Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - USB Wireless Dongle

I have a wireless laptop connected via a Belkin Router to the Virgin
Broadband. My Desktop PC is currently wired.

For the sake of a few quid I could get a wireless dongle and do away with
the wire which goes up the side of the house, across the loft and down the
bedroom wall.

I have noticed that two different speeds of dongle are offered for sale -
150 Mbps and 300 Mbps. In real terms will I see a difference in the
performance of them. My Broadband is 10mbps. The desktop PC is running XP. I
don't run games.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa... SEARCH&comp=

Regards

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBoy wrote:
I have a wireless laptop connected via a Belkin Router to the Virgin
Broadband. My Desktop PC is currently wired.

For the sake of a few quid I could get a wireless dongle and do away with
the wire which goes up the side of the house, across the loft and down the
bedroom wall.

I have noticed that two different speeds of dongle are offered for sale -
150 Mbps and 300 Mbps. In real terms will I see a difference in the
performance of them. My Broadband is 10mbps. The desktop PC is running XP.
don't run games.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa... SEARCH&comp=

Nah - your data speed is limited by the slowest link in the chain, the ISP.
Any wifi dongle that reliably connects with 2 bars or better will carry
that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBoy" No-one wrote in message
I have a wireless laptop connected via a Belkin Router to the Virgin
Broadband. My Desktop PC is currently wired.

For the sake of a few quid I could get a wireless dongle and do away with
the wire which goes up the side of the house, across the loft and down the
bedroom wall.

I have noticed that two different speeds of dongle are offered for sale -
150 Mbps and 300 Mbps. In real terms will I see a difference in the
performance of them. My Broadband is 10mbps. The desktop PC is running XP.
I don't run games.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa... SEARCH&comp=

If you only use it for internet buy the cheapest, the speed doesn't make
much difference.
That is the simple bit anyway.

If you did want the fast one you would need a compatible router as the high
speed dongles need high speed routers to give the speed.

Be aware that wireless may not work if the walls are too thick or absorbent
or many other things which are rare but do happen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa...5044&man=0&fil...

If you only use it for internet buy the cheapest, the speed doesn't make
much difference.
That is the simple bit anyway.

If you did want the fast one you would need a compatible router as the high
speed dongles need high speed routers to give the speed.

Be aware that wireless may not work if the walls are too thick or absorbent
or many other things which are rare but do happen.

My router is a 300Mbps N . My house is a modern one and line of sight
between Router and PC is through one ceiling/floor. About 30 feet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 6:52*pm, DerbyBorn wrote:
On Jul 23, 5:48*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:

[...]

between Router and PC is through one ceiling/floor. About 30 feet.- Hide quoted text -

........apart from Broadband useage - will I notice any difference in
sharing files between the computers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It'll depend on your computers' HD speeds mostly, as they're usually the
slowest link in the chain. I can't come close to saturating a 54Meg link
between mine, but they *are* both laptops.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:48:02 +0100, dennis@home
wrote:

[...]

Although the new AirDrop feature in Mac OSX Lion sounds as if it goes
directly from one computer to another - not via a router. Would actually
like to know if that is in any way throttled by a slow router?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

On 23/07/2011 17:21, DerbyBoy wrote:
I have a wireless laptop connected via a Belkin Router to the Virgin
Broadband. My Desktop PC is currently wired.

For the sake of a few quid I could get a wireless dongle and do away
with the wire which goes up the side of the house, across the loft and
down the bedroom wall.

I have noticed that two different speeds of dongle are offered for sale
- 150 Mbps and 300 Mbps. In real terms will I see a difference in the
performance of them. My Broadband is 10mbps. The desktop PC is running
XP. I don't run games.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa... SEARCH&comp=

I don't have an answer about the different speeds, but I would expect
them both to be box speeds only, and in the real world, the actual
speeds will be much slower.

You can test whether a wireless connection will be slower than the
current wired by putting the laptop next to the desktop PC and visiting
http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ on both.

Run 3 tests on each and take the average.

I would expect the wired connection to be faster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DerbyBorn wrote:
On Jul 23, 6:52*pm, DerbyBorn wrote:

My router is a 300Mbps N . My house is a modern one and line of sight
between Router and PC is through one ceiling/floor. About 30 feet.- Hide quoted text -

.......apart from Broadband useage - will I notice any difference in
sharing files between the computers?

Wireless to wireless will be slower than wireless to wired or v.v as the
packets have to go via the router twice so need double the bandwidth.
In theory you'd get half the speed but IME it is much less than that,
you need to throttle it down to 1/10 speed otherwise the wireless
performance becomes appalling for interactive use as well. We found
this in the office and I get it at home. I suspect it's due to buffering.

Usually the double-speed rate relies on having two free wireless channels
to bond together. You said your router does 802.11n, I don't know if that
is any better but I suspect not in this instance where the packets have
to go two ways over the air. It should increase speed with interference
from neighbouring wireless setups though, if you get an 802.11n dongle.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes.
If you do that go for the 300N dongle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2011 19:41, John Williamson wrote:

It'll depend on your computers' HD speeds mostly, as they're usually the
slowest link in the chain. I can't come close to saturating a 54Meg link
between mine, but they *are* both laptops.

Depends. My PC at work (which is running 7200 RPM drives, but not in a
RAID) is capable of delivering over 500mbit over our wired links when
copying large files. If I am copying large files around here I will
take the trouble to plug a cable into my laptop - it'll easily saturate
the wireless link. On the other hand, external internet access is only
about 2mbit, so it's only worth it when copying a _lot_ of data _inside_
my own network.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:21:36 +0100, "DerbyBoy" No-one
wrote:

I have a wireless laptop connected via a Belkin Router to the Virgin
Broadband. My Desktop PC is currently wired.

For the sake of a few quid I could get a wireless dongle and do away with
the wire which goes up the side of the house, across the loft and down the
bedroom wall.

I have noticed that two different speeds of dongle are offered for sale -
150 Mbps and 300 Mbps. In real terms will I see a difference in the
performance of them. My Broadband is 10mbps. The desktop PC is running XP. I
don't run games.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa... SEARCH&comp=

Regards

John

Last week, I had to convert a PC to wireless to free up a port on my
ADSL router for a NAS device. I went for Netgear rather than Belkin
but started with a 150 mbps version which I thought would be enough.
Took it back next day and bought the 300 mbps version which is
significantly better.Less than a tenner more. Worth it in my opinion.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk