color
coded white/green and green white). So now you would have 2 dial tones
on the jack that would work with a 2 line phone if you ever plugged
one in.

Nope, pair 2 is white/orange, orange/white or black & yellow in a two
pair cable.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are two competing standards (T-568A and T-568B) for what is commonly
called an RJ-45 and each has it's own color scheme:

http://www.incentre.net/content/view/75/2/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
There are two competing standards (T-568A and T-568B) for what is commonly
called an RJ-45 and each has it's own color scheme:

http://www.incentre.net/content/view/75/2/

That's Ethernet wiring for data, I posted about telephone
system wiring. You won't generally see Ethernet wiring
connections for phones unless they're VOIP or some old
Merlin business systems. I do the stuff all the time for
money. Isn't that amazing? People give me money when I
install or repair telephone and data systems.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 9:48*pm, "
wrote:
I am doing some remolding and I ran some wiring. *Since I had a bunch
of cat5 cable I ran it to use for phone wire. *I went to the big box
store to get some module plugs for the phone and all they sold was
RJ45 plugs and they say they works for both RJ45 & RJ11. * The wiring
diagram that came with the module plugs only show to wire it up one
way using all 8 wires. *The question I have is do I wire the phone
plug up with all 8 wires just like the RJ45 plug?

Sure wire up all 8 (I usually use the B wiring).

To not confuse people you could get those little plastic inserts that
convert an RJ45 to RJ11, but the RJ45's work just fine and its nice
having the extra pairs in the wall for multiple lines or even running
back infrared sensors, etc. Those plastic inserts just block off the
full width jack to that of a RJ6, they only cost a few cents each.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 11:06*pm, windcrest wrote:
On Aug 8, 9:48*pm, "

wrote:
I am doing some remolding and I ran some wiring. *Since I had a bunch
of cat5 cable I ran it to use for phone wire. *I went to the big box
store to get some module plugs for the phone and all they sold was
RJ45 plugs and they say they works for both RJ45 & RJ11. * The wiring
diagram that came with the module plugs only show to wire it up one
way using all 8 wires. *The question I have is do I wire the phone
plug up with all 8 wires just like the RJ45 plug?

Sure wire up all 8 (I usually use the B wiring).

To not confuse people you could get those little plastic inserts that
convert an RJ45 to RJ11, but the RJ45's work just fine and its nice
having the extra pairs in the wall for multiple lines or even running
back infrared sensors, etc. *Those plastic inserts just block off the
full width jack to that of a RJ6, they only cost a few cents each.

I meant RJ11 not RJ6
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am doing some remolding and I ran some wiring. *Since I had a bunch
of cat5 cable I ran it to use for phone wire. *I went to the big box
store to get some module plugs for the phone and all they sold was
RJ45 plugs and they say they works for both RJ45 & RJ11. * The wiring
diagram that came with the module plugs only show to wire it up one
way using all 8 wires. *The question I have is do I wire the phone
plug up with all 8 wires just like the RJ45 plug?

Sure wire up all 8 (I usually use the B wiring).

To not confuse people you could get those little plastic inserts that
convert an RJ45 to RJ11, but the RJ45's work just fine and its nice
having the extra pairs in the wall for multiple lines or even running
back infrared sensors, etc. *Those plastic inserts just block off the
full width jack to that of a RJ6, they only cost a few cents each.

These things:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=8125

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Cut it out! You're confusing them. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 6:02*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Mike rock wrote:
No, phone wires only use 2 wires. On the RJ45 its pins 4&5 ( the 2
middle pair) as the other poster said. It should be color coded as
white/blue and blue white. We use RJ 45's at work for phones and they
work fine.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will use the RJ45 plugs and use
the blue/blue white wires for line one. I really doubt that I will
ever have more than one line in my house so I should be all set.

THANKS,