Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default space saver

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the full
size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have
to stow the full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full
of other stuff so it does save space most of the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 21:00, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so it
does save space most of the time.

Apparently the 911 comes with a big plastic bag, and there is room for
the passenger to sit with the wheel on their lap if the "boot" is full.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the full
size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so it
does save space most of the time.

Apparently the 911 comes with a big plastic bag, and there is room for the
passenger to sit with the wheel on their lap if the "boot" is full.

Yeah, problem is that someone got killed that way.
https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-411038.html

Not clear why it was in her lap fully inflated so it could burst
tho. And its obviously possible deflate it before cradling it too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the full
size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so it
does save space most of the time.

pishwater

Try that again in english, even chrome doesn’t translate gobbledegook yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/01/2019 22:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so
it does save space most of the time.

pishwater

Try that again in english, even chrome doesn’t translate gobbledegook yet.

What it means:
a) Jim entirely agrees with everything you wrote, and
b) He is humbled by the depth of your insight plus very grateful to you
for sharing it.

Possibly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"GB" wrote in message
On 20/01/2019 22:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so
it does save space most of the time.

Sod's Law says that the chance of a breakdown of any sort is proportional to
the amount of luggage that is in the boot - and which must be removed to
access the spare wheel. It is also more likely out of hours when you are in
the middle of a long journey - which is why space-saver wheels are virtually
useless because you can't fit the spare, go to a tyre workshop just round
the corner, be served immediately and be on your way in half an hour; it
just doesn't work like that. Twice I've had to delay a long journey that I
was due to make on a Sunday evening because I had a puncture which I
couldn't get repaired until the following morning, and the tyre was only
good for 100 miles max at 50 mph max - not a lot of use when you need to
make a 300 mile journey.

My feeling is that car manufacturers should move heaven and earth to
accommodate a full-size steel spare that is fully interchangeable with a
running wheel so you can delay getting the puncture repaired until it is
convenient, rather than it being an attend-to-it-right-now emergency. Those
aerosols of goo are no use to man nor beast because they guarantee that a
puncture can never be repaired, so you always need a new tyre, when a minor
puncture can normally be repaired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 22:24:32, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Quite often the wheel will actually fit, its just cheaper to supply a
space-saver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
GB wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so
it does save space most of the time.

Sod's Law says that the chance of a breakdown of any sort is proportional
to the amount of luggage that is in the boot

Only one of mine has.

And I'm not thrilled at the idea of what happens to
you if you have the original in your lap when the
airbag goes off either. Could be quite a bad hair day.

- and which must be removed to access the spare wheel. It is also more
likely out of hours when you are in the middle of a long journey - which
is why space-saver wheels are virtually useless because you can't fit the
spare, go to a tyre workshop just round the corner, be served immediately
and be on your way in half an hour; it just doesn't work like that.

Yeah, particularly as I prefer to travel long distance at night.
I never ever go to sleep at the wheel, so it works fine for me.

That’s why I am trying to avoid the new car having a space
saver even if I have to buy a new full spare and diy storing
it in the car.

You didn’t reply to my question on how reliable your Honda is.

Twice I've had to delay a long journey that I was due to make on a Sunday
evening because I had a puncture which I couldn't get repaired until the
following morning, and the tyre was only good for 100 miles max at 50 mph
max - not a lot of use when you need to make a 300 mile journey.

Yeah, I normally do the long distance trips to an event that
starts at 7am or so and prefer to leave at 1am or so and a
puncture would **** that up completely with a space savers.

My feeling is that car manufacturers should move heaven and earth to
accommodate a full-size steel spare that is fully interchangeable with a
running wheel so you can delay getting the puncture repaired until it is
convenient, rather than it being an attend-to-it-right-now emergency.

Or at least have somewhere that will take a full
sized spare and allow you add one if you want to.

Quite a few of the small SUVs do have an external full sized spare on
the back door but that makes the back door much less convenient to use.
Tho I spose it would be fine with the electric back doors so common now.
Not great for backing with a trailer tho, even the Getz which has the spare
in the boot is hard to see an empty trailer when backing. Must get off my
arse and add a cage to the trailer to make it easier to see.

Those aerosols of goo are no use to man nor beast because they guarantee
that a puncture can never be repaired, so you always need a new tyre, when
a minor puncture can normally be repaired.

And don’t work with a blowout.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Fredxx" wrote in message
Quite often the wheel will actually fit, its just cheaper to supply a
space-saver.

Yes, the hollow in the floor of my Pug 308 will almost certainly take the
width of a full size wheel rather than the "toy" spare wheel that is
provided. There is a deep tray of tools etc that could be accommodated
somewhere else. It's a shame that cars nowadays are provided with a stupid
L-shaped wheel brace instead of a proper double-cranked "starting handle"
type which is much easier for getting off difficult nuts because you can
pull up on the opposite end to the wheel to counteract the downward pressure
of your foot on the cranked bit. L-shaped ones have a tendency to pull off
the nut if you apply a lot of force, because you can't counteract the
twisting force.

