Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smelly urinals

Just (2 months ago) started a new job and the Gents is very smelly.

Long story short, they swapped out the urinals for waterless urinals (were they a fad??). And then swapped back, but didnt install the new water ones properly (I suspect they didnt install a trap(s).

You couldnt make it up!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

wrote in message
Just (2 months ago) started a new job and the Gents is very smelly.

Long story short, they swapped out the urinals for waterless urinals (were
they a fad??). And then swapped back, but didnt install the new water
ones properly (I suspect they didnt install a trap(s).

You couldnt make it up!

I'd have thought that traps were needed irrespective of whether they use
water to flush them. There needs to be something to prevent the sewer gases
venting out of the drain hole.

My experience with waterless urinals is that they smell more of stale urine
that ordinary ones because it dries on the surface and doesn't get rinsed
off with water every so often.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2018 09:08, NY wrote:
wrote in message
Just (2 months ago) started a new job and the Gents is very smelly.

Long story short, they swapped out the urinals for waterless urinals
(were they a fad??). And then swapped back, but didnt install the new
water ones properly (I suspect they didnt install a trap(s).

You couldnt make it up!

I'd have thought that traps were needed irrespective of whether they use
water to flush them. There needs to be something to prevent the sewer
gases venting out of the drain hole.

My experience with waterless urinals is that they smell more of stale
urine that ordinary ones because it dries on the surface and doesn't get
rinsed off with water every so often.

The problem with many high usage "public" toilets is a build up of uric
salt crystals from urine which can cause the smell. In a pub I use the
problem caused by this type of blocking mechanism was well down-line
from the traps attached to the urinals. The smell/blockage problem now
solved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 August 2018 03:47:42 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 16/08/2018 09:08, NY wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

what removes them?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2018 09:08, NY wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Nothing needs to when there is no build up of uric salt crystals from urine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 August 2018 10:01:35 UTC+1, wrote:
what removes them?

an illegal immigrant on 50p an hour.

Owain