Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure washing wood deck? BAD IDEA? pressure treated.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:59:49 -0700 (PDT), lbbss
wrote:

I head conflicting advise on maintaining my deck. Some say you
damage the deck by pressure washing it. Does pressure washing it
remove the pressure treated chemical out of the wood? Also, If you do
wash it is detergent required? Our deck is in good shape except in a
few shaddy spots, it has mildew. I was going to pressure wash it
then seal it. should I not pressure was the fence if I don't plan to
seal the fence? Thanks.

You can damage wood with a high-pressure washer. Pressure washing,
washing by hand or rain removes some of the preservative in the wood.
The typical solution to wash a deck is

3/4 cup TSP
1 cup household bleach
1 gallon warm water

Dissolve the TSP in a half gallon of warm water. Stir for two full
minutes as TSP dissolves slowly. Add bleach. Add water to make 1
gallon in a garden sprayer. You can use a deck wash (JoMax) instead
of the TSP. The bleach will kill algae and mildew. Lightly spray
and brush a 3x3 foot area at a time and rinse with a garden hose after
5 minutes. TSP is a very strong detergent not good for your
skin/eyes--wear old clothing and eye protection. Make sure the wood
is well-rinsed and completely dry before applying a sealant.