Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default line phones with bluetooth.

Any recommendations as to phone and source please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

I have a Gigaset deskphone with bluetooth, I don't know if you can pair
it with a bluetooth headset, but I have paired it with a smartphone.

When the smartphone rings you can answer the call on the deskphone or
any of the DECT handsets, unfortunately every time I've used that
feature people complain at the call quality, though call quality over
bluetooth to the car handfree is fine.

I guess I'm saying try before you buy ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote

Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with
free unlimited calls and texts and MMS to any landline or
mobile in the country for something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 09:24, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote
Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free unlimited
calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the country for
something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.

That is true Rod, but you still need a landline for the internet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 09:12, Broadback wrote:

Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

What are you trying to achieve? (i.e. use a bluetooth headset on a line
phone, or integrate a mobile into the mix?)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 10:57, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/12/2018 09:12, Broadback wrote:

Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

What are you trying to achieve? (i.e. use a bluetooth headset on a line
phone, or integrate a mobile into the mix?)

I am purchasing a hearing aid that will connect by Bluetooth to a
telephone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 09:58, Broadback wrote:
On 14/12/2018 09:24, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote
Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free
unlimited calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the
country for something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.

That is true Rod, but you still need a landline for the internet.

Not *strictly* true.

Satellite/3G/4G all *work*. Just not very well and rather expensively.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 11:04, Broadback wrote:
On 14/12/2018 10:57, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/12/2018 09:12, Broadback wrote:

Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

What are you trying to achieve? (i.e. use a bluetooth headset on a
line phone, or integrate a mobile into the mix?)

I am purchasing a hearing aid that will connect by Bluetooth to a
telephone.

I have a Seimens Gigaset dect handset. I use it with a Bluetooth headset
all the time.

Bluetooth doesn't have brilliant range so you need to carry the handset
with you, in a pocket, as you walk around the house.

Also the Bluetooth headset takes over both the microphone and speakers,
I'm not sure how this works with a hearing aid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 December 2018 09:24:22 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote

Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with
free unlimited calls and texts and MMS to any landline or
mobile in the country for something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.

Could be handy in an emergrency if teh satterlite system goes down due to CMEs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Welsh wrote:

On 14/12/2018 11:04, Broadback wrote:
On 14/12/2018 10:57, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/12/2018 09:12, Broadback wrote:

Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

What are you trying to achieve? (i.e. use a bluetooth headset on a
line phone, or integrate a mobile into the mix?)

I am purchasing a hearing aid that will connect by Bluetooth to a
telephone.

I have a Seimens Gigaset dect handset. I use it with a Bluetooth headset
all the time.

Bluetooth doesn't have brilliant range so you need to carry the handset
with you, in a pocket, as you walk around the house.

Also the Bluetooth headset takes over both the microphone and speakers,
I'm not sure how this works with a hearing aid.

What's supposed to happen is that if the HA doesn't report a microphone
then the existing microphone will still work. Whether that works in
practice is less predictable.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Satellite/3G/4G all *work*. Just not very well and rather expensively.

It works as well as the landline. And the cost isn't that bad.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
news
On 14/12/2018 09:24, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote
Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free unlimited
calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the country for
something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.

That is true Rod, but you still need a landline for the internet.

Plenty of broadband services dont anymore, often called a
naked service. no phone service, just the broadband service.

But no need to actually have a phone plugged into
it anymore even if there is a phone service. Many
dont anymore because of the damned spam calls.
Far fewer on mobile numbers and they are easier
to block on a smartphone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 14/12/2018 09:58, Broadback wrote:
On 14/12/2018 09:24, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote
Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free unlimited
calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the country for
something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.

That is true Rod, but you still need a landline for the internet.

Not *strictly* true.

Satellite/3G/4G all *work*. Just not very well and rather expensively.

Nothing expensive about a $10/month 4G service that
gives you unlimited calls and texts and MMSs to any
landline and mobile in the country and 1GB of data
and works much better than a landline too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 09:58:21 +0000, Broadback wrote:

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free
unlimited calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the

country ...

That is true Rod, but you still need a landline for the internet.

Assuming you can tolerate the delay and artifacts of mobile phone
calls.

Assuming you have reliable mobile coverage inside without having to
go to upstairs window on the right side of the house to stand any
chance of having an inteligible voice call.

And of course the landline exchnage has BFO batteries and an auto
start gen set. So a power failure is not likely to stop a landline
working. Majority of mobile cells have no or only minimal backup
power. If you're lucky you might be in range of cell that still has
power, wether you'll be able to make a call is debateable as umpteen
other customers who'd normall be on other cell(s) that are now
without power will also be trying to use it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 14 December 2018 09:24:22 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote

Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with
free unlimited calls and texts and MMS to any landline or
mobile in the country for something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.

