Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NatWest - home card reader?

Yesterday evening, I decided to make a transfer from my NatWest
account, to a TSB account, via online banking. A transfer I have never
made before, so it involved setting up a 'new recipient'. I filled in
all the details on the popup panel which appeared, but there was no
visible 'next' or 'accept' button on the panel. It might have been
below the screen, but there was no way to scroll down.

That left me stumped, so I rang their phone banking number. Indian guy
answers who was very difficult to understand, but I explained what I
was trying to do and the place where I was getting stuck. He wittered
on about it couldn't be done, without a home card reader gadget. I then
asked if he could implement the cash transfer for me, first he said no,
not unless I had the reader, then seemed to change his mind.

He managed it by sending a four digit code to my phone, me then reading
the digits back to him.

All very confusing, but it worked in the end. Has anyone heard of
NatWest's card readers? Why could I not progress with the online
banking, entering a new recipient?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/03/2018 14:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I have one of their card readers. The system works very well, and it
certainly beats a call to CS.

I'm pretty sure that you can order one online, but otherwise call CS again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote on 07/03/2018 :
I have one of their card readers. The system works very well, and it
certainly beats a call to CS.

I'm pretty sure that you can order one online, but otherwise call CS again.

Thanks, reader ordered and yes it can be ordered via online banking..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2018 14:25, GB wrote:

All very confusing, but it worked in the end. Has anyone heard of
NatWest's card readers? Why could I not progress with the online
banking, entering a new recipient?

I've had one for 10+ years. Didn't think you could set up a payee
online without one.

I have one of their card readers. The system works very well, and it
certainly beats a call to CS.

I'm pretty sure that you can order one online,

You can

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Um, pretty sure you should have received a home card reader when you set up
online banking. Its a pretty integral part of the security system.

Yes, you can do some stuff without it but my BS (Nationwide, which uses the
same card readers) requires it for setting up new payments.

Why could I not progress with the online
banking, entering a new recipient?

Its just another level of fraud protection. By generating codes that cant
be intercepted it makes it very hard for anyone without both your card,
your card reader and your account log in details to carry out any serious
fraud.

Gullible users and phishing emails make account details and login
names/passwords *relatively* easy to get hold of but without the card and
card reader, a third party accessing your account could only, at worst, pay
someone youve paid before, not transfer funds to a new account.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin presented the following explanation :
I've had one for 10+ years. Didn't think you could set up a payee online
without one.

You can/could with the Halifax, it would send you a four digit code as
a text, which you then typed into online banking.

I was able to set up a new payee in NatWest, by a similar process, but
only whilst actually talking to them on the phone, reading the texted
code back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin has brought this to us :
I'd go to your local bank branch and ask them for help. If you have given
somebody your password change it quick.

--

There was no such issues, I just needed to transfer a lump of funds
from my Natwest account, to a TSB account.

The telephone banking op, mentioned I could have popped into branch to
make the transfer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/7/2018 9:49 AM, Martin wrote:

I'd go to your local bank branch and ask them for help. If you have given
somebody your password change it quick.

That's going to be difficult for many people.
RBS has announced the closing of my nearest branch (5 miles away),
probably by the end of the year. The next nearest branches of ANY bank,
are either 40 miles east or 100 miles south.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2018 14:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
He managed it by sending a four digit code to my phone, me then reading
the digits back to him.

All very confusing, but it worked in the end. Has anyone heard of
NatWest's card readers? Why could I not progress with the online
banking, entering a new recipient?

Yes. I have one in front of me now. It looks like any other banks home
card reader except in Natwest colours and with a red Natwest logo on the
front. You need it to initiate any new or novel online transfers.

No idea when they switched it on but at least 3 years ago.

Looks to be identical to the Nationwide one apart from the colour of the
plastic and the type of cards it will accept. They are annoyingly brand
specific so you can't just use another banks - it says "wrong card".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes a lot of these devices have been in the news again recently for
discriminating against blind users. the last time this happened on the
earlier keypad devices they Were forced to bring out talking keypads.
sounds like we are doing it all again for card readers now. lessons will not
be learned of course.
And people wonder why we don't want to use online banking.
Recently a minor change on the halifax web site, completely invisible to
the sighted completely ruined access by the blind to their accounts.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 15:03:54 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Looks to be identical to the Nationwide one apart from the colour of the
plastic and the type of cards it will accept. They are annoyingly brand
specific so you can't just use another banks - it says "wrong card".

