Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default space saver

On 20/01/2019 23:04, NY wrote:

It's a shame that cars nowadays are provided with a
stupid L-shaped wheel brace instead of a proper double-cranked "starting
handle" type which is much easier for getting off difficult nuts because
you can pull up on the opposite end to the wheel to counteract the
downward pressure of your foot on the cranked bit. L-shaped ones have a
tendency to pull off the nut if you apply a lot of force, because you
can't counteract the twisting force.

I've always found that the telescopic handle ones work well when trying
to undo difficult nuts. The longer handle gives better leverage

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-tel...ce-500mm/13244

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2019 08:44, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

those double ended sockets don't go fully onto some nuts and are useless

The double sided sockets on my telescopic brace are very deep and more
akin to the long spark plug sockets rather than the normal sockets you
tend to get in a socket set. I cannot see a problem with all the wheel
nuts I've had experienced with in 40 years of motoring.

Unlike the short L shaped braces supplied by many car manufactures the
telescopic braces are angle slightly out from the wheel so you don't hit
your knuckles on the tyre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

those double ended sockets don't go fully onto some nuts and are useless

The double sided sockets on my telescopic brace are very deep and more
akin to the long spark plug sockets rather than the normal sockets you
tend to get in a socket set.

Yeah, mine too.

I cannot see a problem with all the wheel nuts I've had experienced with
in 40 years of motoring.

Me too for much longer than that.

Unlike the short L shaped braces supplied by many car manufactures the
telescopic braces are angle slightly out from the wheel so you don't hit
your knuckles on the tyre.

Yep, very handy. Not so fast tho once you have broken
the tight grip, so I also have a normal ratchet brace or one
of those big 2 bar braces with 4 permanent sockets for that.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...rome/2275.html

I also have a different problem with the supplied scissor jack.
Its awkward to do the initial wind up until it starts lifting the
car and have been looking for a better way to drive it. Found
this just recently which allows the ratchet socket handle to
drive it much more conveniently.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Univ...634c4dvJB 0PB

That goes onto the flattened thing with a hole in it at the end of
the threaded rod on the scissor jack.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-...ack-66907.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2019 17:58, Rod Speed wrote:

I also have a different problem with the supplied scissor jack.
Its awkward to do the initial wind up until it starts lifting the
car and have been looking for a better way to drive it. Found
this just recently which allows the ratchet socket handle to
drive it much more conveniently.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Univ...634c4dvJB 0PB

The end of my scissor jack is a hex section nut designed to be wound by
the short L shaped wheel brace supplied with my car.

I've purchased a scaffolders' ratchet bar which fits this hex nut.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scaffold-...AOSwd0BVu18 b

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I can remember many years ago one mod for a well known British made car to
make more room in the boot was to mount the spare wheel on the boot lid
with a covering over it. Of course this also meant modifying the boot hinge
and springs assembly and if it broke you needed to be a muscle man to get
inside the boot to find your wheel brace and jack.....
Them were the days.
Brian

my 1962 ser 2 Sunbeam Alpine with big tail fins had a lovely compartment in
the boot for the spare ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff so
it does save space most of the time.

pishwater

Try that again in english, even chrome doesn’t translate gobbledegook
yet.

totly pishwater ma man ....

Stupid hairy legged cross dressing wog.

I resemble that remark......

what a nice man you are....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 21/01/2019 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

CHEAPER is correct my 2012 mustang has the Taiwanese manufactured spare
kit
and on first use the tyre wrench bent as it was flimsy monkey metal and
hollow in design ...

I bought a torque wrench which lives in the car along with a deep socket.
It's big enough to undo the nuts[1] and lets me do the occasional check.

[1] Really one shouldn't use a torque wrench as a basic bar, but use is
occasional.

yes spot on I got a telescoping bar and flung away the two double ended
sockets that came with it and used a deep socket.........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 21/01/2019 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

CHEAPER is correct my 2012 mustang has the Taiwanese manufactured spare
kit
and on first use the tyre wrench bent as it was flimsy monkey metal and
hollow in design ...

On that subject, what happened to proper jacking points?

A welded socket in the mid point which could

1) Lift up front and back in one go;

2) Was easy to find in the dark;

3) Was unambiguous;

4) Was a damn sight safer than fiddling a wibbly scissor jack under a weld
flange.

