Chris

Default Best (easiest) solution to fixing wiring bodge

Hi there,

In the process of running network cabling through the house, I lifted a
floor board upstairs to discover an 'interesting' bit of wiring on the
lighting circuit. Basically on one light fitting, all the T+E lighting
cables (including switch cable) are terminated in a terminal strip (choc
block), with approx 1 metre length of two core flex going through the
next joist and to the light fitting.

Would it be acceptable to replace the terminal strip with a junction box
attached to the joist, and replace the flex with a length of T+E, or do
I need to do more (obviously I'd prefer to avoid replacing all the
existing T+E cable with cable of the correct length to reach the light
fitting).

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Christian McArdle

Would it be acceptable to replace the terminal strip with a junction
box attached to the joist, and replace the flex with a length of T+E,
or do I need to do more

You can (and should) replace the chocolate block with a junction box, which
will be much safer.

Technically, being a concealed terminal block, you should retain some sort
of maintenance access by not covering your floorboards with laminate or
other hard to lift floor coverings. Alternatively, you can extend the cables
using crimps and run to the light fitting, where loop in terminals would be
accessible. Crimped connections may be concealed totally.

Christian.

chris French

In message , Chris
writes
Hi there,

In the process of running network cabling through the house, I lifted a
floor board upstairs to discover an 'interesting' bit of wiring on the
lighting circuit. Basically on one light fitting, all the T+E lighting
cables (including switch cable) are terminated in a terminal strip
(choc block), with approx 1 metre length of two core flex going through
the next joist and to the light fitting.

Would it be acceptable to replace the terminal strip with a junction
box attached to the joist, and replace the flex with a length of T+E,

Yes.
--
Chris French, Leeds
MrCheerful

"Chris" wrote in
message ...
Hi there,

In the process of running network cabling through the house, I lifted a
floor board upstairs to discover an 'interesting' bit of wiring on the
lighting circuit. Basically on one light fitting, all the T+E lighting
cables (including switch cable) are terminated in a terminal strip (choc
block), with approx 1 metre length of two core flex going through the
next joist and to the light fitting.

Would it be acceptable to replace the terminal strip with a junction box
attached to the joist, and replace the flex with a length of T+E, or do
I need to do more (obviously I'd prefer to avoid replacing all the
existing T+E cable with cable of the correct length to reach the light
fitting).

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

A properly installed, correctly sized junction box is perfectly acceptable.

Chris

Christian McArdle wrote:

Would it be acceptable to replace the terminal strip with a junction
box attached to the joist, and replace the flex with a length of T+E,
or do I need to do more

You can (and should) replace the chocolate block with a junction box, which
will be much safer.

Technically, being a concealed terminal block, you should retain some sort
of maintenance access by not covering your floorboards with laminate or
other hard to lift floor coverings. Alternatively, you can extend the cables
using crimps and run to the light fitting, where loop in terminals would be
accessible. Crimped connections may be concealed totally.

Christian.

Thanks Christian (and everyone else who has answered). The concealed
nature of the junction box was concerning me, but the only covering will
be the floorboards and carpet, so I should be ok.

Many thanks again everyone,

Chris.

The Natural Philosopher

Chris wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:

[...]

Yes. Its all very strange, but te ratinale seems to be if it can be
taken aaprt wth a screwdriver, its not 'permenent' and therefore needs
to be 'accessible' whereas crimps - arguably no more relaible, but
un-disnamtleable, can be buried out of sight foerever.

Frankly its more or less total ******** IMHO. On reflction I bury
junction boxes behind plasterboard and under flooring. Very few faults
on wiring etc I have ever had to deal with were able to be fixed by
simple access with a screwdriver.

Many thanks again everyone,

Chris.

N. Thornton

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...

Yes. Its all very strange, but te ratinale seems to be if it can be
taken aaprt wth a screwdriver, its not 'permenent' and therefore needs
to be 'accessible' whereas crimps - arguably no more relaible, but
un-disnamtleable, can be buried out of sight foerever.

Frankly its more or less total ******** IMHO. On reflction I bury
junction boxes behind plasterboard and under flooring. Very few faults
on wiring etc I have ever had to deal with were able to be fixed by
simple access with a screwdriver.

I've fixed many faults that way, loose screws are common. This is
precisely why screw terminals should not be permanently buried.

Regards, NT