Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Demise of the chest freezer?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 01:51:46 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 22/10/2018 17:48, Rod Speed wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 22/10/2018 10:05, Rod Speed wrote:
"FMurtz" wrote in message
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

If you believe news articles, there's deadly bacteria in most meat.
Cook it slightly wrong and you die.

Ever wondered why the chefs sear the out side and leave the inside raw
on a good steak.

That's to keep the juices inside.

No it's not.

Yes it is, that's why its called seal.

It's to initiate the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction to
improve the flavour

There is more than one effect going on.

(as well as kill any surface bugs).

No need for the highest temperatures for that.

It's been shown that searing a steak does nothing to "seal in the
juices",

Of bull****. That's why you arent supposed to cut
it to see if its done enough inside when cooking it.

even though packs of meat often claim it does, even with diced meat
where you don't want the flavour to be sealed in as it might as well go
into the gravy of the stew or casserole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Searing

'Although often said to "lock in the moisture" or "seal in the juices",
searing has been demonstrated to result in a greater net loss of
moisture versus cooking to the same internal temperature without first
searing.'

I don't buy that with steaks.

And since we are on the subject, what is the
reason for the oft repeated claim that it is
important to only ever turn the steak once ?
Never could work out the physics of that.

With a Foreman grill you don't have to turn it at all.

Sure, but that doesn't answer the question of why its
so often proclaimed that with the single sided grills
and hot plates, the steak should only be turned once.

The only thing I can think of its that multiple heating and cooling
produces a worse result but hard to see the physic of why. And
why it doesn't apply to say searing chunks of meat in a frypan etc.

So much easier to cook vegetables.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

"FMurtz" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, and many of them are fine to eat raw, but IMO a lettuce
or spud isnt a patch on the best steak or a leg of lamb roasted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but to me all meat tastes identical. But there are so many different flavours of vegetables to choose from, and of course it's mainly what you add to the meat or veg that gives it the flavour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, what you have between your ears.

but to me all meat tastes identical.

Even sillier than you usually manage with raw fish and a steak.

But there are so many different flavours of vegetables to choose from,

There is with meat too. Prosciutto is nothing like raw fish.

and of course it's mainly what you add to the meat or veg that gives it
the flavour.

Utterly managed all over again with raw fish and steak and roast legs of
lamb and bacon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:39:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 112 lines of stinking troll ****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Typical retarded "conversation" between the Scottish ****** and senile
Ozzietard:

Birdbrain: "Horse **** doesn't stink."

Senile Rot: "It does if you roll in it."

Birdbrain: "I've never worked out why, I assumed it was maybe meateaters
that made stinky ****, but then why does vegetarian human **** stink? Is it
just the fact that we're capable of digesting meat?"

Senile Rot: "Nope, some cow **** stinks too."