Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobH RobH is offline

Default RJ45 Cat5e plugs

On 25/01/2019 20:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 17:38:22 +0000, RobH wrote:

Can I just ask that some of my cables, a couple I made up myself, and a
couple I have bought,why they only light up led numbers 123 then 567.

With four cables all showing the same fault I'd be suspicious of the
tester. Have you checked that is working correctly.

Now I have just found that the 2 I bought don't work plugged directly
into my router lan socket then to my laptop.

With 1/2 and 3/6 connected they ought to work.
Unless gigabit and the fall back to 100BaseT isn't working.
Unless very old kit that doesn't do Auto MDI-X.
Or modern kit with one of the ports not set to "auto".

A big ooops from me.
I connected each of the cables, which I deemed as not working when
connected to my laptop, to another desktop, and hey oh, they did work.

It now looks like there is something wrong with my laptop's ethernet
RJ45 socket is at fault.