Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repair 'putty' for PVC pipe - is there such a thing?

I have a tiny drip leak in a rather inaccessible PVC (or ABS, solvent
weld anyway) pipe. Removing and replacing is well nigh impossible
without knocking half of the house down. It's a solvent weld joint
that isn't quite perfect. I can get my fingers to it, just, but not
much else.

It's quite difficult to make it dry though that *might* be possible if
I have to.

Is there any sort of repair gunge/glue/putty that I can use to mend
it? I can (as I said) just get my fingers to it so I could smear blobs
of 'stuff' onto it. Ideally it should work on damp pipe but if I
really have to I could drain it and attempt to dry it before trying to
fix it.

It's not under (much) pressure, but it does have water in it all the
time (hence the drip).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

It's a solvent weld joint
that isn't quite perfect. I can get my fingers to it, just

Smear a little solvent cement around the joint with a (butyl?) gloved
finger and mould the melted plastic around the leak?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2018 17:04, Chris Green wrote:
I have a tiny drip leak in a rather inaccessible PVC (or ABS, solvent
weld anyway) pipe. Removing and replacing is well nigh impossible
without knocking half of the house down. It's a solvent weld joint
that isn't quite perfect. I can get my fingers to it, just, but not
much else.

It's quite difficult to make it dry though that *might* be possible if
I have to.

Is there any sort of repair gunge/glue/putty that I can use to mend
it? I can (as I said) just get my fingers to it so I could smear blobs
of 'stuff' onto it. Ideally it should work on damp pipe but if I
really have to I could drain it and attempt to dry it before trying to
fix it.

It's not under (much) pressure, but it does have water in it all the
time (hence the drip).

Could you use a puncture repair kit? Seriously. A little round patch?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 October 2018 17:16:06 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
I have a tiny drip leak in a rather inaccessible PVC (or ABS, solvent
weld anyway) pipe. Removing and replacing is well nigh impossible
without knocking half of the house down. It's a solvent weld joint
that isn't quite perfect. I can get my fingers to it, just, but not
much else.

It's quite difficult to make it dry though that *might* be possible if
I have to.

Is there any sort of repair gunge/glue/putty that I can use to mend
it? I can (as I said) just get my fingers to it so I could smear blobs
of 'stuff' onto it. Ideally it should work on damp pipe but if I
really have to I could drain it and attempt to dry it before trying to
fix it.

It's not under (much) pressure, but it does have water in it all the
time (hence the drip).

epoxy works on abs. Pick the soft tacky stuff for best adhesion. Or you could dissolve some of the plastic in a solvent.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2018 17:45, wrote:
[...]

I was going to say that. And the special "plumbers" stuff that comes in
a single stick certainly works well in wet surfaces. Rather to my
surprise it even worked on a very small pinhole at the bottom of a DHW
cylinder, with about five feet of head.

Best to use "surgeon's" gloves, but if you are not too fussy you can
even use fingers safely provided you wash well with soap and water
straight afterwards.

I have never thought to try "araldite" on a wet surface though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I have a tiny drip leak in a rather inaccessible PVC (or ABS, solvent
weld anyway) pipe. Removing and replacing is well nigh impossible
without knocking half of the house down. It's a solvent weld joint
that isn't quite perfect. I can get my fingers to it, just, but not
much else.

It's quite difficult to make it dry though that *might* be possible if
I have to.

Is there any sort of repair gunge/glue/putty that I can use to mend
it? I can (as I said) just get my fingers to it so I could smear blobs
of 'stuff' onto it. Ideally it should work on damp pipe but if I
really have to I could drain it and attempt to dry it before trying to
fix it.

It's not under (much) pressure, but it does have water in it all the
time (hence the drip).

Sugru should work and easy to apply with a finger in that situation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2018 21:53, samchunk wrote:

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I have a tiny drip leak in a rather inaccessible PVC (or ABS, solvent
weld anyway) pipe.Â* Removing and replacing is well nigh impossible
without knocking half of the house down.Â* It's a solvent weld joint
that isn't quite perfect.Â* I can get my fingers to it, just, but not
much else.

It's quite difficult to make it dry though that *might* be possible if
I have to.

Is there any sort of repair gunge/glue/putty that I can use to mend
it? I can (as I said) just get my fingers to it so I could smear blobs
of 'stuff' onto it.Â* Ideally it should work on damp pipe but if I
really have to I could drain it and attempt to dry it before trying to
fix it.

It's not under (much) pressure, but it does have water in it all the
time (hence the drip).

Sugru should work and easy to apply with a finger in that situation.

