Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rat and mouse proofing electric wires

There are rats and mice in the cellar and maybe between floors, how can i protect the new electrical cables from them?
Straight runs and corners.

I've read that " Mice cannot chew through plastic and this provides enough security for your wires" but i'm not 100% sure of that..
http://www.animalatticpest.com/mouseelectric.html

Metal conduit is £3 a meter at screwfix, i guess the galvanised is just for looks, if its hidden there must be a cheaper option?

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2018 13:30, George Miles wrote:
There are rats and mice in the cellar and maybe between floors, how can i protect the new electrical cables from them?
Straight runs and corners.

I've read that " Mice cannot chew through plastic and this provides enough security for your wires" but i'm not 100% sure of that..
http://www.animalatticpest.com/mouseelectric.html

Metal conduit is £3 a meter at screwfix, i guess the galvanised is just for looks, if its hidden there must be a cheaper option?

George

Mice can chew through plastic cable insulation.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2018 13:30, George Miles wrote:
There are rats and mice in the cellar and maybe between floors, how can i protect the new electrical cables from them?
Straight runs and corners.

I've read that " Mice cannot chew through plastic and this provides enough security for your wires" but i'm not 100% sure of that..
http://www.animalatticpest.com/mouseelectric.html

Metal conduit is £3 a meter at screwfix, i guess the galvanised is just for looks, if its hidden there must be a cheaper option?

George

Mice can chew through plastic cable insulation.

Bill

That's a given.
The issue is, can they chew through plastic conduit.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2018 13:45, Graham. wrote:
On 25/09/2018 13:30, George Miles wrote:
There are rats and mice in the cellar and maybe between floors,
how can i protect the new electrical cables from them? Straight
runs and corners.

I've read that " Mice cannot chew through plastic and this
provides enough security for your wires" but i'm not 100% sure of
that.. http://www.animalatticpest.com/mouseelectric.html

Metal conduit is £3 a meter at screwfix, i guess the galvanised
is just for looks, if its hidden there must be a cheaper option?

Mice can chew through plastic cable insulation.

That's a given. The issue is, can they chew through plastic conduit.

Probably not unless there was already damage to it that allowed them to
get a bite onto it. Once they get an edge or a corner all bets are off.

Essentially they will chew on anything that they can get their teeth
around. I'd be much more inclined to particularly rat (and squirrel)
proof the space that the wires are in. Then some rodent bait for any
mice that venture in. You don't want a dead rat rotting away there!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/18 13:30, George Miles wrote:
There are rats and mice in the cellar and maybe between floors, how can i protect the new electrical cables from them?
Straight runs and corners.

I've read that " Mice cannot chew through plastic and this provides enough security for your wires" but i'm not 100% sure of that..
http://www.animalatticpest.com/mouseelectric.html

Metal conduit is £3 a meter at screwfix, i guess the galvanised is just for looks, if its hidden there must be a cheaper option?

Mice can't chew through plastic? Would someone please tell the mice that
ate my cereals and flour? Stored in plastic boxes, of course. If you can
whittle it with a penknife, they can chew through it.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2018 13:30, George Miles wrote:
There are rats and mice in the cellar and maybe between floors, how can i protect the new electrical cables from them?
Straight runs and corners.

I've read that " Mice cannot chew through plastic and this provides enough security for your wires" but i'm not 100% sure of that..
http://www.animalatticpest.com/mouseelectric.html

Metal conduit is £3 a meter at screwfix, i guess the galvanised is just for looks, if its hidden there must be a cheaper option?

George

The only way to really ensure protection from rodents is to use metal
conduit, the galvanising is only for corrosion prevention, so black
enamel finish should suffice indoors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
On 25/09/18 13:30, George Miles wrote:
There are rats and mice in the cellar and maybe between floors, how can i
protect the new electrical cables from them?
Straight runs and corners.

I've read that " Mice cannot chew through plastic and this provides
enough security for your wires" but i'm not 100% sure of that..
http://www.animalatticpest.com/mouseelectric.html

Metal conduit is £3 a meter at screwfix, i guess the galvanised is just
for looks, if its hidden there must be a cheaper option?

Mice can't chew through plastic? Would someone please tell the mice that
ate my cereals and flour? Stored in plastic boxes, of course. If you can
whittle it with a penknife, they can chew through it.

Plastic conduit is different tho, much thicker and much
harder to get their teeth into when done properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 03:45:00 +1000, 543dsa, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Metal conduit is £3 a meter at screwfix, i guess the galvanised is just
for looks, if its hidden there must be a cheaper option?

Mice can't chew through plastic? Would someone please tell the mice that
ate my cereals and flour? Stored in plastic boxes, of course. If you can
whittle it with a penknife, they can chew through it.

Plastic conduit is different tho, much thicker and much
harder to get their teeth into when done properly.

That's what the article said, Mr Wisenheimer! tsk

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2018 19:54, Andrew wrote:
On 25/09/2018 17:39, Tufnell Park wrote:
On 25/09/2018 13:30, George Miles wrote:
There are rats and mice in the cellar and maybe between floors, how
can i protect the new electrical cables from them?
Straight runs and corners.

I've read that " Mice cannot chew through plastic and this provides
enough security for your wires" but i'm not 100% sure of that..
http://www.animalatticpest.com/mouseelectric.html

Metal conduit is £3 a meter at screwfix, i guess the galvanised is
just for looks, if its hidden there must be a cheaper option?

George

The only way to really ensure protection from rodents is to use metal
conduit, the galvanising is only for corrosion prevention, so black
enamel finish should suffice indoors.

MICC ?

Whilst an option in theory, micc is not really a viable diy prospect
unless you have the expertise and special equipment required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2018 22:10, Tufnell Park wrote:
[...]

Almost anything is a viable DIY prospect IMHO ;-)

unless you have the expertise and special equipment required.

Only one way to get the experience, and the tools are not that expensive.

Also if all you need is a couple of terminations, you can muddle through
without:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_MICC_/_Pyro

--
Cheers,

John.

How quickly does a rat die in a typical rat trap Bill Keefer Home Repair 54 August 16th 20 11:42 PM
How can a mouse trap be tripped and no mouse? james Home Repair 56 June 19th 16 03:05 PM
Rat proofing a house ARWadsworth UK diy 6 May 18th 09 07:40 PM
"Glue" Mouse/Rat Traps judith UK diy 47 July 30th 07 12:50 PM
OT Rat or mouse trapping carl mciver Metalworking 13 February 20th 06 02:13 PM