Could be handy in an emergrency if teh satterlite system goes down due to
CMEs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection

Our landlines and mobiles dont use the satellite
system, it fiber optic that connects them now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 23:32, Rod Speed wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
news
On 14/12/2018 09:24, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote
Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free
unlimited calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the
country for something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.

That is true Rod, but you still need a landline for the internet.

Plenty of broadband services dont anymore, often called a
naked service. no phone service, just the broadband service.

But no need to actually have a phone plugged into
it anymore even if there is a phone service. Many
dont anymore because of the damned spam calls.
Far fewer on mobile numbers and they are easier
to block on a smartphone.

Some points. First when the O2 service went pear shaped the landline
still worked. As did my Spanish mobile. Even though I live within
Greater Manchester the O2 service can be patchy in my house. Other
providers seem to show similar signal strengths.

Second, my DECT base station can block numbers as quickly as on a land
line. Its pointless because they change numbers so often.

Lastly few providers seem to offer a reasonably priced naked service. A
and A do but they are expensive. As I have VDSL it would make sense for
BT to do it, because it would free up a pair back to the exchange, and
tey are (or were) short of pairs, but they want the line revenue.

As Money Saving Expert says when you try un-ticking the phone box to
compare broadband...

Beware broadband-only deals
Editor's tip: Ridiculously, it's almost always much cheaper to get
broadband with a landline than broadband-only. We think that should
change, but it's the situation now. If you only want broadband, just get
it with a landline and don't bother to plug your phone in.

same with 4g services. It might be fast but you can't get unlimited (as
far as I know) they are all capped at a few Gb less than I use....

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim J wrote:

news
On 14/12/2018 09:58, Broadback wrote:
On 14/12/2018 09:24, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote
Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free unlimited
calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the country for
something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.
That is true Rod, but you still need a landline for the internet.

Not *strictly* true.

Satellite/3G/4G all *work*. Just not very well and rather expensively.

Nothing expensive about a $10/month 4G service that
gives you unlimited calls and texts and MMSs to any
landline and mobile in the country and 1GB of data
and works much better than a landline too.

but you're not in the UK

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim J wrote:

news
On 14/12/2018 09:58, Broadback wrote:
On 14/12/2018 09:24, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote
Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free unlimited
calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the country for
something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.
That is true Rod, but you still need a landline for the internet.

Not *strictly* true.

Satellite/3G/4G all *work*. Just not very well and rather expensively.

Nothing expensive about a $10/month 4G service that
gives you unlimited calls and texts and MMSs to any
landline and mobile in the country and 1GB of data
and works much better than a landline too.

The only way I can get a reliable mobile phone service at home is to use a
nano-cell fed off my landline. We are round a tree-covered hill from the
base station

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
Broadback wrote

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because its so
easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free unlimited
calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the country ...

That is true Rod, but you still need a landline for the internet.

Assuming you can tolerate the delay and artifacts of mobile phone calls.

I don't get anything like that.

Assuming you have reliable mobile coverage inside without
having to go to upstairs window on the right side of the
house to stand any chance of having an inteligible voice call.

Or that either. One mate of mine does find that his mobile
calls do drop out in the block of flats carpark and lift, but
his landline doesn't actually work outside the flat.

And of course the landline exchnage has BFO batteries and an auto
start gen set. So a power failure is not likely to stop a landline
working.

My mobile service works fine with mains failures that last for hours.

Majority of mobile cells have no or only minimal backup power.

Maybe there, but it isnt like that here.

If you're lucky you might be in range of cell that still has power,

Don't need the cell to have mains power here.

wether you'll be able to make a call is debateable as umpteen
other customers who'd normall be on other cell(s) that are
now without power will also be trying to use it.

Not a problem here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 21:47:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Not a problem here.

The problem "here" is YOU, senile Rot!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Wade" wrote in message
news
On 14/12/2018 23:32, Rod Speed wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
news
[...]

The difference is that I get almost no spam calls on the mobile
and almost all of them on the landline. And now hardly any
non spam calls on the landline and so I am very tempted to
not have a phone plugged into the landline anymore.

Problem is that I am now of an age when people start to worry
if I am still around if they havent seen me in a while and I keep
pretty unusual hours so it can be a problem. One of my
neighbours came to visit a couple of times and couldnt see me.
They are all trained to not knock if they can't see me as I am
likely having a nap if the car is still there or out for a walk.

He mentioned that to his son who I have known since he was
a little kid who used to show up at my place quite often who
is no longer in this town and he only had my landline so he
rang me to check if I was ok. He happened to do it right in
the middle of preparing dinner and since I normally only
get spam calls on the landline and no longer choose to
pay for caller ID on the landline, didnt bother to answer.
Then he called later and I assumed it was just the spammer
calling again after no answer in the dinner hours. Then I
went to bed rather early as is my habit now only to have
both my neighbours banging on the door when the first
had had been told by the son that I wasnt answering my
phone and he asked the other neighbour on the other
side if he had seen me recently. Neither of them thought
to actually ring me on my mobile, and that wouldnt have
worked anyway given that I set do no disturb when sleeping.

