Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best/easiest to D-I-Y glass replacement plastic?

We have a small steel boat and I'm removing and replacing the windows
in order to clean up the corrosion around them. The existing windows
are laminated glass 4mm thick and they are a pig to replace without
damaging them. We're getting better at it but a couple of the windows
will need replacing.

So, what's the best type of clear plastic to use to replace them? The
windows don't really need the strength of laminated glass, it's not a
speed boat. I guess it's just 'safety' glass to prevent the risk of
sticking one's hand through them.

We obviously do want reasonably good clarity and UV lifetime. However
the main requirement is that the plastic is easy to work with. Some
of the windows are quite odd shapes, like five sided, and they all
have curved corners. So we need to cut them out with a jig-saw. They
are also difficult to re-insert in the rubber seals (we have new
seals, they're as soft as they're going to be) so toughness (in
particular resistance to cracking) is important.

Any/all advice welcome, re most suitable types of plastic and good
suppliers.

--
Chris Green
·