Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maximum Fines - Dumping?

Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social dumping
of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In some
locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

No, because the fine can be less than
£5000 with say an empty beer can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2018 22:36, Tim J wrote:

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to
lamp posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

No, because the fine can be less than
£5000 with say an empty beer can.

And there's a problem, and I have a solution.

Lets have dual fines system.

For a dropped tin can, Maximum fine £5000. Let's call that
'manslaughter' as it can be done quite accidentally, or by idiots.

For a dumped sofa, Minimum fine £5000. Done with intent.
Call it 'murder' (of the environment).

I'm in town all week, try the fish.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 December 2018 22:26:54 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

Souds like an invitation to anyone with a very large amount to get rid of. The trouble with this society today is that crime pays.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 15:23:40 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 17 December 2018 22:26:54 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

Souds like an invitation to anyone with a very large amount to get rid
of. The trouble with this society today is that crime pays.

In the small print...

"per item"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who knows, but the organised crime bosses will take no notice with their
forged documents they give to people to allow them to trade with unwitting
commercial companies, knowing full well that they will never be caught and
the fine will end up being paid by the unsuspecting punter who used them.
I'm sure yu heard the Radio 4 documentary about how lucrative commercial
waste fly tipping now.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social dumping
of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In some
locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine 5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine 5000'?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Round here every time they put up a no tipping sign it just seems to generate more fly tipping. Seems the no tipping signs simply point out to the fly tippers the best tipping places and the stupid council blusters about the problem but will not put up CCTV to catch the criminals.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 10:18:46 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Round here every time they put up a no tipping sign it just seems to generate more fly tipping. Seems the no tipping signs simply point out to the fly tippers the best tipping places and the stupid council blusters about the problem but will not put up CCTV to catch the criminals.

Richard

I expect the crims see the signs as an admission of failure and a chance to stick a finger up to the authorities.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine 5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine 5000'?

You can 'impose' any penalty you want for anything. It will only act as a
deterrent if there is a very real chance of getting caught. Which would
mean serious amounts of money being spent enforcing that law. Not
something we generally do in this country for such things. The more
obvious one being illegal drugs.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2018 10:18, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Round here every time they put up a no tipping sign it just seems to generate more fly tipping. Seems the no tipping signs simply point out to the fly tippers the best tipping places and the stupid council blusters about the problem but will not put up CCTV to catch the criminals.

Richard

It cost me 25 quid plus 7 quid diesel to hire a van and take a skipload
(=£400) to the council dump yesterday

OK it took an hour to unload it at the far end, but thats the only other
cost involved

--
People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz writes:
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

This is intended to make it less attractive to use an unlicensed
waste disposal company, who just go and dump the waste in a quiet
road somewhere.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2018 13:01, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz writes:
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

Is there any chance you can set your newsreader to obey the original
character encoding set or use UTF8 like everyone else?

just doesnt cut it these days

As you can see it barfs on UTF 8 '£'

--
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

Leo Tolstoy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/12/2018 10:18, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Round here every time they put up a no tipping sign it just seems to
generate more fly tipping. Seems the no tipping signs simply point out
to the fly tippers the best tipping places and the stupid council
blusters about the problem but will not put up CCTV to catch the
criminals.

Richard

It cost me 25 quid plus 7 quid diesel to hire a van and take a skipload
(=400) to the council dump yesterday

OK it took an hour to unload it at the far end, but thats the only other
cost involved

How much did the Council charge you?
-

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 13:01:15 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz writes:
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Hasn't that always been the case, as they can find who's waste it is if yuo put yuor postcode in UV pen we were all told to do so the police could ID things if nicked.,

This is intended to make it less attractive to use an unlicensed
waste disposal company, who just go and dump the waste in a quiet
road somewhere.

I'm sure this was the case years ago, it's been on those consumer programmes since Esther Rantzen first mentioned it.

But how do you tell a licensed from unlicensed was the problem, similar to the recent gas safe farce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Good luck finding out who that mattress belonged to. DNA testing?

--
*Constipated People Don't Give A Crap*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2018 13:28, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/12/2018 10:18, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Round here every time they put up a no tipping sign it just seems to
generate more fly tipping. Seems the no tipping signs simply point out
to the fly tippers the best tipping places and the stupid council
blusters about the problem but will not put up CCTV to catch the
criminals.

Richard

It cost me 25 quid plus 7 quid diesel to hire a van and take a skipload
(=£400) to the council dump yesterday

OK it took an hour to unload it at the far end, but thats the only other
cost involved

How much did the Council charge you?

Nothing.

They even helped unlaoad some of it.

It was houysehgild rubbish, not (mucvh) bulding rubbish

Old duvets, bits of MDF and chip, scrap metal - steel aluminium and
copper - a TV two PC chassis a dishwasher, plastiocs and general crap
too big to fit in a bin. Soem hardened cement and a tub of 18 year old
butyl glazing putty.

