Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TP-LINK dongle

Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine. Phone
beside the PC shows excellent strength. Moved the desktop to the same room
as my laptop which works fine - same thing.

System is BT infinity. Never had a problem getting any other WiFi device
to connect to it.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine.

do the dongle and your router have a frequency (2.4GHz or 5GHz) in common?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine. Phone
beside the PC shows excellent strength. Moved the desktop to the same room
as my laptop which works fine - same thing.

System is BT infinity. Never had a problem getting any other WiFi device
to connect to it.

do you need a driver in the Win7 machine to make it work?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine. Phone
beside the PC shows excellent strength. Moved the desktop to the same room
as my laptop which works fine - same thing.

System is BT infinity. Never had a problem getting any other WiFi device
to connect to it.

Is your router set to broadcast its SSID?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine. Phone
beside the PC shows excellent strength. Moved the desktop to the same
room
as my laptop which works fine - same thing.

System is BT infinity. Never had a problem getting any other WiFi device
to connect to it.

do you need a driver in the Win7 machine to make it work?

Can't be that because it can see the neighbours wifis fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 21:28:13 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine.

do the dongle and your router have a frequency (2.4GHz or 5GHz) in common?

+1

Dave. The dongle may (only) be the older 2.4GHz band whereas your
router may be set to only use the 5Ghz band (hence why it isn't seen).

If you look at the router config (probably in the 'advanced' section)
you should see mention of such.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So this is one of those sticks plugged into the usb is it? Could it be that
it does not support the new bands used for wifi?
I found this with an old netgear stick I found. It will see my old router
but a new one, no, at least not until I fiddled with the settings to make it
operate at the lower frequencies.
Bah humbug. When did life get so complicated?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine. Phone
beside the PC shows excellent strength. Moved the desktop to the same room
as my laptop which works fine - same thing.

System is BT infinity. Never had a problem getting any other WiFi device
to connect to it.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2019 21:28, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine.

do the dongle and your router have a frequency (2.4GHz or 5GHz) in common?

Your dongle is obviously extreme right wing and is suffering from
cognitive dissonance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine. Phone
beside the PC shows excellent strength. Moved the desktop to the same room
as my laptop which works fine - same thing.

System is BT infinity. Never had a problem getting any other WiFi device
to connect to it.

My recollection is that BT routers use both bands when initially set up,
but there's probably a facility to turn one off.

I have a TPLink dongle TL-WN321G that works fine on W10. Would you care
to share which one you're using, Dave?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
So this is one of those sticks plugged into the usb is it? Could it be
that it does not support the new bands used for wifi?
I found this with an old netgear stick I found. It will see my old router
but a new one, no, at least not until I fiddled with the settings to make
it operate at the lower frequencies.
Bah humbug. When did life get so complicated?

As soon as you buggers produced the industrial revolution.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine. Phone
beside the PC shows excellent strength. Moved the desktop to the same
room
as my laptop which works fine - same thing.

System is BT infinity. Never had a problem getting any other WiFi device
to connect to it.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2019 07:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
Normally Windows 7 is pretty good at finding these on itself or it will have
a moan and you might need to connect it by wire just to download the
drivers, but if its seeing other networks my money is on the band issue.
Brian

Did Dave get the message from Windows about a new device being plugged
in ?.

Does it show up in the list of devices in control panel-device mgr ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2019 10:48, Andrew wrote:
On 24/01/2019 07:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
Normally Windows 7 is pretty good at finding these on itself or it
will have
a moan and you might need to connect it by wire just to download the
drivers, but if its seeing other networks my money is on the band issue.
Â* Brian

Did Dave get the message from Windows about a new device being plugged
in ?.

Does it show up in the list of devices in control panel-device mgr ?

He did say that it "shows all my neighbour's signals".

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2019 09:50, Rod Speed wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
So this is one of those sticks plugged into the usb is it? Could it be
that it does not support the new bands used for wifi?
I found this with an old netgear stick I found. It will see my old
router but a new one, no, at least not until I fiddled with the
settings to make it operate at the lower frequencies.
Bah humbug. When did life get so complicated?

As soon as you buggers produced the industrial revolution.

When we deported all those creative thinkers for sheep-stealing, etc.

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 21:09:35 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't
have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine. Phone
beside the PC shows excellent strength. Moved the desktop to the same room
as my laptop which works fine - same thing.

System is BT infinity. Never had a problem getting any other WiFi device
to connect to it.

--

There are some very handy apps for mobile phones which will tell you what devices are transmitting in the area. Often a damn site easier to use than trying to work out what is happening from routers and computers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
There are some very handy apps for mobile phones which will tell you
what devices are transmitting in the area. Often a damn site easier to
use than trying to work out what is happening from routers and computers.

Don't know about an app - my Samsung phone does that anyway. Similar to a
laptop. My phone is PAYG, so I use WiFi quite a bit.

--
*IF YOU TRY TO FAIL, AND SUCCEED, WHICH HAVE YOU DONE?