Dorot29701

Default Plumbing Problem

When my new washer was hooked up, the faucet sprang a small leak, where the
stem goes in. My husband bought a new faucet for it but now we cannot get the
old one out...it's been in there a long time. We tried heating it with a
blowtorch but it won't move. What do plumbers do? We are afraid to force it -
afraid of breaking the pipe or making it worse. Way it is now, we can turn off
water between washer use - but would really like new faucet. Thanks.

Dorothy
Joseph Meehan

Dorot29701 wrote:
When my new washer was hooked up, the faucet sprang a small leak,
where the stem goes in. My husband bought a new faucet for it but
now we cannot get the old one out...it's been in there a long time.
We tried heating it with a blowtorch but it won't move. What do
plumbers do? We are afraid to force it - afraid of breaking the pipe
or making it worse. Way it is now, we can turn off water between
washer use - but would really like new faucet. Thanks.

Dorothy

A lot of information missing here. Is it iron pipe or copper? Is it
buried in a wall or other inaccessible location or out in the open where you
can get to it.

Frankly most plumbers will just pick up a larger wrench and if something
breaks, it gets replaced. 90% of the time, that is going to be the final
answer anyway.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

willshak

On 12/28/2004 2:07 PM US(ET), Dorot29701 took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

When my new washer was hooked up, the faucet sprang a small leak, where the
stem goes in. My husband bought a new faucet for it but now we cannot get the
old one out...it's been in there a long time. We tried heating it with a
blowtorch but it won't move. What do plumbers do? We are afraid to force it -
afraid of breaking the pipe or making it worse. Way it is now, we can turn off
water between washer use - but would really like new faucet. Thanks.

Dorothy

A Faucet? Perhaps you mean a supply valve?
First, you have to shut off the main water valve.
Secondly, you have to drain the pipe to the supply valve. Any water
remaining in the pipe near the valve acts like an insulator, preventing
the joint from getting hot enough to unsweat the solder.
After shutting off the main, you can remove the hose to the washer and
allow the pipe to drain into a pail, or a couple of pails. You will have
to open a faucet in a sink/shower/tub above the washer valve, to break
the vacuum before the water will drain from the washer valve.
Once that is done, you can pull the valve apart to replace the washers
in the valve, or unsweat the valve's pipe joints to replace the whole valve.
A blowtorch cannot supply enough heat to unsweat a soldered joint, you
need a propane or mapp torch.
If all of the above does not make sense to you, or to your hubby, call a
plumber.

--
Bill
frank-in-toronto

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:25:26 -0500, willshak
wrote:

On 12/28/2004 2:07 PM US(ET), Dorot29701 took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

When my new washer was hooked up, the faucet sprang a small leak, where the
stem goes in. My husband bought a new faucet for it but now we cannot get the
old one out...it's been in there a long time. We tried heating it with a
blowtorch but it won't move. What do plumbers do? We are afraid to force it -
afraid of breaking the pipe or making it worse. Way it is now, we can turn off
water between washer use - but would really like new faucet. Thanks.

Dorothy

A Faucet? Perhaps you mean a supply valve?
First, you have to shut off the main water valve.
Secondly, you have to drain the pipe to the supply valve. Any water
remaining in the pipe near the valve acts like an insulator,

i hope you understand that it acts as a conductor.
....thehick

Dorot29701

I will try again. There is a square cut-out on the wall behind my washing
machine. It has a hot water pipe (standing upright), then a drain pipe, then
another pipe standing upright (cold water) and on top of each of these pipes is
a faucet type gadget. The faucet is screwed onto the incoming water pipe (not
sautered) and there is also a place on the body of the faucet, to screw in the
hose from the washing machine.

These may be called supply valves. I don't know. What I do know is that the
cold water valve is leaking a little and we would like to take it off and put
on a new one.

The old one is on too tight. It was not sautered on - it has just been on
there for a long time....

If anyone has any helpful suggestions we would be grateful. Really do not want
to have to pay a plumber to come out and do this.
Joseph Meehan

Dorot29701 wrote:
I will try again. There is a square cut-out on the wall behind my
washing machine. It has a hot water pipe (standing upright), then a
drain pipe, then another pipe standing upright (cold water) and on
top of each of these pipes is a faucet type gadget. The faucet is
screwed onto the incoming water pipe (not sautered) and there is also
a place on the body of the faucet, to screw in the hose from the
washing machine.