There might have been a small bit of plasterboard wrapped up in an old
duvet :-)

-

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 05:45:28 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Hasn't that always been the case, as they can find who's waste it is if
yuo put yuor postcode in UV pen we were all told to do so the police
could ID things if nicked.,

Any waste that leaves this house, even in the council bin, had
identifying stuff removed just in case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 13:50:38 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Good luck finding out who that mattress belonged to. DNA testing?

But would they really just dump a matress, I doubt I'd get in a dumper just for one item. Most people who want to get rid of crap have mmutiple items.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/12/2018 13:28, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/12/2018 10:18, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Round here every time they put up a no tipping sign it just seems to
generate more fly tipping. Seems the no tipping signs simply point out
to the fly tippers the best tipping places and the stupid council
blusters about the problem but will not put up CCTV to catch the
criminals.

Richard

It cost me 25 quid plus 7 quid diesel to hire a van and take a skipload
(=400) to the council dump yesterday

OK it took an hour to unload it at the far end, but thats the only
other cost involved

How much did the Council charge you?

Nothing.

here, in Surrey, anyhing in a commercial vehicle has to be weighted and
charged for. That's why we get so much flytipping.

-

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Good luck finding out who that mattress belonged to. DNA testing?

But would they really just dump a matress,

Lots seem to. Council here charges 18 quid to collect it. Of course you
can always buy from a high price seller who takes the old one away.

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
How much did the Council charge you?

Nothing.

here, in Surrey, anyhing in a commercial vehicle has to be weighted and
charged for. That's why we get so much flytipping.

Same here - although you can make an arrangement with the council for a
one off feebie using a hired or whatever van.

--
*I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 14:59:14 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 05:45:28 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Hasn't that always been the case, as they can find who's waste it is if
yuo put yuor postcode in UV pen we were all told to do so the police
could ID things if nicked.,

Any waste that leaves this house, even in the council bin, had
identifying stuff removed just in case.

That's one way around it, and if you want fly tipping to continue...
Last time 9 years ago I had someone around I said oh my stuff is UV marked so it can be traced back to me, which I wouldn't have cared as I'd used my webcam to record the collection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 12:30:23 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/12/2018 10:18, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Round here every time they put up a no tipping sign it just seems to generate more fly tipping. Seems the no tipping signs simply point out to the fly tippers the best tipping places and the stupid council blusters about the problem but will not put up CCTV to catch the criminals.

Richard

It cost me 25 quid plus 7 quid diesel to hire a van and take a skipload
(=£400) to the council dump yesterday

OK it took an hour to unload it at the far end, but thats the only other
cost involved

The best way is to take it in your car in dribs and drabs on shopping trips..
ie, don't let it build up.
Zero cost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 22:44:09 +0000, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

snip
No, because the fine can be less than
5000 with say an empty beer can.

And there's a problem, and I have a solution.

Lets have dual fines system.

For a dropped tin can, Maximum fine 5000. Let's call that
'manslaughter' as it can be done quite accidentally,

Like with some rubbish (say tissue) you have taken the trouble to put
in your pocket to take home and it accidentally comes out unnoticed
when you pull out your car keys? Or the 5/10 notes that ping out your
pocket when pulling out some receipts (money is hardly something you
would be 'throwing away').

or by idiots.

I'm not sure there is anyone that stupid.

For a dumped sofa, Minimum fine 5000. Done with intent.
Call it 'murder' (of the environment).

Agreed and a minimum number of compulsory community service hours
clearing up fly tips / rubbish (no option to buy your way out of it).

We went to a container based storage place yesterday and they have a
points system for various misdemeanour. Not getting out (the gates) by
the allotted time, one point. Being discourteous to any other
customers or staff, one point. Spitting, two point. 7 points and you
are out. Trying to befriend the guard dog outside hours comes with its
own penalty. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 16:10:00 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Good luck finding out who that mattress belonged to. DNA testing?

But would they really just dump a matress,

Lots seem to. Council here charges 18 quid to collect it.

Not sure what ours does, but being near a brook and on a quite corner mattresses often get dumped well Of 3 or 4 a year, but someone comes and takes them away one of those high sided van things.
I passed such a van a few weeks ago at about 2am as I passed two foses jumped out and scampered off, gave me quite a shock.

Here's a picture that was dumped less that 200 metres from my place.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/1280721126/

I see people dumping things along the road from time to time late and night , as there's lots of flats and people coming and going I ignore it.
The last was a couple that were dressed from the 50s with a scarf headress thing or they could have been romanian going by their accent.
The indians/asians that refurbed the flat below me dumped some stuff out the front it was there for nearly 4 weeks, old brown furniture mostly with broken doors, and then one day it all disapeared.