My grandpa taught me how to change a wheel the easy way (this assumes that
it's a passenger-side wheel, reverse left and right in these instructions
for a driver's side wheel, and that you have a double-cranked wheelbrace):

- stand in front of the wheel, facing the rear of the car

- put the wheelbrace so its crank is at the 9-o-clock position (if you are
looking towards the wheel)

- grip the free end of the wheelbrace in your right hand

- press down on the crank with your left foot (maybe give it a little kick
if simple pressure won't shift the wheel bolt)

- once the bolt has turned quarter of a turn, only then do you jack the
wheel up - keeping it on the ground until you've loosened the bolt slightly
prevents the wheel turning - especially a front wheel on a rear-wheel-drive
car, where neither transmission nor handbrake will brake the wheel

- loosen all the bolts, then crouch down with forearms resting on inside of
knees, hold wheel at 4 and 8 o-clock positions, rock back on heels to pull
wheel off hub while taking weight on arms that are supported by thighs

- reverse to refit, making sure that bolts are tightned in order 1 4 3 2 or
some other order that is not purely consecutive, to avoid cyclic stress on
wheel which may make it unbalanced; this time stand behind wheel facing
forwards, with crank at 3-o-clock position, holiding free end in left hand.

- give each bolt a final kick on the crank to make sure bolts are tight

- check bolts for tightness after a few hundred miles

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

I got one of these after someone in here recommended one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WINO...004c4dfNH vRa

Works very well indeed and has a clever system that has the 4 most common
wheel nut sockets as well, each one doing two nut sizes which is convenient
for me because my trailer has a different wheel nut to the car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 22:31, Fredxx wrote:
On 20/01/2019 22:24:32, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Governments mandate cars should meet fuel consumption targets. We want
more electric windows, seats and technology in the car which adds to the
weight. More weight means worse consumption figures. Fitting no spare
tyre and including a can of foaming goo removes a huge chunk of weight
and brings the consumption figures back up. Or down depending on your
point of view.

It's downright daft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 22:24:32 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

My car (a Seat) only came with the goo, but there was a well for a
spare wheel. I ordered a normal wheel to put in it, but the well was
too small in diameter, even with the tyre deflated, even though it
could easily have been manufactured bigger. So I was forced to buy a
'space-saver'. I did need it once, and the car drove OK, but I wasn't
aware that it had a speed and mileage limit. Luckily I didn't have to
go far or fast.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 21:59, Rod Speed wrote:
newshound wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so
it does save space most of the time.

Apparently the 911 comes with a big plastic bag, and there is room for
the passenger to sit with the wheel on their lap if the "boot" is full.

Yeah, problem is that someone got killed that way.
https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-411038.html

Not clear why it was in her lap fully inflated so it could burst
tho. And its obviously possible deflate it before cradling it too.

Presumably they noticed that it was damaged, although it wasn't puctured
and then the weak point suddenly let go.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 20/01/2019 21:59, Rod Speed wrote:
newshound wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so
it does save space most of the time.

Apparently the 911 comes with a big plastic bag, and there is room for
the passenger to sit with the wheel on their lap if the "boot" is full.

Yeah, problem is that someone got killed that way.
https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-411038.html

Not clear why it was in her lap fully inflated so it could burst
tho. And its obviously possible deflate it before cradling it too.

Presumably they noticed that it was damaged, although it wasn't puctured
and then the weak point suddenly let go.

Yeah, that certainly sounds reasonable.

But I have since had second thoughts about what happens
to you when the airbag goes off even if you let the air out
of the tyre before hugging it in the pax seat. Tho some
cars do let you disable the pax airbag with a switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 20 January 2019 22:24:45 UTC, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
[...]

I've never used a spacesaver. What happens if you exceed the stated distance?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so it
does save space most of the time.

pishwater

Try that again in english, even chrome doesn’t translate gobbledegook yet.

totly pishwater ma man ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 20/01/2019 22:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so
it does save space most of the time.

pishwater

Try that again in english, even chrome doesn’t translate gobbledegook
yet.

What it means:
a) Jim entirely agrees with everything you wrote, and
b) He is humbled by the depth of your insight plus very grateful to you
for sharing it.

Possibly.

like feck I do .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 20/01/2019 22:24:32, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
[...]

CHEAPER is correct my 2012 mustang has the Taiwanese manufactured spare kit
and on first use the tyre wrench bent as it was flimsy monkey metal and
hollow in design ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

those double ended sockets don't go fully onto some nuts and are useless

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 22:24:32, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
[...]

load of pish as most electric cars don't have a spare either ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

the tyre turns into a pumpkin ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/01/2019 08:37, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
On 20/01/2019 22:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so
it does save space most of the time.

pishwater

Try that again in english, even chrome doesnt translate gobbledegook
yet.