These may be called supply valves. I don't know. What I do know is
that the cold water valve is leaking a little and we would like to
take it off and put on a new one.

The old one is on too tight. It was not sautered on - it has just
been on there for a long time....

If anyone has any helpful suggestions we would be grateful. Really
do not want to have to pay a plumber to come out and do this.

Normally it will be a lot easier to fix the leak in the valve, than to
replace the valve. It sounds like it is a packing going bad. Does it leak
around the part under the knob that turns it on and off? If so it likely
only need the packing replaced.

I know you said that the packing nut also could not be removed, but
frankly I have never seen one that was frozen on, although I suspect they
happen. Be sure to turn off the water supply before doing any of this. You
may want to get a DIY book from the library or better buy one at the local
DIY center. The books are not expensive and offer pictures to make the job
a lot easier to understand.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Roger Shoaf

"Dorot29701" wrote in message
I will try again. There is a square cut-out on the wall behind my washing
machine. It has a hot water pipe (standing upright), then a drain pipe,

then
another pipe standing upright (cold water) and on top of each of these

pipes is
a faucet type gadget. The faucet is screwed onto the incoming water pipe

(not
sautered) and there is also a place on the body of the faucet, to screw in

the
hose from the washing machine.

OK so far so good. The valve will unscrew from the pipe. Is the pipe a
silver color or is it copper? If it is sliver colored you have galvanized
pipe and you need to put a pipe wrench on the pipe and an open end wrench on
the valve. It will unscrew you just need to get the right tools.

If you have copper pipe, then the pipe could be soldered to a threaded
fitting. If this is the case one wrench goes on the hexagional part of the
fitting and the other wrench goes on the valve. The idea here is to put all
of the pressure on the wrench on the end of the pipe and not twist the pipe
itself.

Another thing you might have is a compressuon fitting. This has a threaded
collor that threads on to the back of the valve. Here the idea is to hold
the valve still and turn the coller.

Your husband might look at the valve carefully nd then go to the hardware
store to see exactly hor the thing works first.

Good luck,

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

These may be called supply valves. I don't know. What I do know is that

the
cold water valve is leaking a little and we would like to take it off and

put
on a new one.

The old one is on too tight. It was not sautered on - it has just been on
there for a long time....

If anyone has any helpful suggestions we would be grateful. Really do not

want
to have to pay a plumber to come out and do this.

HerHusband

I will try again. There is a square cut-out on the wall behind my
washing machine. It has a hot water pipe (standing upright), then a
drain pipe, then another pipe standing upright (cold water) and on top
of each of these pipes is a faucet type gadget. The faucet is screwed
onto the incoming water pipe (not sautered) and there is also a place
on the body of the faucet, to screw in the hose from the washing
machine.

First, as another poster mentioned, shut off the house water before
attempting to replace the valve!

I'm assuming the valves are separate? Most of the valves I see are combined
into one unit with a single handle that shuts off both the hot and cold.
Obviously, you would not be able unscrew those without cutting the pipes.

If the valves are separate, you "may" be able to unthread them from the
pipe if you are POSITIVE they are not soldered to the pipe. Try some thread
penetrating fluid (WD-40 if you can't find anything else) and give it time
to work. You'll need two wrench's, one to keep the pipe from turning, and
one to turn the valve. Make sure not to twist the pipe as you are trying to
unscrew the valve.

If you are able to get the valve off, be sure to put a few wraps of teflon
thread sealing tape on the male fitting before threading the new valve on.
Otherwise you may get leaks around the valve.

Depending on the type of piping you have, it may be easier to just cut the
pipes and replumb with new pipe and fittings. You may need to hire a
plumber for this if you do not have experience doing this.

If you have old galvanized steel pipes and low flow out of the valve, you
may get the valves off only to discover the pipes are corroded and clogged
inside. This could quickly turn into a larger job. I recently had to
replace about 20 feet of pipe in my in-laws house because of this. The
pipes had corroded shut and there was no hot water at the bathtub. I
replaced it with CPVC plastic piping to prevent future corrosion.

Anthony

Plumbing problem Dude Home Repair 2 December 4th 04 11:46 PM
Widespread problem with HP Omnibook XE3-GFs? Joe Electronics Repair 1 November 21st 04 05:32 AM