I think the council come alone from time to time and just collect stuff I see the van thing with it amber lights drive past a coupe of times a week.

course you
can always buy from a high price seller who takes the old one away.

Yes and I believe that is better for the enviorment and that is what I;d probbley do as I need a new fridge and freezer next year, I'll buy from a place that will take my old ones back.
I'm not going to take mine to the brook and dump them there like you probbaly would.

AO.com charge about £20, I'd pay that but I;d check local shops and argos too.
I'll check to see what the coincil charge too, but it can take them a week or more and I'd prefer it out of the way they day I dispose of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Good luck finding out who that mattress belonged to. DNA testing?

But would they really just dump a matress,

Lots seem to. Council here charges 18 quid to collect it. Of course you
can always buy from a high price seller who takes the old one away.

JL will take away, but make a charge.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2018-12-18 8:21 a.m., charles wrote:
In article ,
[...]

but you take the back way and dodge the scales
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz writes:
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Hasn't that always been the case,

Not with who gets charged when they find it.

as they can find who's waste it is if yuo put yuor postcode in UV
pen we were all told to do so the police could ID things if nicked.,

Not too many do that with the concrete in the garden etc.

This is intended to make it less attractive to use an
unlicensed waste disposal company, who just go
and dump the waste in a quiet road somewhere.

I'm sure this was the case years ago, it's been on those consumer
programmes since Esther Rantzen first mentioned it.

But no one has reported in here that they have been
fined for what the operation doing the renovations
did with the stuff in their skip that got dumped.

But how do you tell a licensed from unlicensed was
the problem, similar to the recent gas safe farce.

The licensed ones have a barcode tattoo on their forehead, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
% wrote:
On 2018-12-18 8:21 a.m., charles wrote:
In article ,
[...]

They've built the sites very carefully. No back way in.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 19:02:45 +0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 13:50:38 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held
responsible if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it
wasn't them who dumped it.

Good luck finding out who that mattress belonged to. DNA testing?

But would they really just dump a matress,

Lots seem to. Council here charges 18 quid to collect it. Of course you
can always buy from a high price seller who takes the old one away.

JL will take away, but make a charge.

Last few mattresses I took down the tip in the back of the car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Good luck finding out who that mattress belonged to. DNA testing?

But would they really just dump a matress,

Lots seem to. Council here charges 18 quid to collect it. Of course you
can always buy from a high price seller who takes the old one away.

My council charges around £5.50 per item (single or double mattress).

However around my way what seems to be happening more and more is that
overnight a mattress, 3 piece suite, wardrobe etc. will appear dumped on
the pavement on a main road, often blocking the pavement. No longer do
the fly tippers need to use a secluded spot. The council usually remove
such items quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
JL will take away, but make a charge.

My experience with Curry's, who would have charged more than the council
to remove the old washing machine, was that the men delivering the new
machine offered to take the old one away for a fiver.

So we didn't bother the council.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
[...]

Hampshire have a fairly sensible policy for those that have a vehicle that
could fall under commercial vehicle rules rather than a strict All Vans
must be carrying commercial attitude.
So someone like an electrician who has private use of a vehicle and wishes
to use it to carry their own domestic waste can apply for a permit for 12
visits a year . Staff can spot check what is unloaded is domestic waste and
not work waste being sneaked through, abusers of the system lose the permit
..

The policy on hired vans is quite sensible as well . If you have hired a
van to take a load of domestic rubbish say after a large house and garden
tidy up they will allow the van in if the hire documents show it is for
less than 3 days hire. Some items like plaster board are chargeable but
that applies whatever vehicle is used.

https://www.hants.gov.uk/wasteandrec...s/wastepermits

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz writes:
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Hasn't that always been the case,

Not with who gets charged when they find it.

I wass told that 10 or more years ago it was on TV with that annoying bald bloke (not greg wallace)

as they can find who's waste it is if yuo put yuor postcode in UV
pen we were all told to do so the police could ID things if nicked.,

Not too many do that with the concrete in the garden etc.

Not too many just get concrete taken away. Most of teh fly tipping is household.

This is intended to make it less attractive to use an
unlicensed waste disposal company, who just go
and dump the waste in a quiet road somewhere.

I'm sure this was the case years ago, it's been on those consumer
programmes since Esther Rantzen first mentioned it.

But no one has reported in here that they have been
fined for what the operation doing the renovations
did with the stuff in their skip that got dumped.

WTF are you waffling about.

But how do you tell a licensed from unlicensed was
the problem, similar to the recent gas safe farce.

The licensed ones have a barcode tattoo on their forehead, stupid.

Is that's why you are so concerned with pigs arses

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz writes:
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to
lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Hasn't that always been the case,

Not with who gets charged when they find it.

