Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,UK.d-i-y

Default Problem accessing NatWest Online Banking

Hi,
Using Firefox Quantum 63.0.3 on Win 10 Pro I can't access NatWest Online
Banking. I get the following message.
"Secure Connection Failed
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
authenticity of the received data could not be verified."

I was able to access the site last week with no problems.

Other banking sites are unaffected.
I can access the site using Chrome.

any ideas as to what the problem might be?

cheers,
Iain

---

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,UK.d-i-y

Iain wrote:

Hi,
Using Firefox Quantum 63.0.3 on Win 10 Pro I can't access NatWest Online
Banking. I get the following message.
"Secure Connection Failed
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
Â*Â*Â* The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
authenticity of the received data could not be verified."

I was able to access the site last week with no problems.

Other banking sites are unaffected.
I can access the site using Chrome.

any ideas as to what the problem might be?

The clue may be in your (non-compliant) signature, try disabling avast's
https scanning feature

https://blog.avast.com/2015/05/25/explaining-avasts-https-scanning-feature

cheers,
Iain

---

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,UK.d-i-y

On 04/12/2018 11:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Thanks for the respons Andy, I had forgotten that Avast has a habit of
reinstating The email signature when it updates. Hopefully, I've
disabled it again. I've turned off the https scanning but it has made no
difference. The problem persists.
cheers,
Iain
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,UK.d-i-y

Iain wrote:

I've turned off the https scanning but it has made no difference. The
problem persists.

Was that the full message you originally posted, or was there an
"advanced..." button showing more information? or letting you view
certificate details or add exceptions?
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,UK.d-i-y

On 04/12/2018 16:47, Andy Burns wrote:

Problem now resolved by deleting all cookies.

cheers,
Iain

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,UK.d-i-y

In article , Iain wrote:
Hi,
Using Firefox Quantum 63.0.3 on Win 10 Pro I can't access NatWest Online
Banking. I get the following message.
"Secure Connection Failed
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
authenticity of the received data could not be verified."

I was able to access the site last week with no problems.

Other banking sites are unaffected.
I can access the site using Chrome.

any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Oddly enough, it is usually Chrome with which I find this problem from
time to time.

When it happens, I need to delete all cookies and local storage related
to nwolb.com, and after that I can get in ok again. So maybe you need
to try something similar in Firefox?

But I think it boils down to something poorly implemented at the NatWest end.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,UK.d-i-y

On 04/12/2018 10:25, Iain wrote:
Hi,
Using Firefox Quantum 63.0.3 on Win 10 Pro I can't access NatWest Online
Banking. I get the following message.
"Secure Connection Failed
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
Â*Â*Â* The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
authenticity of the received data could not be verified."

I was able to access the site last week with no problems.

Other banking sites are unaffected.
I can access the site using Chrome.

any ideas as to what the problem might be?

No, but you are not alone. I am now getting that when seeking to log in at

https://www.nwolb.com/default.aspx

with Firefox (as yours).

But not in other browsers.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,UK.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

No, but you are not alone.Â* I am now getting that when seeking to log in at

https://www.nwolb.com/default.aspx

with Firefox (as yours).

The login page is OK for me, but I no longer have a natwest account.

Check your browser's TLS config, at SSLlabs
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

does it allow TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384?
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,UK.d-i-y

On 04/12/2018 18:37, Andy Burns wrote:
Robin wrote:

No, but you are not alone.Â* I am now getting that when seeking to log
in at

https://www.nwolb.com/default.aspx

with Firefox (as yours).

The login page is OK for me, but I no longer have a natwest account.

Check your browser's TLS config, at SSLlabs
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

does it allow TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384?

Thanks.

I have the NatWest login page back now so probably was a problem at
their server. But for the record the test (once I enabled allowed the
inevitable scripts) showed green "Forward Secrecy"

--
Robin