Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete fixing screws.

Hi
I bought some "Thunderbolt" M8 Torx concrete fixing screws.
These are to upgrade from plastic plugs. I am hoping to get a
considerable increase in strength of fixing.

What do I use to fit them. Currently I have nothing to do a trial on,
but the suggestion that an impact driver is needed seems a little odd.
I would have assumed that the impact would just shear the newly cut
concrete thread.

Is a normal screwdriver practical, I notice Lidl have a pneumatic
impact driver on sale currently, would it be worth getting one?

Regards

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/09/2018 23:06, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
Hi
I bought some "Thunderbolt" M8 Torx concrete fixing screws.
These are to upgrade from plastic plugs. I am hoping to get a
considerable increase in strength of fixing.

What do I use to fit them. Currently I have nothing to do a trial on,
but the suggestion that an impact driver is needed seems a little odd.
I would have assumed that the impact would just shear the newly cut
concrete thread.

Is a normal screwdriver practical, I notice Lidl have a pneumatic
impact driver on sale currently, would it be worth getting one?

Regards

AB

I have done them up with a socket set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 23:12:33 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 30/09/2018 23:06, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
Hi
I bought some "Thunderbolt" M8 Torx concrete fixing screws.
These are to upgrade from plastic plugs. I am hoping to get a
considerable increase in strength of fixing.

What do I use to fit them. Currently I have nothing to do a trial on,
but the suggestion that an impact driver is needed seems a little odd.
I would have assumed that the impact would just shear the newly cut
concrete thread.

Is a normal screwdriver practical, I notice Lidl have a pneumatic
impact driver on sale currently, would it be worth getting one?

Regards

AB

I have done them up with a socket set.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

I bought a lot of the Torx bits, so I have a few spares if I chew them
up.

Regards

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2018 23:12, GB wrote:
On 30/09/2018 23:06, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
Hi
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I bought some "Thunderbolt"Â* M8 Torx concrete fixing screws.
These are to upgrade from plastic plugs. I am hoping to get a
considerable increase in strength of fixing.

What do I use to fit them. Currently I have nothing to do a trial on,
but the suggestion that an impact driver is needed seems a little odd.
I would have assumed that the impact would just shear the newly cut
concrete thread.

Is a normal screwdriver practical, I notice Lidl have a pneumatic
impact driver on sale currently, would it be worth getting one?

Regards

AB

I have done them up with a socket set.

+1 (I have a 1/4 drive set which is usually ideal)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2018 10:42, newshound wrote:
On 30/09/2018 23:12, GB wrote:
On 30/09/2018 23:06, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
Hi
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I bought some "Thunderbolt"Â* M8 Torx concrete fixing screws.
These are to upgrade from plastic plugs. I am hoping to get a
considerable increase in strength of fixing.

What do I use to fit them. Currently I have nothing to do a trial on,
but the suggestion that an impact driver is needed seems a little odd.
I would have assumed that the impact would just shear the newly cut
concrete thread.

Is a normal screwdriver practical, I notice Lidl have a pneumatic
impact driver on sale currently, would it be worth getting one?

Regards

AB

I have done them up with a socket set.

+1 (I have a 1/4 drive set which is usually ideal)

plus another one. I used concrete bolts for the first time recently -
very impressed. I used a 3/8 socket set though because quite a lot of
torque is needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have driven 8mm Torx concrete screws in with an impact driver no problems.. An impact driver works differently than a hammer drill, the impacts are in the direction of rotation. Larger bolts I have used a 1/2" socket set. You do need to clear as much dust out of the hole as it can make driving the bolts in hard.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 23:06:39 +0100, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
wrote:

Hi
I bought some "Thunderbolt" M8 Torx concrete fixing screws.
These are to upgrade from plastic plugs. I am hoping to get a
considerable increase in strength of fixing.

What do I use to fit them. Currently I have nothing to do a trial on,
but the suggestion that an impact driver is needed seems a little odd.
I would have assumed that the impact would just shear the newly cut
concrete thread.

Is a normal screwdriver practical, I notice Lidl have a pneumatic impact
driver on sale currently, would it be worth getting one?

IIRC I used an electric drill/driver to drive the screws into the
concrete, then finished them off with a socket set.

This was before I had my Makita impact driver, which should be ideal for
the job. Impact screwdrivers are a goodly thing. I bought one after
watching our builders do virtually everything but stir their tea with
theirs.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

We've all stirred our paint with a combi drill, surely?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

With a paint paddle? For sure :-)
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Business opportunity here, teaspoon with 6 mm hex drive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
wrote:

[...]

Nah tabby troll will already have thought of it
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/