Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default automatic flushing - men's urinals

The local community hall is infrequently used (and used mostly by women
at that). How can we minimise water usage in the men's?

I came across mention of a system which only fills the urinals' cistern
when some other water is used - possibly the wash-hand basin. Can
anyone point me to a spec and source of this sort of control.
I am aware of the sort which uses a motion detector and only initiates
filling the cistern when someone moves in the loo area. I am hoping the
mechanism which I am hoping someone can recognise from my brief
description might be cheaper and easier to set up.

TIA
Frank Stacey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Stacey wrote:
The local community hall is infrequently used (and used mostly by women
at that). How can we minimise water usage in the men's?

I came across mention of a system which only fills the urinals' cistern
when some other water is used - possibly the wash-hand basin. Can
anyone point me to a spec and source of this sort of control.
I am aware of the sort which uses a motion detector and only initiates
filling the cistern when someone moves in the loo area. I am hoping the
mechanism which I am hoping someone can recognise from my brief
description might be cheaper and easier to set up.

TIA
Frank Stacey

Working in a school, I think the sustem you nedd is a dual system -
activated by motion sensor but also by a long term timer so that the
system is flushed once every few hours even if it is not used. I have
been told that it is not a good idea to leave the system not flushed for
days at a time

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Stacey wrote:
The local community hall is infrequently used (and used mostly by
women at that). How can we minimise water usage in the men's?

I came across mention of a system which only fills the urinals'
cistern when some other water is used - possibly the wash-hand basin.
Can anyone point me to a spec and source of this sort of control.
I am aware of the sort which uses a motion detector and only initiates
filling the cistern when someone moves in the loo area. I am hoping
the mechanism which I am hoping someone can recognise from my brief
description might be cheaper and easier to set up.

TIA
Frank Stacey

Well only making the gents urinal flush when the wash hand basin is used
certainly will save you some water! It is probably the ultimate water saving
feature.

However the system you are thinking about is called Cystermiser. I believe
that it operates on pressure. You will have to Google for it as have only
ever fitted the PIR systems that you refered to.

Cheers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Frank Stacey wrote:
[...]

the cisternmiser lets a small amount of water, adjustable, into the cistern
when there is a drop in water pressure
ie when a tap is opened, and slowly fills up the cistern until it flushes.
Easy to fit also.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Stacey wrote:
[...]

Easy to fit also.- Hide quoted text -

Easy to fit, but doesn't work very well IMHO. It also assumes that men
will wash their hands; not necessarily true. The PIR systems are
better but as stated by an other, you need a system that can flush
once a day, say, if not used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

".....uses a motion detector...."

What does that use - a microphone to detect the splash, etc ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Stacey wrote:
[...]

flushes. Easy to fit also.- Hide quoted text -

Easy to fit, but doesn't work very well IMHO. It also assumes that men
will wash their hands; not necessarily true. The PIR systems are
better but as stated by an other, you need a system that can flush
once a day, say, if not used.

Some of the cistermisers have that capability.

http://www.gentworks.co.uk/skin1/ima...ves_choice.pdf

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Stacey" wrote in message
The local community hall is infrequently used (and used mostly by women at
that). How can we minimise water usage in the men's?

I came across mention of a system which only fills the urinals' cistern
when some other water is used - possibly the wash-hand basin. Can anyone
point me to a spec and source of this sort of control.
I am aware of the sort which uses a motion detector and only initiates
filling the cistern when someone moves in the loo area. I am hoping the
mechanism which I am hoping someone can recognise from my brief
description might be cheaper and easier to set up.

TIA
Frank Stacey

I fitted one of these http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod87
in the local guide hall in 2008. Needless to say the gents urinals were
under used but were flushing twice an hour 24 x 7!! The water saving was
consideable and I was looking at full payback in about 12 months (except
they got a grant and refitted all the toilets and no urinals about 9 months
later). Battery operated and flushes once a day even if unoccupied. About
an hour to fit IIRC.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message

[...]

Should have been http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod2109 -
cheaper!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Oct, 15:17, Frank Stacey wrote:
The local community hall is infrequently used (and used mostly by women
at that). How can we minimise water usage in the men's?

I came across mention of a system which only fills the urinals' cistern
when some other water is used - possibly the wash-hand basin. *Can
anyone point me to a spec and source of this sort of control.
I am aware of the sort which uses a motion detector and only initiates
filling the cistern when someone moves in the loo area. *I am hoping the
mechanism which I am hoping someone can recognise from my brief
description might be cheaper and easier to set up.