What it means:
a) Jim entirely agrees with everything you wrote, and
b) He is humbled by the depth of your insight plus very grateful to you
for sharing it.

Possibly.

like feck I do .....

I thought you did. Thanks for confirming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
newshound wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so it
does save space most of the time.

Apparently the 911 comes with a big plastic bag, and there is room for
the passenger to sit with the wheel on their lap if the "boot" is full.

Yeah, problem is that someone got killed that way.
https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-411038.html

Not clear why it was in her lap fully inflated so it could burst
tho. And its obviously possible deflate it before cradling it too.

didn't think the Z3 had a spare of any kind thought it had run flat
tyres...anyway how the feck did a flat tyre explode ??/?//

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 20/01/2019 22:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so
it does save space most of the time.

pishwater

Try that again in english, even chrome doesn't translate gobbledegook
yet.

What it means:
a) Jim entirely agrees with everything you wrote, and
b) He is humbled by the depth of your insight plus very grateful to you
for sharing it.

Possibly.

like feck I do .....

I thought you did. Thanks for confirming.

like feck I don't....does that suit you now? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 22:24:32, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
[...]

OK range will be down a bit but the manufacturers can't use the excuse that
tax will be lower with no spare.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the full
size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so it
does save space most of the time.

at least wagga wagga requires there to be a spare wheel unlike other
countries....I suppose that is something .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so
it does save space most of the time.

pishwater

Try that again in english, even chrome doesn’t translate gobbledegook
yet.

totly pishwater ma man ....

Stupid hairy legged cross dressing wog.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2019 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

CHEAPER is correct my 2012 mustang has the Taiwanese manufactured spare kit
and on first use the tyre wrench bent as it was flimsy monkey metal and
hollow in design ...

I bought a torque wrench which lives in the car along with a deep
socket. It's big enough to undo the nuts[1] and lets me do the
occasional check.

[1] Really one shouldn't use a torque wrench as a basic bar, but use is
occasional.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well why is anything called anything. I suspect that they only include the
dodgy thinn wheel to get over legislation in some countries. Just hope you
do not get a puncture with a full boot load of stuff.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the full
size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2019 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

CHEAPER is correct my 2012 mustang has the Taiwanese manufactured spare kit
and on first use the tyre wrench bent as it was flimsy monkey metal and
hollow in design ...

On that subject, what happened to proper jacking points?

A welded socket in the mid point which could

1) Lift up front and back in one go;

2) Was easy to find in the dark;

3) Was unambiguous;

4) Was a damn sight safer than fiddling a wibbly scissor jack under a
weld flange.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can remember many years ago one mod for a well known British made car to
make more room in the boot was to mount the spare wheel on the boot lid
with a covering over it. Of course this also meant modifying the boot hinge
and springs assembly and if it broke you needed to be a muscle man to get
inside the boot to find your wheel brace and jack.....
Them were the days.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/01/2019 21:00, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the full
size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so it
does save space most of the time.

Apparently the 911 comes with a big plastic bag, and there is room for the
passenger to sit with the wheel on their lap if the "boot" is full.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 20/01/2019 21:00, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so it
does save space most of the time.

Apparently the 911 comes with a big plastic bag, and there is room for
the passenger to sit with the wheel on their lap if the "boot" is full.

I'd guess that an old 911? The Boxster comes with a bottle of sealer and a
compressor. Although you can carry a full sized spare if you don't want
any luggage space. ;-)

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've never used a spacesaver. What happens if you exceed the stated
distance?

Is there a distance limit? I'd expect there to be a load/speed limit that
would make you want to get back to normal ASAP.

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
CHEAPER is correct my 2012 mustang has the Taiwanese manufactured spare
kit and on first use the tyre wrench bent as it was flimsy monkey metal
and hollow in design ...

Just what you'd expect with a budget price car. Which the Mustang is in
the US.

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
I bought a torque wrench which lives in the car along with a deep
socket. It's big enough to undo the nuts[1] and lets me do the
occasional check.

[1] Really one shouldn't use a torque wrench as a basic bar, but use is
occasional.

I have a telescopic breaker bar with a 1/2" square drive. Came with a
double ended socket which might fit most cars - but not mine. So got the
appropriate socket for it from Halfords. Obviously if you use it to change
a wheel, you'd check the torque setting ASAP.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

Works fine here and trivial to use a normal socket if your nuts are ****ed
by design.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 22:31, Fredxx wrote:

Quite often the wheel will actually fit, its just cheaper to supply a
space-saver.

I have 17^ wheels on my car and the factory supplied space saver wheel
is 16" with plenty of room in the spare wheel well for a larger tyre!