I loved my two mercs they had four bug rubber built in jacking points as
well as the sill holes to take the supplies one....quality......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
CHEAPER is correct my 2012 mustang has the Taiwanese manufactured spare
kit and on first use the tyre wrench bent as it was flimsy monkey metal
and hollow in design ...

Just what you'd expect with a budget price car. Which the Mustang is in
the US.

wouldn't argue with that but Taiwanese?.... come on ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 21/01/2019 08:44, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

those double ended sockets don't go fully onto some nuts and are useless

The double sided sockets on my telescopic brace are very deep and more
akin to the long spark plug sockets rather than the normal sockets you
tend to get in a socket set. I cannot see a problem with all the wheel
nuts I've had experienced with in 40 years of motoring.

I do with 50 years experience ...tee hee

Unlike the short L shaped braces supplied by many car manufactures the
telescopic braces are angle slightly out from the wheel so you don't hit
your knuckles on the tyre.

very true...but some are cheap and nasty ... I have a cheap and nasty set
you can have for free..........kept the good one I found with a deep socket
for my deep mustang nuts.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 20/01/2019 22:24:32, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
On 20/01/2019 22:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the
full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?

Because it hardly ever happens when the car is full of other stuff
so it does save space most of the time.

Sod's Law says that the chance of a breakdown of any sort is
proportional to the amount of luggage that is in the boot - and which
must be removed to access the spare wheel. It is also more likely out of
hours when you are in the middle of a long journey - which is why
space-saver wheels are virtually useless because you can't fit the
spare, go to a tyre workshop just round the corner, be served
immediately and be on your way in half an hour; it just doesn't work
like that. Twice I've had to delay a long journey that I was due to make
on a Sunday evening because I had a puncture which I couldn't get
repaired until the following morning, and the tyre was only good for 100
miles max at 50 mph max - not a lot of use when you need to make a 300
mile journey.

My feeling is that car manufacturers should move heaven and earth to
accommodate a full-size steel spare that is fully interchangeable with a
running wheel so you can delay getting the puncture repaired until it is
convenient, rather than it being an attend-to-it-right-now emergency.
Those aerosols of goo are no use to man nor beast because they guarantee
that a puncture can never be repaired, so you always need a new tyre,
when a minor puncture can normally be repaired.

Quite often the wheel will actually fit, its just cheaper to supply a
space-saver.

CHEAPER is correct my 2012 mustang has the Taiwanese manufactured spare
kit and on first use the tyre wrench bent as it was flimsy monkey metal
and hollow in design ...

you couldn't beat the spare and tools that came with my 1966 mustang but
that was in the days when things were made well in the USA......

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/01/2019 19:20, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I can remember many years ago one mod for a well known British made car to
make more room in the boot was to mount the spare wheel on the boot lid
with a covering over it. Of course this also meant modifying the boot hinge
and springs assembly and if it broke you needed to be a muscle man to get
inside the boot to find your wheel brace and jack.....
Them were the days.
Brian

my 1962 ser 2 Sunbeam Alpine with big tail fins had a lovely compartment in
the boot for the spare ....

I really wanted one of those ... Are they still affordable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I can remember many years ago one mod for a well known British made car
make more room in the boot was to mount the spare wheel on the boot lid
with a covering over it. Of course this also meant modifying the boot
hinge
and springs assembly and if it broke you needed to be a muscle man to
get
inside the boot to find your wheel brace and jack.....
Them were the days.
Brian

my 1962 ser 2 Sunbeam Alpine with big tail fins had a lovely compartment
in
the boot for the spare ....

I really wanted one of those ... Are they still affordable?

just about I sold mine for £85 in 1973 .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I can remember many years ago one mod for a well known British made car
make more room in the boot was to mount the spare wheel on the boot
lid
with a covering over it. Of course this also meant modifying the boot
hinge
and springs assembly and if it broke you needed to be a muscle man to
get
inside the boot to find your wheel brace and jack.....
Them were the days.
Brian

my 1962 ser 2 Sunbeam Alpine with big tail fins had a lovely compartment
in
the boot for the spare ....

I really wanted one of those ... Are they still affordable?

just about I sold mine for £85 in 1973 .......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNBEAM-A...9 H:rk:7:pf:0

perhaps not.......I home sprayed mine lime green which was trendy at the
time...it had crossplys on the front and radials on the rear and the spare
was crossply..........just had to hope I didn't get a puncture on the
rear....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 21/01/2019 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

CHEAPER is correct my 2012 mustang has the Taiwanese manufactured spare
kit
and on first use the tyre wrench bent as it was flimsy monkey metal and
hollow in design ...

