Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pressure treated ply ?? or woodworm treatment

Recently had to get the underside of the ground floor fogged by Rentokil
because of woodworm.

Need to replace part of a joist and replace the knackered chipboard
kitchen floor with ply.

I know pressure treated 4x2 is easy enough to obtain.

Is pressure treated 18mm approx ply widely available does anyone know?
If not what is best to brush on to exterior ply? - about 9 sq metres
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 1 Feb, 16:49, Invisible Man wrote:
Recently had to get the underside of the ground floor fogged by Rentokil
because of woodworm.

Need to replace part of a joist and replace the knackered chipboard
kitchen floor with ply.

I know pressure treated 4x2 is easy enough to obtain.

Is pressure treated 18mm approx ply widely available does anyone know?
If not what is best to brush on to exterior ply? - about 9 sq metres

don't know if woodworm would go for ply? did they go for chipboard or
was it rentokil who dug it all up to spray their nerve toxins?
If you want belt and braces - just get a 5litre can of wood preserver
and slap/pour it on - pref outside (brrrr! - I know)
Presume you'll just treat what will be the underside?

jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
On 1 Feb, 16:49, Invisible Man wrote:
Recently had to get the underside of the ground floor fogged by Rentokil
because of woodworm.

Need to replace part of a joist and replace the knackered chipboard
kitchen floor with ply.

I know pressure treated 4x2 is easy enough to obtain.

Is pressure treated 18mm approx ply widely available does anyone know?
If not what is best to brush on to exterior ply? - about 9 sq metres

don't know if woodworm would go for ply? did they go for chipboard or
was it rentokil who dug it all up to spray their nerve toxins?
If you want belt and braces - just get a 5litre can of wood preserver
and slap/pour it on - pref outside (brrrr! - I know)
Presume you'll just treat what will be the underside?

jim

The joists had plenty of holes and at least one bit will need replacing.
Haven't got most of the chipboard up yet because it extends under
kitchen units. The chipboard I have seen looks ok.

Rentokli reckoned the infestation was still live and since the kitchen
needs replacing from floor to ceiling inclusive we thought it best to
get under the floor treated rather than risk having to replace the
kitchen again at a later date.

Googling suggests common furniture beetle do not like chipboard but do
like plywood. We want the floor tiled and granite worktops and are told
that chipboard is not the way to go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 16:49:24 +0000, Invisible Man wrote:

Recently had to get the underside of the ground floor fogged by Rentokil
because of woodworm.

Need to replace part of a joist and replace the knackered chipboard
kitchen floor with ply.

I know pressure treated 4x2 is easy enough to obtain.

Is pressure treated 18mm approx ply widely available does anyone know?
If not what is best to brush on to exterior ply? - about 9 sq metres

Wickes stuff - 'ang on a mo - 'ere 'tis

http://www.wickes.co.uk/All-Purpose/...nt/invt/600603
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 16:49:24 +0000, Invisible Man wrote:

Recently had to get the underside of the ground floor fogged by Rentokil
because of woodworm.

Need to replace part of a joist and replace the knackered chipboard
kitchen floor with ply.

I know pressure treated 4x2 is easy enough to obtain.

Is pressure treated 18mm approx ply widely available does anyone know?
If not what is best to brush on to exterior ply? - about 9 sq metres

Wickes stuff - 'ang on a mo - 'ere 'tis

http://www.wickes.co.uk/All-Purpose/...nt/invt/600603

Thanks Peter

I had found some Rentokil and some Cuprinol but not the Wickes ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 23:41:52 +0000, Invisible Man wrote:

PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 16:49:24 +0000, Invisible Man wrote:

Recently had to get the underside of the ground floor fogged by Rentokil
because of woodworm.

Need to replace part of a joist and replace the knackered chipboard
kitchen floor with ply.

I know pressure treated 4x2 is easy enough to obtain.

Is pressure treated 18mm approx ply widely available does anyone know?
If not what is best to brush on to exterior ply? - about 9 sq metres

Wickes stuff - 'ang on a mo - 'ere 'tis

http://www.wickes.co.uk/All-Purpose/...nt/invt/600603

Thanks Peter

I had found some Rentokil and some Cuprinol but not the Wickes ones.

I used it on the inaccessible parts of me arj shed (all built of WPB, sawn,
treated timber and SS fastners anyway) then Wickes' Shed and Fence
Preserver on the rest

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wood-Preserv...er/invt/170468
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 1 Feb, 20:33, Invisible Man wrote:
jim wrote:
[...]

cynics would suggest "they would wouldn't they" - otherwise there'd be
no point them spraying the toxins and charging you handsomely for the
proviledge..... ;)

Googling suggests common furniture beetle do not like chipboard but do
like plywood. We want the floor tiled and granite worktops and are told
that chipboard is not the way to go.

yeah - some nice 18mm ply treated with wood preserver would be the way
I'd go for tiles.

cheers
jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip ....

Rentokli reckoned the infestation was still live

cynics would suggest "they would wouldn't they" - otherwise there'd be
no point them spraying the toxins and charging you handsomely for the
proviledge..... ;)

Yes I had my doubts but the floor and the kitchen couldn't wait a few
years for me to be able to be sure the infestation was no longer active.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 2 Feb, 15:43, Invisible Man wrote:
snip ....

Rentokli reckoned the infestation was still live

cynics would suggest "they would wouldn't they" - otherwise there'd be
no point them spraying the toxins and charging you handsomely for the
proviledge..... ;)

Yes I had my doubts but the floor and the kitchen couldn't wait a few
years for me to be able to be sure the infestation was no longer active.

er....a few years?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
On 2 Feb, 15:43, Invisible Man wrote:
snip ....

Rentokli reckoned the infestation was still live
cynics would suggest "they would wouldn't they" - otherwise there'd be
no point them spraying the toxins and charging you handsomely for the
proviledge..... ;)

Yes I had my doubts but the floor and the kitchen couldn't wait a few
years for me to be able to be sure the infestation was no longer active.

er....a few years?

Yes. They can take quite a few years to emerge from the wood. I believe
3 is average but it can be a lot more.