Not always. I used my Barclays one yesterday to validate a Lloyds
transaction.
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2018 15:00, S Viemeister wrote:
On 3/7/2018 9:49 AM, Martin wrote:

I'd go to your local bank branch and ask them for help. If you have given
somebody your password change it quick.

That's going to be difficult for many people.
RBS has announced the closing of my nearest branch (5 miles away),
probably by the end of the year. The next nearest branches of ANY bank,
are either 40 miles east or 100 miles south.

Nice of them to actually announce it. I found out one local branch had
closed when I tried to make an appointment to see the manager and was
told that no such branch existed. I knew it did - I had been in a month
before. Checking Manchester Evening News online showed it was a branch
they decided to suddenly close which sort of explains why I didn't know.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2018 14:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

... NatWest home card reader gadget...

In theory you can use any bank's card reader with any banking app.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_A...cation_Program

" ...card readers issued by most, possibly all, UK banks conform to a
CAP subset defined by APACS, meaning that, in most cases, cards issued
by a UK bank can be used in a card reader issued by a different bank."

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
He managed it by sending a four digit code to my phone, me then reading
the digits back to him.

All very confusing, but it worked in the end. Has anyone heard of
NatWest's card readers? Why could I not progress with the online
banking, entering a new recipient?

Barclays have had similar for ages. They call it a PINSentry unit. Only
really needed for setting up a new payee from your account. Once you've
done that, you can then transfer money to that account without it, as
often as you like.

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2018 15:41, Reentrant wrote:
On 07/03/2018 14:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

... NatWest home card reader gadget...

In theory you can use any bank's card reader with any banking app.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_A...cation_Program

" ...card readers issued by most, possibly all, UK banks conform to a
CAP subset defined by APACS, meaning that, in most cases, cards issued
by a UK bank can be used in a card reader issued by a different bank."

They might but most of the ones I have check that the card is from the
bank that has its logo on the front. I know this experimentally.

They may follow the protocol but that doesn't mean they will accept
other bank cards (although it seems some Barclays are more tolerant).
I don't have one of them so can't test it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/03/2018 14:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
He managed it by sending a four digit code to my phone, me then reading
the digits back to him.

All very confusing, but it worked in the end. Has anyone heard of
NatWest's card readers? Why could I not progress with the online
banking, entering a new recipient?

Yes. I have one in front of me now. It looks like any other banks home
card reader except in Natwest colours and with a red Natwest logo on the
front. You need it to initiate any new or novel online transfers.

No idea when they switched it on but at least 3 years ago.

Looks to be identical to the Nationwide one apart from the colour of the
plastic and the type of cards it will accept. They are annoyingly brand
specific so you can't just use another banks - it says "wrong card".

Um, we have a NatWest one and a Nationwide one. They both generate the same
codes.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/18 14:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
GB wrote on 07/03/2018 :
I have one of their card readers. The system works very well, and it
certainly beats a call to CS.

I'm pretty sure that you can order one online, but otherwise call CS
again.

Thanks, reader ordered and yes it can be ordered via online banking..

If you have another bank's, try that - my RBS reader works fine with
Nationwide.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message

Its just another level of fraud protection. By generating codes that
cant
be intercepted it makes it very hard for anyone without both your card,
your card reader and your account log in details to carry out any serious
fraud.

not much point in them "IF" you can use any card reader is there??

In theory you can use any bank's card reader with any banking app.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_A...cation_Program

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2018 16:48, Mark wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

It€„¢s just another level of fraud protection. By generating codes that
can€„¢t
be intercepted it makes it very hard for anyone without both your card,
your card reader and your account log in details to carry out any serious
fraud.

not much point in them "IF" you can use any card reader is there??

Yes. It means that you can prove to the bank that you have both the
physical card and the PIN. You enter a one time transaction code that
partly encodes the value of the transfer in pennies and it scrambles it
when you enter your PIN to give another code that you type in.

It means new transactions can only be set up by someone who has control
of both card and PIN (and sometimes mobile phone or landline as well).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 16:59:35 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/03/2018 16:39, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 16:23:30 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 07/03/2018 16:13, Tim+ wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 07:35:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 15:03:54 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Looks to be identical to the Nationwide one apart from the colour of the
plastic and the type of cards it will accept. They are annoyingly brand
specific so you can't just use another banks - it says "wrong card".

Not always. I used my Barclays one yesterday to validate a Lloyds
transaction.
John

They are pin code specific accord
ing to HSBC.

Maybe applies to the HSBC card reader but I can assure you that it makes no
difference which card reader I use to make a Nationwide payment, the
NatWest reader and the Nationwide one work identically when fed with the
same card/PIN.

That one I can test. You are right the Natwest card reader appears to
not be locked to a specific bank. I will experiment more. It was about
to get thrown out since I no longer bank with them either. But now their
card reader would appear to have some utility as being generic.

If google you can find out how to change the pin code if you need to.

I think yours must be different.

The Natwest card reader seems to work with several major UK bank cards
and any valid PIN. It baulks at Santanders cards though.

Santander does use that sort of authenication they use passwords.
When I was with barclays they also seemed to work using the date and time in some way.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-03-07, Mark wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message

Its just another level of fraud protection. By generating codes that
cant
be intercepted it makes it very hard for anyone without both your card,
your card reader and your account log in details to carry out any serious
fraud.

not much point in them "IF" you can use any card reader is there??

Wrong. All the information is in the card. The reader is irrelevant.

One great advantage of the way any reader works with any card is that
the muggers can carry a reader to check that you have given them the
right pin for your card, so they no longer need to march people to the
cash machine

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 07/03/2018 14:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
He managed it by sending a four digit code to my phone, me then reading
the digits back to him.

All very confusing, but it worked in the end. Has anyone heard of
NatWest's card readers? Why could I not progress with the online banking,
entering a new recipient?

Yes. I have one in front of me now. It looks like any other banks home
card reader except in Natwest colours and with a red Natwest logo on the
front. You need it to initiate any new or novel online transfers.

No idea when they switched it on but at least 3 years ago.

Looks to be identical to the Nationwide one apart from the colour of the
plastic and the type of cards it will accept. They are annoyingly brand
specific so you can't just use another banks - it says "wrong card".

I bank with Nat West and my wife banks with Barclays. We can use each
other's card readers - ie a NatWest reader will read a Barclays debit card
and vice versa.

I was told by the counter staff in my NatWest that this applies to all card
readers, but given other people's hit-and-miss experiences, it seems that
this isn't always the case...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/7/2018 10:37 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/03/2018 15:00, S Viemeister wrote:
On 3/7/2018 9:49 AM, Martin wrote:

I'd go to your local bank branch and ask them for help. If you have
given
somebody your password change it quick.

That's going to be difficult for many people.
RBS has announced the closing of my nearest branch (5 miles away),
probably by the end of the year. The next nearest branches of ANY
bank, are either 40 miles east or 100 miles south.

Nice of them to actually announce it. I found out one local branch had
closed when I tried to make an appointment to see the manager and was
told that no such branch existed. I knew it did - I had been in a month
before. Checking Manchester Evening News online showed it was a branch
they decided to suddenly close which sort of explains why I didn't know.

It was supposed to be closed much sooner, but there was a major campaign
to save it. I'm sure that they'll be much quieter next time, the way
Royal Mail was, when they eliminated our PostBus service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote on 07/03/2018 :
I have one of their card readers. The system works very well, and it
certainly beats a call to CS.

I'm pretty sure that you can order one online, but otherwise call CS
again.

Thanks, reader ordered and yes it can be ordered via online banking..

If you have another bank's, try that - my RBS reader works fine with
Nationwide.

The non-backlit display on my Barclays version has got a bit dim,
so I went into the branch to complain and they just gave me
another one.

I inquired if it needed to be locked to my account, but apparently
they are generic, so if someone steals your card and knows your
pin, they can presumably still empty your account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

GB wrote on 07/03/2018 :
I have one of their card readers. The system works very well, and it
certainly beats a call to CS.

I'm pretty sure that you can order one online, but otherwise call CS
again.

Thanks, reader ordered and yes it can be ordered via online banking..

If you have another bank's, try that - my RBS reader works fine with
Nationwide.

And Co-op works with Natwest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/03/2018 15:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes a lot of these devices have been in the news again recently for
discriminating against blind users. the last time this happened on the
earlier keypad devices they Were forced to bring out talking keypads.
sounds like we are doing it all again for card readers now. lessons will not
be learned of course.
And people wonder why we don't want to use online banking.
Recently a minor change on the halifax web site, completely invisible to
the sighted completely ruined access by the blind to their accounts.
Brian

Don't you have a reader that can tell you what an LCD display is showing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
He managed it by sending a four digit code to my phone, me then reading
the digits back to him.

All very confusing, but it worked in the end. Has anyone heard of
NatWest's card readers? Why could I not progress with the online
banking, entering a new recipient?

Barclays have had similar for ages. They call it a PINSentry unit. Only
really needed for setting up a new payee from your account. Once you've
done that, you can then transfer money to that account without it, as
often as you like.