Probably won't stick to wet pipe, though?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2018 17:04, Chris Green wrote:
I have a tiny drip leak in a rather inaccessible PVC (or ABS, solvent
weld anyway) pipe. Removing and replacing is well nigh impossible
without knocking half of the house down. It's a solvent weld joint
that isn't quite perfect. I can get my fingers to it, just, but not
much else.

It's quite difficult to make it dry though that *might* be possible if
I have to.

Is there any sort of repair gunge/glue/putty that I can use to mend
it? I can (as I said) just get my fingers to it so I could smear blobs
of 'stuff' onto it. Ideally it should work on damp pipe but if I
really have to I could drain it and attempt to dry it before trying to
fix it.

It's not under (much) pressure, but it does have water in it all the
time (hence the drip).

The other thing I have done successfully on waste pipes is to bind
around a leak site with ordinary PVC electrical tape. Put the tape on
under tension and spiral wrap with a 50% overlap. This may not work in
your case, though, if the pipe runs tight to a wall and you cannot pull
it away far enough to pass the tape reel round the back. You can make an
almost invisible repair like this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
I have a tiny drip leak in a rather inaccessible PVC (or ABS, solvent
weld anyway) pipe. Removing and replacing is well nigh impossible
without knocking half of the house down. It's a solvent weld joint
that isn't quite perfect. I can get my fingers to it, just, but not
much else.

It's quite difficult to make it dry though that *might* be possible if
I have to.

Is there any sort of repair gunge/glue/putty that I can use to mend
it? I can (as I said) just get my fingers to it so I could smear blobs
of 'stuff' onto it. Ideally it should work on damp pipe but if I
really have to I could drain it and attempt to dry it before trying to
fix it.

It's not under (much) pressure, but it does have water in it all the
time (hence the drip).

Ms polymer adhesive - Stixall, Sticks like S**t, Sika Multistick
etc etc...

Sticks to wet surfaces .
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 October 2018 18:59:26 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 14/10/2018 17:45, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I tried that on a pinhole in plastic waste. Utterly useless.

Rather to my
surprise it even worked on a very small pinhole at the bottom of a DHW
cylinder, with about five feet of head.

Best to use "surgeon's" gloves, but if you are not too fussy you can
even use fingers safely provided you wash well with soap and water
straight afterwards.

I have never thought to try "araldite" on a wet surface though.

Wipe it off first! And fwiw I would never buy araldite.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

But it wouldnt be hard to dry it given that it doesnt always have water in
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 09:03:47 +1100, samchunk, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Is there any sort of repair gunge/glue/putty that I can use to mend
it? I can (as I said) just get my fingers to it so I could smear blobs
of 'stuff' onto it. Ideally it should work on damp pipe but if I
really have to I could drain it and attempt to dry it before trying to
fix it.

It's not under (much) pressure, but it does have water in it all the
time (hence the drip).

Sugru should work and easy to apply with a finger in that situation.

Probably won't stick to wet pipe, though?

But it wouldn¢t be hard to dry it given that it doesn¢t always have water in
it.

He just said that it would be hard to do so as it "does have water in it all
the time", you senile cretin!

--
Java Jive to senile Rot:
You're getting there, it's clear that you've now reached the level of
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Maybe "Gorilla"? It needs water/damp to make it go off.
Not quite sure how any running water/drip would affect it.
If you have a wet vacuum cleaner,you could suck any water in the pipe out by applying to the sink waste outlet?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

Maybe "Gorilla"? It needs water/damp to make it go off.
Not quite sure how any running water/drip would affect it.

It takes a while to go off, and ends up with a foam (not sure if it's
open or closed cell) but I can imagine a leak just washing a hole
through the glue as it cures.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
[...]

Self-amalgamating tape would be ideal - but difficult to apply properly
in confined spaces or single-handed.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

a pipe with joins made of pvc which is inaccessible is not a good
idea for the future

But if you need such a pipe, solvent weld is usually the best idea in
terms of staying leak free, if installed properly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

a pipe with joins made of pvc which is inaccessible is not a good
idea for the future

But if you need such a pipe, solvent weld is usually the best idea in
terms of staying leak free, if installed properly.

I'm less sure now that the drip is actually coming from the pipe. I'm
surprised if it is because I made the original joint and was pretty
careful to make sure it was good because I knew it would be difficult
to access if anything was wrong.

While poking around there a little while ago I found the brickwork
*above* the drip is damp so I fear I have a leaky roof in some shape
or form, e.g. flashing or window not perfectly watertight. The rain
we had recently was the first for a while so might be just showing up
some shrinking/cracking seals somewhere.

--
Chris Green
·