I bought a torque wrench which lives in the car along with a deep socket.
It's big enough to undo the nuts[1] and lets me do the occasional check.

[1] Really one shouldn't use a torque wrench as a basic bar, but use is
occasional.

yes spot on I got a telescoping bar and flung away the two double ended
sockets that came with it and used a deep socket.........

My two double ended sockets work fine. You just need to buy well made ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 January 2019 20:22:45 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

my 1962 ser 2 Sunbeam Alpine with big tail fins had a lovely compartment
in
the boot for the spare ....

I really wanted one of those ... Are they still affordable?

just about I sold mine for £85 in 1973 .......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNBEAM-A...9 H:rk:7:pf:0

perhaps not.......I home sprayed mine lime green which was trendy at the
time...it had crossplys on the front and radials on the rear and the spare
was crossply..........just had to hope I didn't get a puncture on the
rear....tee hee

reminds me of a Trabant! A nicer version of course.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 07:42:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

yes spot on I got a telescoping bar and flung away the two double ended
sockets that came with it and used a deep socket.........

My two double ended sockets work fine. You just need to buy well made ones.

Put a sock in it, driveling senile Ozzietard!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peeler" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 07:42:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot
Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

yes spot on I got a telescoping bar and flung away the two double ended
sockets that came with it and used a deep socket.........

My two double ended sockets work fine. You just need to buy well made
ones.

Put a sock in it, driveling senile Ozzietard!

I would stuff a bar of pears in his gob ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

my 1962 ser 2 Sunbeam Alpine with big tail fins had a lovely
compartment
in
the boot for the spare ....

I really wanted one of those ... Are they still affordable?

just about I sold mine for £85 in 1973 .......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNBEAM-A...9 H:rk:7:pf:0

perhaps not.......I home sprayed mine lime green which was trendy at the
time...it had crossplys on the front and radials on the rear and the spare
was crossply..........just had to hope I didn't get a puncture on the
rear....tee hee

reminds me of a Trabant! A nicer version of course.

I love tail fins don't see any reason why they shouldn't make a come
back......car makers have tried everything else .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Peeler" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 07:42:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot
Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

yes spot on I got a telescoping bar and flung away the two double ended
sockets that came with it and used a deep socket.........

My two double ended sockets work fine. You just need to buy well made
ones.

Put a sock in it, driveling senile Ozzietard!

I would stuff a bar of pears in his gob ...

The rotty would have you for dinner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Peeler" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 07:42:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot
Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

yes spot on I got a telescoping bar and flung away the two double
ended
sockets that came with it and used a deep socket.........

My two double ended sockets work fine. You just need to buy well made
ones.

Put a sock in it, driveling senile Ozzietard!

I would stuff a bar of pears in his gob ...

The rotty would have you for dinner.

stuff one in its gob as well ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've never used a spacesaver. What happens if you exceed the stated
distance?

Is there a distance limit? I'd expect there to be a load/speed limit that
would make you want to get back to normal ASAP.

IIRC 50mph, 30 miles for mine. No load mentioned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Peeler" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 07:42:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot
Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

yes spot on I got a telescoping bar and flung away the two double
ended
sockets that came with it and used a deep socket.........

My two double ended sockets work fine. You just need to buy well made
ones.

Put a sock in it, driveling senile Ozzietard!

I would stuff a bar of pears in his gob ...

The rotty would have you for dinner.

stuff one in its gob as well ....

Good way to lose a hand trying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 02:02:56 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Put a sock in it, driveling senile Ozzietard!

I would stuff a bar of pears in his gob ...

The rotty would have you for dinner.

stuff one in its gob as well ....

Good way to lose a hand trying.

I doubt you got any teeth at all, other than your dentures, Rot, you
obnoxious toothless senile cretin!

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 22:24, NY wrote:

My feeling is that car manufacturers should move heaven and earth to
accommodate a full-size steel spare that is fully interchangeable with a
running wheel

I'm not the only one with different size wheels front and rear.

Which running wheel should it match?

Given that, and that it has to have a bidirectional tyre, the spacesaver
is as good as is reasonable.

A lot more reasonable than a tin of goop!

Andy