Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Great big heavy router

My good friend went blind, so he gave me some of his tools. One thing he
gave me was a router. He said, "I've never been able to use it: it's too
big and heavy."
"What did you buy it for then?"
"I didn't. I was given it. My uncle had it but he couldn't use it
because it was so big and heavy so he gave it to me."
"OK. Well, cheers."
I can use it, but it's very awkward and cumbersome. Do you think I could
convert it to one of those routers that are under the bench, upside
down? If I could that would be very useful.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 29 December 2018 04:06:46 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
My good friend went blind, so he gave me some of his tools. One thing he
gave me was a router. He said, "I've never been able to use it: it's too
big and heavy."
"What did you buy it for then?"
"I didn't. I was given it. My uncle had it but he couldn't use it
because it was so big and heavy so he gave it to me."
"OK. Well, cheers."
I can use it, but it's very awkward and cumbersome. Do you think I could
convert it to one of those routers that are under the bench, upside
down? If I could that would be very useful.

Bill

A bench is available to convert some routers exactly to this purpose,
DIY one here.
https://www.woodmagazine.com/magazin...d-router-table
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2018 04:06, Bill Wright wrote:
My good friend went blind, so he gave me some of his tools. One thing he
gave me was a router. He said, "I've never been able to use it: it's too
big and heavy."
"What did you buy it for then?"
"I didn't. I was given it. My uncle had it but he couldn't use it
because it was so big and heavy so he gave it to me."
"OK. Well, cheers."
I can use it, but it's very awkward and cumbersome. Do you think I could
convert it to one of those routers that are under the bench, upside
down? If I could that would be very useful.

Bill

Several different approaches he

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2018 04:06, Bill Wright wrote:
My good friend went blind, so he gave me some of his tools. One thing he
gave me was a router. He said, "I've never been able to use it: it's too
big and heavy."
"What did you buy it for then?"
"I didn't. I was given it. My uncle had it but he couldn't use it
because it was so big and heavy so he gave it to me."
"OK. Well, cheers."
I can use it, but it's very awkward and cumbersome. Do you think I could
convert it to one of those routers that are under the bench, upside
down? If I could that would be very useful.

Absolutely.

Its not even very expensive to buy a table for them.

Bill

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 29 December 2018 04:06:46 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
My good friend went blind, so he gave me some of his tools. One thing he
gave me was a router. He said, "I've never been able to use it: it's too
big and heavy."
"What did you buy it for then?"
"I didn't. I was given it. My uncle had it but he couldn't use it
because it was so big and heavy so he gave it to me."
"OK. Well, cheers."
I can use it, but it's very awkward and cumbersome. Do you think I could
convert it to one of those routers that are under the bench, upside
down? If I could that would be very useful.

Bill

afaik every router can be screwed to a tabletop

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2018 04:06, Bill Wright wrote:
My good friend went blind, so he gave me some of his tools. One thing he
gave me was a router. He said, "I've never been able to use it: it's too
big and heavy."
"What did you buy it for then?"
"I didn't. I was given it. My uncle had it but he couldn't use it
because it was so big and heavy so he gave it to me."
"OK. Well, cheers."
I can use it, but it's very awkward and cumbersome. Do you think I could
convert it to one of those routers that are under the bench, upside
down? If I could that would be very useful.

Bill

Thanks for all responses, but I'm puzzled. How do you adjust the depth
when the machine is under the bench?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2018-12-29 5:48 a.m., Bill Wright wrote:
On 29/12/2018 04:06, Bill Wright wrote:
My good friend went blind, so he gave me some of his tools. One thing
he gave me was a router. He said, "I've never been able to use it:
it's too big and heavy."
"What did you buy it for then?"
"I didn't. I was given it. My uncle had it but he couldn't use it
because it was so big and heavy so he gave it to me."
"OK. Well, cheers."
I can use it, but it's very awkward and cumbersome. Do you think I
could convert it to one of those routers that are under the bench,
upside down? If I could that would be very useful.

Bill

Thanks for all responses, but I'm puzzled. How do you adjust the depth
when the machine is under the bench?

Bill

picture a slot like hole in the bench
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

I'm puzzled. How do you adjust the depth
when the machine is under the bench?

As well as the plunge mechanism, some routers have a threaded hole in
the body, so a long screw can be fed through the bench into the tool,
then you can adjust the height with e.g. an allen wrench from above
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2018 04:06, Bill Wright wrote:
My good friend went blind, so he gave me some of his tools. One thing he
gave me was a router. He said, "I've never been able to use it: it's too
big and heavy."
"What did you buy it for then?"
"I didn't. I was given it. My uncle had it but he couldn't use it
because it was so big and heavy so he gave it to me."
"OK. Well, cheers."

I can use it, but it's very awkward and cumbersome. Do you think I could
convert it to one of those routers that are under the bench, upside
down? If I could that would be very useful.

Yup, certainly... often the best place for a large router, although it
ideally needs a decent variable speed range to get the most form it,
since it will come into its own with larger cutters, and you can't run
them as fast as the small ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2018 12:48, Bill Wright wrote:
On 29/12/2018 04:06, Bill Wright wrote:
My good friend went blind, so he gave me some of his tools. One thing
he gave me was a router. He said, "I've never been able to use it:
it's too big and heavy."
"What did you buy it for then?"
"I didn't. I was given it. My uncle had it but he couldn't use it
because it was so big and heavy so he gave it to me."
"OK. Well, cheers."
I can use it, but it's very awkward and cumbersome. Do you think I
could convert it to one of those routers that are under the bench,
upside down? If I could that would be very useful.

Bill

Thanks for all responses, but I'm puzzled. How do you adjust the depth
when the machine is under the bench?

Its depends a bit on the router and also how much you want to spend...

The original Elu style machines, can take a "fine height adjuster". This
is an add on shaft that replaces the normal depth stop bar. It threads
onto one of the turret depth stop presets, and allows the router to be
adjusted with the knob on the height adjuster.

Others, like the Triton 1/2" and the Freud FT2000E have built in fine
adjusters, that are good for table use.

The posher solutions are to go for a full router "lift". These allow the
router to be wound up and down easily from above (or sometimes beside)
the table:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-tech...levator-502701

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2018 12:48, Bill Wright wrote:
On 29/12/2018 04:06, Bill Wright wrote:
My good friend went blind, so he gave me some of his tools. One thing
he gave me was a router. He said, "I've never been able to use it:
it's too big and heavy."
"What did you buy it for then?"
"I didn't. I was given it. My uncle had it but he couldn't use it
because it was so big and heavy so he gave it to me."
"OK. Well, cheers."
I can use it, but it's very awkward and cumbersome. Do you think I
could convert it to one of those routers that are under the bench,
upside down? If I could that would be very useful.

Bill

Thanks for all responses, but I'm puzzled. How do you adjust the depth
when the machine is under the bench?

Bill

I've been tempted by these https://woodrat.com/plungebar/ but haven't
yet taken the, errrr, plunge