Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Woodworm treatment

Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop
timbers. I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but
not window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?
Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike Wrote in message:
Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop
timbers. I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but
not window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?
Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Mike

The sheds sell treatments for you to dip/ brush/ spray. Proper
mask, safety visor, gloves etc, follow destructions, job
done.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 13:12, Muddymike wrote:
Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop timbers.

Active woodworm with little pipes odf wood dust at the holes or just
holes woodworm in the past?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 13:12, Muddymike wrote:
Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop timbers.
I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but not
window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?
Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Got a few floor joists above my head in our victorian shop that were
affected. Chipped out the soft/powdered wood and liberally soaked
everything in Wickes' finest WW treatment.
Not had any issues since.

Also have occasional outbreaks in out 18th C. listed "project" cottage
in Brixham in the timbers above windows amongst other places.
At the time we had an insulin dependent dog and I found injecting WW
treatment into the exit/flight holes got the stuff right into the
critical areas that surface brushing would never reach.

Re-apply each year to areas that have evidence of the current years
woodworm activity should keep things in check. Don't recall seeing any
fresh activity in previously treated timber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" Wrote
in message:
[...]

Whats the diabetic dog connection? :-)
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 14:33, Jim K wrote:
"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" Wrote

Whats the diabetic dog connection? :-)

a supply of 14 redundant insulin syringes and needles every week, hence
the discovery that they're perfect for injecting woodworm killer into
the holes although high VOC woodworm treatment means each syringe
doesn't last very long before it seizes up.
Insulin syringes with needles are readily available on-line for not too
much but there might be something made specifically for the job that can
cope better with chemicals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 13:39, Jim K wrote:
Muddymike Wrote in message:
Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop
timbers. I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but
not window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?
Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Surprisingly long. Our loft was done before we moved in and the wooden
surfaces are still lethal to flying insects nearly 25 years later.

The sheds sell treatments for you to dip/ brush/ spray. Proper
mask, safety visor, gloves etc, follow destructions, job
done.

There is more than one formulation about. ISTR The water based one is
synthetic pyrrethroid and seems to work well as a spray - which is good
for getting into awkward corners. It smells a bit.

The other is solvent based, smells terrible and flammable so I wouldn't
fancy spraying it, but it is OK when used with a brush. I think it is
also capable of killing stopping various rots as well as woodworm.

The most effective chemicals are only really available to commercial
operators with the right PPE including a full face respirator. That is
what our loft was done with stuff by Protim (if they are still going).

ISTR they got the apprentice to go in there and do it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 October 2018 13:12:42 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:

Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop
timbers. I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but
not window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?
Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Mike

is this active or historic worm? In the latter case it should not be treated - and most is historic worm.

Victorian houses were (either sometimes or always) built partly with green timber, which was wet & thus vulnerable to insects for the first couple of years.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 13:39, Jim K wrote:
Muddymike Wrote in message:
Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop
timbers. I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but
not window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?
Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Mike

The sheds sell treatments for you to dip/ brush/ spray. Proper
mask, safety visor, gloves etc, follow destructions, job
done.

I know they sell it but is it any good?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 14:02, alan_m wrote:
On 04/10/2018 13:12, Muddymike wrote:
Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop timbers.

Active woodworm with little pipes odf wood dust at the holes or just
holes woodworm in the past?

Active in some widow frames and other less critical timbers but
seemingly inactive in the main roof timbers. However its not that easy
to tell.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 13:12:41 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop
timbers. I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but
not window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?
Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Have a look at boron-based woodworm treatments.

Water-soluble, so won't penetrate paint/varnish, and washes off outdoors.
Effective against rot as well. Life expectancy is indefinite, as it's a salt. It
also won't evaporate or outgas.

Apply with brush, syringe, sprayer, ...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/18 13:12, Muddymike wrote:
Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop timbers.
I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but not
window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?

Affected.

Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Mike

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 16:02, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 13:12:41 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop
timbers. I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but
not window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?
Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Have a look at boron-based woodworm treatments.

Water-soluble, so won't penetrate paint/varnish, and washes off outdoors.
Effective against rot as well. Life expectancy is indefinite, as it's a salt. It
also won't evaporate or outgas.

Apply with brush, syringe, sprayer, ...

Thomas Prufer

Thanks, I've just ordered 5 litres.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike Wrote in message:
On 04/10/2018 16:02, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 13:12:41 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop
timbers. I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but
not window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?
Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Have a look at boron-based woodworm treatments.

