Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure washing wood deck? BAD IDEA? pressure treated.

I head conflicting advise on maintaining my deck. Some say you
damage the deck by pressure washing it. Does pressure washing it
remove the pressure treated chemical out of the wood? Also, If you do
wash it is detergent required? Our deck is in good shape except in a
few shaddy spots, it has mildew. I was going to pressure wash it
then seal it. should I not pressure was the fence if I don't plan to
seal the fence? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 12:59*pm, lbbss wrote:
I head conflicting advise on maintaining my deck. * Some say you
damage the deck by pressure washing it. * Does pressure washing it
remove the pressure treated chemical out of the wood? *Also, If you do
wash it is detergent required? * Our deck is in good shape except in a
few shaddy spots, it has mildew. * *I was going to pressure wash it
then seal it. * should I not pressure was the fence if I don't plan to
seal the fence? * *Thanks.

Wood treatment like CCA is in the wood from pressured treatment, when
you buy it new its wet through with treatment. Kill mold with bleach
then wash it. Oxcilic acid also cleans it well. Stain absorbes more
and lasts longer on clean wood. Read sealer ratings at Consumer
Reports online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:

I head conflicting advise on maintaining my deck. Some say you
damage the deck by pressure washing it.

The damage comes from holding the wand too close to the wood or moving
it too slowly, which removes some of the wood.

Does pressure washing it
remove the pressure treated chemical out of the wood?

No. The chemicals soak into the wood because of the "pressure" part of
pressure-treated. In really large pieces, like 8x8, it might not make
it all the way to the center.

Also, If you do
wash it is detergent required?

I recommend a detergent designed for wood decks, but it isn't a
government mandate or anything. _Do not_ use dish detergent unless you
want bubbles everywhere.

Our deck is in good shape except in a
few shaddy spots, it has mildew.

A little dilute bleach and a scrub brush should take care of that. The
people who sell you the deck wash can also sell you a "deck brightener"
which has some form of bleach in it. It will get rid of *some* of the
grey oxidation. You'll have trouble getting back to the original color
of the wood without taking off part of the wood surface.

I was going to pressure wash it
then seal it.

The sealer is optional, especially since you have pressure-treated
wood. PT wood is usually colored, so most people let it oxidize to
grey, not liking a green deck.

should I not pressure was the fence if I don't plan to
seal the fence?

You can certainly pressure-wash the fence, but it will be a big, wet
job. Most of the grey will go away, but it will be back again in a year.

Thanks.

You're welcome. Post some pictures.

p.s. I learned to power-wash decks by practicing on my own. I found I
liked the "rugged" look I got with aggressive power-washing. A smooth
surface might be more important to you.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:59:49 -0700 (PDT), lbbss
wrote:

I head conflicting advise on maintaining my deck. Some say you
damage the deck by pressure washing it. Does pressure washing it
remove the pressure treated chemical out of the wood? Also, If you do
wash it is detergent required? Our deck is in good shape except in a
few shaddy spots, it has mildew. I was going to pressure wash it
then seal it. should I not pressure was the fence if I don't plan to
seal the fence? Thanks.

You can damage wood with a high-pressure washer. Pressure washing,
washing by hand or rain removes some of the preservative in the wood.
The typical solution to wash a deck is

3/4 cup TSP
1 cup household bleach
1 gallon warm water

Dissolve the TSP in a half gallon of warm water. Stir for two full
minutes as TSP dissolves slowly. Add bleach. Add water to make 1
gallon in a garden sprayer. You can use a deck wash (JoMax) instead
of the TSP. The bleach will kill algae and mildew. Lightly spray
and brush a 3x3 foot area at a time and rinse with a garden hose after
5 minutes. TSP is a very strong detergent not good for your
skin/eyes--wear old clothing and eye protection. Make sure the wood
is well-rinsed and completely dry before applying a sealant.