Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Agricultural plumbing problem

There's a small bit of land behind the house which has in the past had
horse/sheep in it and hence a galvanised drinking trough with a water
supply. The supply comes through black plastic pipe underground and I
don't know where from but I am pretty sure it isn't from my house. Must
be my neighbour but they don't know of any stop cock or anything. There
was a valve with a metal ball on an arm like an old toilet but it was
only filling very slowly. Now the arm has been broken off by some cattle
that got in and the thing is constantly, if slowly overflowing.

I want to keep the trough available for livestock. I have no way of
turning off the water. I don't know if the water is full mains pressure
or if the slow flow is all we will ever get. I don't know if the
existing valve is blocked or not or if it's fixable. I can go to mole
valley or somewhere and buy a new ball valve or similar no problem, but
lets say I cut the pipe with a hand saw and water gushes out. Will I be
able to fit the new valve with water flowing? What sort of fitting is
needed for black plastic pipe? I had an idea that I could cut the pipe
and maybe fit a stop cock with the stop cock open and the water flowing
through, then turn it off, then deal with the trough valve. would that work?

the old valve looks something like this:
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf...t-valve-3-long

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 22:11:14 +0100, TimW wrote:

but lets say I cut the pipe with a hand saw and water gushes out. Will I
be able to fit the new valve with water flowing?

Yes, but you'll get wet, probably very wet.

What sort of fitting is needed for black plastic pipe?

Depends on the OD of the pipe. Ordinary compression will work (on the
right sized pipe) but you really need to put a metal sleeve inside
the pipe as well. There are also various other connectors for plastic
to copper connections.

I had an idea that I could cut the pipe and maybe fit a stop cock with
the stop cock open and the water flowing through, then turn it off, then
deal with the trough valve. would that work?

Yes, but you'll get wet, probably very wet. With the valve open you
have water coming out of it, proably quite a lot of water. I'd have
the valve closed, then when you shove it on the end of the pipe you
have a much lower flow rate,

I'd use a "squeeze off" tool to compress the pipe to stop or very
much reduce the flow before cutting the pipe.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 22:11, TimW wrote:
[...]

Something like:

https://www.bes.co.uk/25-mm-floplast...c-below-ground

(depending on size obviously)

I had an idea that I could cut the pipe
and maybe fit a stop cock with the stop cock open and the water flowing
through, then turn it off, then deal with the trough valve. would that
work?

Yup, with no back pressure from the valve, you should have no difficulty
getting in on and fixed - even if you do get a bit wet at times!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW Wrote in message:
[...]

Yes I'd reckon so, though prepare to get wet!

Maybe use a pipe freezer?

Or wait & see if the pipe freezes in winter?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW Wrote in message:
[...]

Which part have the cattle broke off & where?
E.g. Is there any "stub" of the float arm to which you could
lash/cable tie something else to, to work as a replacement
float?

Or is it all mangled?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW Wrote in message:
What sort of fitting is
needed for black plastic pipe? I had an idea that I could cut the pipe
and maybe fit a stop cock with the stop cock open and the water flowing
through, then turn it off, then deal with the trough valve. would that work?

As long as you get a full bore valve it shouldn't be a problem.
I've done it indoors without making an enormous mess. It's
helpful to fix a bit of hosepipe or similar to the downstream
side of your new valve temporarily to direct the flow of water
well away from you whilst you're tightening the fittings

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
TimW Wrote in message:
[...]

Or use a bit of relatively soft metal tube to make the arm
good again with the two ends inside it and crimped up.

Or is it all mangled?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't disturb the pipe - if the valve is the same then just change the
valve body.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 22:11, TimW wrote:

existing valve is blocked or not or if it's fixable. I can go to mole
valley or somewhere and buy a new ball valve or similar no problem, but
lets say I cut the pipe with a hand saw and water gushes out.