Water-soluble, so won't penetrate paint/varnish, and washes off outdoors.
Effective against rot as well. Life expectancy is indefinite, as it's a salt. It
also won't evaporate or outgas.

Apply with brush, syringe, sprayer, ...

Thomas Prufer

Thanks, I've just ordered 5 litres.

Mike

Of what from where plse?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Muddymike writes
On 04/10/2018 14:02, alan_m wrote:
On 04/10/2018 13:12, Muddymike wrote:
Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop
timbers.

Active woodworm with little pipes odf wood dust at the holes or just
holes woodworm in the past?

Active in some widow frames and other less critical timbers but
seemingly inactive in the main roof timbers. However its not that easy
to tell.

Mike

My house has had a bit of woodworm (mainly historic). I treated one or
two spots that were possibly current with Rentokil woodworm treatment.

If I understand things correctly, woodworm are flying insects, so I
reckoned that if you can intercept them with a slow-release fly-killer
(see later) on their way in, they won't get a chance to stick their
ovipositors into your woodwork to lay their eggs - so you won't get the
grubs that tunnel their way out, leaving the tell-tale holes.

My house also seems to be a highly-desirable residence for wasps, so
every spring and early summer I have to take steps to deter them from
making a wasp-line for my loft, garage or garden sheds. I used to
install a few of those Vapona fly killer things (with adjustable
shutters so you could control the vapour release rate) - but apparently
the EU decided that as well as flies and wasps, they could kill people
too. These days I have to improvise by spraying an aerosol into an
opened-out newspaper, then folding the newspaper up to slow down the
rate that the fumes leak out. Although I've been targeting wasps (who
usually fly a mile if they only smell fly/waspkiller), neither have I
seen any sign of new woodworm holes.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson Wrote in message:
In message ,
Muddymike writes
[...]

Woodworm are beetle larvae aren't they?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 15:21, Muddymike wrote:
On 04/10/2018 13:39, Jim K wrote:
Muddymike Wrote in message:
Sadly I've discovered signs of woodworm in some of the workshop
timbers. I'm told the main roof timbers were treated a few years ago but
not window frames and other less important woodwork.
Do any of you have experience in treating against woodworm in already
effected timber?
Which chemical is most effective?
Life expectancy of the treatment?

Mike

The sheds sell treatments for you to dip/ brush/ spray. Proper
Â* mask, safety visor, gloves etc, follow destructions, job
Â* done.

I know they sell it but is it any good?

Mike

Barratine still sell solvent-base woodworm killer, but I suspect
the sheds will only sell water-based rubbish now.

I replaced some woodwormy joists when doing my garage roof recently.

These were 1976 era and really heavy hard imperial sized 8x2's.

I used my cicular saw to cut through the badly affected bits and
couldn't see much internal damage at all.

Some people nail lathes of cedar wood or other timber that
the flies like the smell of, over the normal timbers and the
eggs are laid on those.

Remove them in NOvember/December and burn them, then replace
with fresh lathes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2018 16:02, Thomas Prufer wrote:
Apply with brush, syringe, sprayer, ...

If its water-based and you are treating something above
shoulder level, then expect copious amounts to run
down your hand,wrist,arm, ...

The EU didn't think VOC2010 through carefully enough,
part of the problem with the way they 'legislate'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2018 13:15, Jim K wrote:
Muddymike Wrote in message:
[...]

I've ordered this via Amazon with free delivery.
N-Virobor 10 Boron Wood Preservative 5Ltrs
Boron Timber Treatment for Woodworm, Dry & Wet Rot
£25.00 by Seahaven Ltd
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K
writes
[...]

But they are beetles that do fly at times.
https://www.wisepropertycare.com/ser...-woodworm/ques
tions/#q8
and some of the fly/wasp killer sprays say "Kills all flying insects".
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 15:53:02 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

If its water-based and you are treating something above
shoulder level, then expect copious amounts to run
down your hand,wrist,arm, ...

Common garden sprayer and you are fine.

The EU didn't think VOC2010 through carefully enough,
part of the problem with the way they 'legislate'.

Borate-based treatments are water-soluble salts -- nothing to do with the EU.

Borates are nice because they stay put. A lot of the organic toxins evaporate
slowly, and some later turned out to have unpleasant side effects on humans.

Thomas Prufer