Lastly few providers seem to offer a reasonably priced naked service. A
and A do but they are expensive. As I have VDSL it would make sense for BT
to do it, because it would free up a pair back to the exchange, and tey
are (or were) short of pairs, but they want the line revenue.

As Money Saving Expert says when you try un-ticking the phone box to
compare broadband...

Beware broadband-only deals
Editor's tip: Ridiculously, it's almost always much cheaper to get
broadband with a landline than broadband-only.

That isnt the case here.

We think that should change, but it's the situation now. If you only want
broadband, just get it with a landline and don't bother to plug your phone
in.

Yeah, thats what plenty do, basically because of the spam calls.

same with 4g services. It might be fast but you can't get unlimited (as
far as I know) they are all capped at a few Gb less than I use....

I only use it for data when out of the house and 1G is plenty even
tho I do use the broadband quite a bit on the garage sale run for
my own facebook garage sale group, checking the other main
buy swap sell group where many put up last minute garage sales
and say that the rest is half price etc towards lunchtime and I
also use it for navigation direct to a street number when that
is given.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim J wrote:

news
[...]

That’s available there too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim J wrote:

news
[...]

Sure, but that’s a tiny minority of the total population.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim J
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Tim J

news On 14/12/2018 09:58, Broadback wrote:
[...]

but unlikely to be $10 per month

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Tim J
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
[...]

Even you should be able to convert it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2018 18:22, Tim J wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Â* Tim J wrote:

[...]

1GB of data? cripes I'd get through that in a day...thats not even one
HD movie downloaded from Iplayter..

And 4G isnt a huge amount better than my 6Mbps.

And it doesnt come with a very important fixed IP addess either.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 15/12/2018 18:22, Tim J wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim J wrote:

[...]

Only a fool does that on their mobile service.

And 4G isnt a huge amount better than my 6Mbps.

Wrong, as always.

And it doesnt come with a very important fixed IP addess either.

Doesnt need to when you have a broadband service at home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 09:24, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote
Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free unlimited
calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the country for
something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.

Are you assuming that you don't need to have a landline for broadband
internet, the $10/month includes 10s or 100s of GBytes of data and that
reception of mobile in everyones[ house is perfect?

Once you are paying line rental you may as well just attach a phone to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2018 10:21, alan_m wrote:
On 14/12/2018 09:24, Rod Speed wrote:
Broadback wrote
Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free
unlimited calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the
country for something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.

Are you assuming that you don't need to have a landline for broadband
internet, the $10/month includes 10s or 100s of GBytes of data and that
reception of mobile in everyones[ house is perfect?

Once you are paying line rental you may as well just attach a phone to it.

TBH the only resaosn I have a landline is for broadband.

Plenty of other ways to make voice calls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim J
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Tim J
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
[...]

yes, - but that low?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Broadback wrote

Any recommendations as to phone and source please?

IMO its time to give up on line phones, essentially because
its so easy to get an unlimited mobile phone service with free unlimited
calls and texts and MMS to any landline or mobile in the country for
something like $10/month and
so you have an integrated set of contacts and call history
for much cheaper than a landline service now.

Are you assuming that you don't need to have a landline for broadband
internet,

No, that you dont bother with the landline anymore
even if one does come with the broadband service,
because you only get spam calls on it now and its
a lot more convenient to have all incoming and
outgoing calls on a smartphone which has a fully
integrated backup system so that even if the
smartphone does die or gets stolen or lost, it
is trivial to replace it, restore the backup and
carry on regardless with the replacement.

the $10/month includes 10s or 100s of GBytes of data

No, that you continue to do that with the
broadband thats in the house or work.

and that reception of mobile in everyones[ house is perfect?

You obviously wouldnt do it if the mobile service
in the house isnt fine. Doesnt need to be perfect.

Once you are paying line rental you may as well just attach a phone to it.

Thats wrong too when all you get on it is spam now.
Yes, it may be handy to continue to have a handset
available in case the mobile service at your house
does die for a while and you need to call out, but
even then, it makes more sense not leave it plugged
in so you never even notice any spam calls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
[...]

And I was pointing out that the best way is that way
with a well designed smartphone that has a fully
automatic backup system so that if the smartphone
dies, gets lost or stolen, you just replace it and carry
on regardless. Any other way of doing voice calls
suffers from the problem that your contacts and
call logs etc are scattered over a variety of devices.

Sure, you do need a decent mobile service available,
but its only a tiny subset who dont have that now.

Landlines are just too limited now and arent cheap
if you have to pay extra for one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 05:18:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,

FLUSH yet more of the well-known senile troll**** unread again

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder