Scott

Default Best /Easiest Paint for Internal Doors

Ok - just had 10 internal doors replaced with std 6 panel doors.

Now - need to paint the things.

Whats best paint to start:-

Primer I suppose

But then the top coat...

Could stick with Silk to make it easier

Or Gloss but then a neighbour said he used some dort of enamel paint -
no idea.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Scott
Chris Bacon

Scott wrote:
Ok - just had 10 internal doors replaced with std 6 panel doors.
Now - need to paint the things.
Whats best paint to start:-
Primer I suppose
But then the top coat...
Could stick with Silk to make it easier
Or Gloss but then a neighbour said he used some dort of enamel paint -
no idea.
Any suggestions appreciated.

1) Rub down and fill where needed.

2) Apply knotting - this is important (if you've got big resinous
knots in the timber and you want to do to do a proper job, cut out &
fill, or "sweat" them at least, but knotting is OK for most knots).

3) Primer.

4) Undercoat, probably x2.

4) Gloss.

Well, that's the best way. Alternatively, chuck acrylic primer on,
then acrylic "gloss". I don't like this stuff, though. The easiest
thing to do is probably roller the lot with emulsion paint, or
varnish them.
RichardS

"Scott" wrote in message
Ok - just had 10 internal doors replaced with std 6 panel doors.

Now - need to paint the things.

Whats best paint to start:-

Primer I suppose

But then the top coat...

Could stick with Silk to make it easier

Or Gloss but then a neighbour said he used some dort of enamel paint -
no idea.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Scott

As Chris says, preparation then knotting then primer.

I'd differ from there, though, and say that if you don't have a particular
preference for high-gloss woodwork then go with two coats of a decent trade
eggshell (personally I'd always go with oil based - I really don't like
painting with acrylic based stuff).

It doesn't require undercoat, and IMHO stays looking good longer &
highlights definition in door panels/beading better.

Dulux is v. expensive. Leyland & Johnstones are good IME and a _lot_
cheaper. Haven't tried Crown, McPhersons or others though.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

fred

In article , Scott
writes
Ok - just had 10 internal doors replaced with std 6 panel doors.

Now - need to paint the things.

Whats best paint to start:-

Primer I suppose

But then the top coat...

Could stick with Silk to make it easier

Or Gloss but then a neighbour said he used some dort of enamel paint -
no idea.

Any suggestions appreciated.

My personal choice is:
Dulux trade quick drying wood primer undercoat, 1 coat (for speed)
Dulux trade undercoat (for opacity), 1 coat
Dulux trade eggshell (not the quick drying one), 2 coats (for durability)

The primer is water based so quick to dry, others are oil based so take an
age. Probably not the quickest but this combo it is my fave for good
looking durable finish. Eggshell is sort of low sheen silky and can be
mixed to any colour, IIRC, the undercoat is available in white for light top
coats and grey for dark colours.

Acrylic (water based) top coats are quicker but I don't rate them for stain
resistance or durability, something I think is important for doors.
--
fred

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Camp Painting help Needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 14 February 19th 05 10:17 PM
Paint yellowed _ HELP! jhs Home Ownership 2 May 1st 04 04:53 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM