Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smelly Urinals

Local supermarket had very smelly toilets. Noticed they have those
waterless devices in the urinal drains. I also noticed there is no U Bend
Trap under each urinal. How should these work to prevent a back flow of
sewer smells?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2019 14:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
Local supermarket had very smelly toilets. Noticed they have those
waterless devices in the urinal drains. I also noticed there is no U Bend
Trap under each urinal. How should these work to prevent a back flow of
sewer smells?

Waterless device? What's that?

The only waterless toilet I ever used had straw and sawdust in it.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

they have those
waterless devices in the urinal drains. I also noticed there is no U Bend
Trap under each urinal.

The waterless trap is *instead* of a U bend

How should these work to prevent a back flow of sewer smells?

There's a floppy membrane inside them that closes-up whenever there's no
outward flow

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Local supermarket had very smelly toilets. Noticed they have those
waterless devices in the urinal drains. I also noticed there is no U Bend
Trap under each urinal. How should these work to prevent a back flow of
sewer smells?

are they not just an mechanical one way valve ? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Binkie Huckaback ..." wrote in message

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Local supermarket had very smelly toilets. Noticed they have those
waterless devices in the urinal drains. I also noticed there is no U Bend
Trap under each urinal. How should these work to prevent a back flow of
sewer smells?

are they not just an mechanical one way valve ? .....

bit like a **** filled durgo valve ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 14:56:34 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Local supermarket had very smelly toilets. Noticed they have those
waterless devices in the urinal drains. I also noticed there is no U Bend
Trap under each urinal. How should these work to prevent a back flow of
sewer smells?

They have drain devices filled with oil.
The **** sinks through the oil and drains away. The oil provides a permanent seal against sewer gases.

They probably aren't cleaning the place properly, the urinals have to be manually cleaned as there is no water flush.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 16:20:58 UTC, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 14:56:34 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Local supermarket had very smelly toilets. Noticed they have those
waterless devices in the urinal drains. I also noticed there is no U Bend
Trap under each urinal. How should these work to prevent a back flow of
sewer smells?

They have drain devices filled with oil.
The **** sinks through the oil and drains away. The oil provides a permanent seal against sewer gases.

They probably aren't cleaning the place properly, the urinals have to be manually cleaned as there is no water flush.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinal#Waterless_urinals

The Yanks have the best system I saw.
A mini manual flush above each urinal.
Uses about a pint of water.
Makes perfect sense.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 16:20:58 UTC, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 14:56:34 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Local supermarket had very smelly toilets. Noticed they have those
waterless devices in the urinal drains. I also noticed there is no U Bend
Trap under each urinal. How should these work to prevent a back flow of
sewer smells?

They have drain devices filled with oil.
The **** sinks through the oil and drains away. The oil provides a permanent seal against sewer gases.

They probably aren't cleaning the place properly, the urinals have to be manually cleaned as there is no water flush.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinal#Waterless_urinals

The Yanks have the best system I saw.
A mini manual flush above each urinal.
Uses about a pint of water.
Makes perfect sense.

I've seen these in various places in Europe,, too.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

Local supermarket had very smelly toilets. Noticed they have those
waterless devices in the urinal drains. I also noticed there is no U
Bend Trap under each urinal. How should these work to prevent a back
flow of sewer smells?

Before Xmas a couple of guys were Plungering one of the urinals. Today it
was taped off to prevent use. I suspect the Waterless Trap device has been
removed and no attempt has been made to seal off the drain.
Conventional plumbers / handymen probably not understanding the devices.