TIA
Frank Stacey

I saw the final solution to this problem in America. They had small
manually operated flush tanks over each urinal. Push button operated.
But I've often thought that there's no reason not to install a WC
flushing tank, there are some very small one's these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

But it would only work if the inlet supply was slow and that blokes didn't
vandalise it if it wasn't able to flush because it wasn't full. If busy they
probably need flushing once per hour.

What about the waterless devices that are around?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
I saw the final solution to this problem in America. They had small
manually operated flush tanks over each urinal. Push button operated.

Many (most?) urinals in the US have a manual flush valve, usually mains
rather than a tank. That would obviously solve the OP's problem; the
trouble is that in this country we're not used to manually flushing
urinals and so many people wouldn't think to press it.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank Stacey writes:
The local community hall is infrequently used (and used mostly by women
at that). How can we minimise water usage in the men's?

I came across mention of a system which only fills the urinals' cistern
when some other water is used - possibly the wash-hand basin. Can
anyone point me to a spec and source of this sort of control.
I am aware of the sort which uses a motion detector and only initiates
filling the cistern when someone moves in the loo area. I am hoping the
mechanism which I am hoping someone can recognise from my brief
description might be cheaper and easier to set up.

Aston Matthews used to have a unrinal in their show room which had
a washhand basin in the top. It was flushed by the basin waste.
Quite clever I thought, but I've never seen one fitted anywhere.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Oct, 15:17, Frank Stacey wrote:
The local community hall is infrequently used (and used mostly by women
at that). How can we minimise water usage in the men's?

I came across mention of a system which only fills the urinals' cistern
when some other water is used - possibly the wash-hand basin. *Can
anyone point me to a spec and source of this sort of control.
I am aware of the sort which uses a motion detector and only initiates
filling the cistern when someone moves in the loo area. *I am hoping the
mechanism which I am hoping someone can recognise from my brief
description might be cheaper and easier to set up.

TIA
Frank Stacey

A simple solenoid and programmable 7 day 1 channel c h timer to shut
off the water supply into the flush tank during un-occupied periods
would be my favourite. Also adjust the fill rate valve to reduce the
frequency of flushes. Do however watch out for being too parsimonious
as an underflushed urinal builds up urea crystals in the trap and
outflow pipe and is a stinking job to clear out. Push-fit joints can
be your friend in this eventuality.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 08:38:29 -0700 (PDT), Onetap
wrote:

It also assumes that men
will wash their hands; not necessarily true.

A few years ago a local authority architect told me about a new police
station that they'd been called back to, to investigate the stinking
gents. Architect walks in, turns tap and urinals flush as expected but
it turned out that the users did not wash their hands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 10:27:28 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

I saw the final solution to this problem in America. They had small
manually operated flush tanks over each urinal. Push button operated.

Another possibly American solution (as I've only seen them in CostCo
stores) is a PIR in each urinal. Flushes while you pee or do they
flush when you move away. Anyway you get the idea.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Stacey" wrote in message
The local community hall is infrequently used (and used mostly by women at
that). How can we minimise water usage in the men's?

I came across mention of a system which only fills the urinals' cistern
when some other water is used - possibly the wash-hand basin. Can anyone
point me to a spec and source of this sort of control.
I am aware of the sort which uses a motion detector and only initiates
filling the cistern when someone moves in the loo area. I am hoping the
mechanism which I am hoping someone can recognise from my brief
description might be cheaper and easier to set up.

TIA
Frank Stacey

Replace the flushing mechanism with manually operated Prestex Push valves
and request that users push after going. This is the usual arrangement in
the States and the continent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Stacey wrote:
The local community hall is infrequently used (and used mostly by women
at that). How can we minimise water usage in the men's?

I came across mention of a system which only fills the urinals' cistern
when some other water is used - possibly the wash-hand basin. Can
anyone point me to a spec and source of this sort of control.
I am aware of the sort which uses a motion detector and only initiates
filling the cistern when someone moves in the loo area. I am hoping the
mechanism which I am hoping someone can recognise from my brief
description might be cheaper and easier to set up.

TIA
Frank Stacey

I noticed this afternoon that our local community centre has a urinal
control system by these people:

http://www.dartvalley.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Oct, 01:59, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember Peter Johnson
saying something like:

A few years ago a local authority architect told me about a new police
station that they'd been called back to, to investigate the stinking
gents. Architect walks in, turns tap and urinals flush as expected but
it turned out that the users did not wash their hands.

Dirty pigs.

Perhaps Hendon taught them to **** in the urinal and not on thier
hands.