You should turn off your own water and see if that stops it, then turn
off the neighbour's. You need to know where the supply comes from.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One can usually tell by the size of hole if its high or low pressure, the
ones with the small hole are high pressure. I think I'd be very worried
about just where the water is actually coming from. After all it could be
anything and if nobody knows where it goes it might not be that clean or
may get dug up by somebody doing work. Surely there has to be records of
these things?
I suppose if everyone around turned off their water and then turned them on
one at a time at least you would know whos it was.

I'd have thought though that a bodged repair to the valve would at least
give you breathing space till you can work out what is actually going on.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andew Jones" wrote in message

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
TimW Wrote in message:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 22:11:17 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
[...]

If you also get a gate valve, these can be fitted with the water running full bore with the valve fully open.
A very wet business best done in warm weather.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 22:11:17 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
There's a small bit of land behind the house which has in the past had
horse/sheep in it and hence a galvanised drinking trough with a water
supply. The supply comes through black plastic pipe underground and I
don't know where from but I am pretty sure it isn't from my house. Must
be my neighbour but they don't know of any stop cock or anything.

It may come from the water main with a separate connection. It may not even be an official connection.

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/_asse...g_2017_WEB.pdf

for water regulations guidance

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn Wrote in message:

Don't disturb the pipe - if the valve is the same then just change the
valve body.

I thought the problem was that there was no isolation valve.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 22:11, TimW wrote:

I want to keep the trough available for livestock. I have no way of
turning off the water. I don't know if the water is full mains pressure
or if the slow flow is all we will ever get. I don't know if the
existing valve is blocked or not or if it's fixable. I can go to mole
valley or somewhere and buy a new ball valve or similar no problem, but
lets say I cut the pipe with a hand saw and water gushes out. Will I be
able to fit the new valve with water flowing? What sort of fitting is
needed for black plastic pipe? I had an idea that I could cut the pipe
and maybe fit a stop cock with the stop cock open and the water flowing
through, then turn it off, then deal with the trough valve. would that
work?

That's what a farmer would do. As others have said, you will get wet.
Pipe freezers are for wimps, but that should work too and may be easier
especially if you are not familiar with the fittings. You don't want to
lose one of the bits once the water is flowing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/18 07:14, Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

Maybe I've misunderstood something, but can't you just get a new arm,
like this https://tinyurl.com/yck2j8zc

Yes! The thing being that the flow was so slow that I really wanted to
replace the valve, so it is all working properly.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/18 09:59, newshound wrote:
On 10/10/2018 22:11, TimW wrote:

[...]

My experience of plumbing is that you _never_ have the right bits. At
least it's in a field, I can leave it gushing out and take an hour to go
and find the right bits without doing a lot of damage.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , TimW
scribeth thus
[...]

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf...pressure-part-
1-float-valve-3-long

TW

Use a pipe freezing kit that stops the flow while you work on the
pipe!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 22:11, TimW wrote:
[...]

If it were me I would fit a stopcock.
The pipe is probably black alkathene, measure its size and buy an
appropriate MDPE underground stopcock and (if needed) adapters for the
alkathene.
Cut the pipe with a plastic pipe cutter (they're cheap and give a very
quick and clean cut that does not leave burrs) rather than a hacksaw.
Make sure the stopcock is "open" when you fit it.
It should take 20-30 seconds to fit the stopcock on the supply pipe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote in :

DerbyBorn Wrote in message:

Don't disturb the pipe - if the valve is the same then just change the
valve body.

I thought the problem was that there was no isolation valve.

Tim

If the pressure is low then I would change it without isolating it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do not disturb the connection to the pipe - remove the valve from the stem.
Expect the nozzle to flush out. But you will have a new one.

Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the main plumbing vent to the outside. johnnymo Home Repair 29 December 9th 18 02:08 AM
Question on plumbing average cost- location New England...For newtoilet and change pedestal plumbing KOS Home Repair 17 March 26th 10 10:37 PM
AGRICULTURAL NEWS shanthi Home Repair 0 April 21st 08 04:21 PM
The father at all the agricultural rehearsal is the week that concerns allegedly. W. A. Musshorn Electronics Repair 0 December 10th 07 12:48 AM
Plumbing Problem Dorot29701 Home Repair 8 December 29th 04 04:32 PM