I wass told that 10 or more years ago it was on TV
with that annoying bald bloke (not greg wallace)

Just because some fool on TV claims something...

Clearly if someone collects parcels that have been
tossed over the fence or left in the rubbish bin,
takes them away, opens them and discards the
container in some quiet place where he is
unlikely to be noticed doing that, and the
council finds the discarded containers there,
the person whose name is on the discarded
containers can't be fined for having his
parcels stolen.

as they can find who's waste it is if yuo put yuor postcode in UV
pen we were all told to do so the police could ID things if nicked.,

Not too many do that with the concrete in the garden etc.

Not too many just get concrete taken away.
Most of teh fly tipping is household.

And few actually bother to put their postcode in UV
pen on all their mattresses, sheets, blankets, underware,
jeans, T shirts, plates cutlery, glasses etc etc etc.

This is intended to make it less attractive to use an
unlicensed waste disposal company, who just go
and dump the waste in a quiet road somewhere.

I'm sure this was the case years ago, it's been on those consumer
programmes since Esther Rantzen first mentioned it.

But no one has reported in here that they have been
fined for what the operation doing the renovations
did with the stuff in their skip that got dumped.

But how do you tell a licensed from unlicensed was
the problem, similar to the recent gas safe farce.

The licensed ones have a barcode tattoo on their forehead, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

.

The policy on hired vans is quite sensible as well . If you have hired a
van to take a load of domestic rubbish say after a large house and garden
tidy up they will allow the van in if the hire documents show it is for
less than 3 days hire. Some items like plaster board are chargeable but
that applies whatever vehicle is used.

Ours has a similar plan that also includes the use of trailers.

Before that came in BIL turned up with his old fence on his small
truck and they trued to send him away as it was 'commercial'. He
explained that the waste was from his own house and he didn't see the
point of trying to get it on / in his car when he could use his truck.
He offered for them to come and visit his house and explained that in
spite of him being a local builder for 50+ years, had never used that
site for commercial waste.

They were adamant that he wasn't going to use their facilities so he
gave them an ultimatum. He said he could either put the stuff in the
proper skip *or*, just give them his name and number (for the Council
/ Police etc) and tip the load where the truck stood, for them to
clear up.

They let him put the stuff in the right skip. ;-)

I can see the logic of restricting 'commercial waste' but there are
limits. He could just as easily tipped the load down a county lane.

Now with the permit system, it's a lot easier.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On 19 Dec 2018 11:16:57 GMT, Marland
wrote:

snip

Hampshire have a fairly sensible policy for those that have a vehicle that
could fall under commercial vehicle rules rather than a strict “ All Vans
must be carrying commercial” attitude.

Ours has a similar plan that also includes the use of trailers.

As does the Hampshire one but I was trying to be brief .
There is a size mentioned on the link I gave where the rule kicks in so a
householder who is using one of those smallish un braked ones that many
people have for garden cuttings etc do not need the permit.
One site wont take the larger trailers even with a permit due to lack of
manoeuvring room.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz writes:
Harrow council have been putting up signs discouraging anti-social
dumping of rubbish at various grot spots through out the borough. In
some locations they have now been fitting slightly hi-tech CCTV to
lamp
posts.

The signs say 'Maximum fine £5000'.

Shouldn't that be 'Minimum fine £5000'?

There are some new waste disposal laws coming in around now.
I haven't seen the detail, but households will be held responsible
if their waste is found dumped somewhere, even if it wasn't them
who dumped it.

Hasn't that always been the case,

Not with who gets charged when they find it.

I wass told that 10 or more years ago it was on TV
with that annoying bald bloke (not greg wallace)

Just because some fool on TV claims something...

Some fools on TV claim it's against the law to kill people.
It's the fools that don't listen is where the problem is.

Why should I be fined if someone dumps their TV in front of my gate ?
Or even worse just inside my gate ?

Clearly if someone collects parcels that have been
tossed over the fence or left in the rubbish bin,
takes them away, opens them and discards the
container in some quiet place where he is
unlikely to be noticed doing that, and the
council finds the discarded containers there,
the person whose name is on the discarded
containers can't be fined for having his
parcels stolen.

No, but can he be fined because a 15 year old TV with his postcode and any ID the police told him to put on it be fined ?

Not too many just get concrete taken away.
Most of teh fly tipping is household.

And few actually bother to put their postcode in UV
pen on all their mattresses, sheets, blankets, underware,
jeans, T shirts, plates cutlery, glasses etc etc etc.

Few do but some include bags with circulars with their address on it.
That is how they catch some.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Marland wrote:
One site wont take the larger trailers even with a permit due to lack of
manoeuvring room.

My local (newish) facility has a very narrow tight turn on the driveway.
You'd never get round that with a big trailer.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?