Until all your payees mysteriously vanish and you have to set them
up all over again.

Happened to me last year. Never could understand Barclays 'explanation'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 15:37:04 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 07/03/2018 15:00, S Viemeister wrote:
On 3/7/2018 9:49 AM, Martin wrote:

I'd go to your local bank branch and ask them for help. If you have given
somebody your password change it quick.

That's going to be difficult for many people.
RBS has announced the closing of my nearest branch (5 miles away),
probably by the end of the year. The next nearest branches of ANY bank,
are either 40 miles east or 100 miles south.

Nice of them to actually announce it. I found out one local branch had
closed when I tried to make an appointment to see the manager and was
told that no such branch existed. I knew it did - I had been in a month
before. Checking Manchester Evening News online showed it was a branch
they decided to suddenly close which sort of explains why I didn't know.

I sent a cheque and credit slip to the address on my cheque book, only
to find that the branch had been closed and redirection had expired,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 15:57:14 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 07/03/2018 15:41, Reentrant wrote:
On 07/03/2018 14:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

... NatWest home card reader gadget...

In theory you can use any bank's card reader with any banking app.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_A...cation_Program

" ...card readers issued by most, possibly all, UK banks conform to a
CAP subset defined by APACS, meaning that, in most cases, cards issued
by a UK bank can be used in a card reader issued by a different bank."

They might but most of the ones I have check that the card is from the
bank that has its logo on the front. I know this experimentally.

They may follow the protocol but that doesn't mean they will accept
other bank cards (although it seems some Barclays are more tolerant).
I don't have one of them so can't test it.

They certainly cope with changes in the last four digits of the card.
Barclays change the 16 digit number each time a new debit card is
issued and I can assure you this does not require a new Pinsentry
machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

I suggested a while ago that banks could setup a (opt-in ?) mechanism
whereby entering the PIN backwards triggers an "insufficient funds"
message - and a call to the local plod ?

Just like all the urban legends then? ;-). Not a bad idea, just never been
implemented.

http://urbanlegendsonline.com/pin-number-reversal/

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote on 07/03/2018 :
I have one of their card readers. The system works very well, and it
certainly beats a call to CS.

I'm pretty sure that you can order one online, but otherwise call CS
again.

Thanks, reader ordered and yes it can be ordered via online banking..

If you have another bank's, try that - my RBS reader works fine with
Nationwide.

The non-backlit display on my Barclays version has got a bit dim,
so I went into the branch to complain and they just gave me
another one.

Did you try a new battery? You can adjust the contrast on the
Nationwide/NatWest ones.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2018 18:13, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Harry Bloomfield wrote:
He managed it by sending a four digit code to my phone, me then reading
the digits back to him.

All very confusing, but it worked in the end. Has anyone heard of
NatWest's card readers? Why could I not progress with the online
banking, entering a new recipient?

Barclays have had similar for ages. They call it a PINSentry unit. Only
really needed for setting up a new payee from your account.

You can use it to log into online banking as an alternative to the
"passcode/memorable word" method. You just need your debit card's PIN.

Once you've
done that, you can then transfer money to that account without it, as
often as you like.

Until all your payees mysteriously vanish and you have to set them
up all over again.

I find it rather annoying that payees disappear after a year of
inaction. I only pay my water bill once a year so it tends to disappear
and I have to set it up again with the danger of getting it wrong.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 07/03/2018, Andrew supposed :
The non-backlit display on my Barclays version has got a bit dim,
so I went into the branch to complain and they just gave me
another one.

I inquired if it needed to be locked to my account, but apparently
they are generic, so if someone steals your card and knows your
pin, they can presumably still empty your account.

So, anyone could borrow anyone else's reader and it should work,
certainly if it the same bank? There is nothing coded in the reader, to
the account?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I thought it was 13 months for that very reason.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 19:47:51 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 07/03/2018, Andrew supposed :
The non-backlit display on my Barclays version has got a bit dim,
so I went into the branch to complain and they just gave me
another one.

I inquired if it needed to be locked to my account, but apparently
they are generic, so if someone steals your card and knows your
pin, they can presumably still empty your account.

So, anyone could borrow anyone else's reader and it should work,
certainly if it the same bank? There is nothing coded in the reader, to
the account?

That's my understanding. I don't see this as an issue though because
it is the combination of the last four digits and the PIN that
generates the eight digit code. As long as you keep your PIN secret,
you are in much the same position as you would be at an ATM (which is
also not coded to any particular bank/account).