Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rat proofing a house

I have had a nice weekend away. I have just dropped the girlfriend off at
her house and the loaf of bread that we left on her kitchen table (instead
of taking with us) is now just an empty bag with a hole in it. The unopened
Chocolate Ready Brek is also half gone as is the back of the cupboard that
it was in.

There are the usual air bricks around the house that are under floorboard
level. Non of them are broken I have also found a hole or two under some
kitchen units in the floorboards. The holes will be blocked up tommorrow.

Should I cover the airvents with some mesh?

Should I also check next doors out? It is a semi and if he has a broken
airvent then could rats enter via the neighbours?

I think it is also possible that the rat(s) came in through an open door.
The GF leaves the door open whenever possible. That will stop.

I have set two borrowed rat traps tonight. Any ideas how many of the little
*******s there could be?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have set two borrowed rat traps tonight. Any ideas how many of the little
*******s there could be?

Adam

millions - get a cat.

(Actually I have a catflap but no cat:
local cats come and visit and scare off mice and rats..

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message

I have set two borrowed rat traps tonight. Any ideas how many of the
little *******s there could be?

Adam

millions - get a cat.

(Actually I have a catflap but no cat:
local cats come and visit and scare off mice and rats..

[g]

I have two cats at my house, the GF can borrow one.

I got a phone call a few minutes ago to say the first rat is dead. Chocolate
baited trap. I am just nipping down to reset it.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 19:12:42 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
had this to say:

[...]

Seven.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
I have had a nice weekend away. I have just dropped the girlfriend
off at her house and the loaf of bread that we left on her kitchen
table (instead of taking with us) is now just an empty bag with a
hole in it. The unopened Chocolate Ready Brek is also half gone as is
the back of the cupboard that it was in.

Problem is the food source. Leaving a loaf in the open isn't using your
loaf :-)

Very hard to rat proof a house, better to make it a house where a rat
couldn't be bothered to go.

Steel mesh does work, stopped the buggers getting onto my patio from
drainage holes in the adjacent alley.

If you have one though, you prolly have 20.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you have one though, you prolly have 20.

if you have 2, and they are boy and girl ratties, in 21 days time there will
be upto 18 rittens,
the second she's given birth, she comes into season again, so there'll be
another litter being made, ready to be born just about the time the first
litter reaches maturity and starts producing it's own litters,

and so it continues

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gazz" wrote in message

If you have one though, you prolly have 20.

if you have 2, and they are boy and girl ratties, in 21 days time there
will be upto 18 rittens,
the second she's given birth, she comes into season again, so there'll be
another litter being made, ready to be born just about the time the first
litter reaches maturity and starts producing it's own litters,

and so it continues

I just caught no 3 by hand. I opened the cupboard door to remove no 2 from
the trap and no 3 was eating no 2. No 3 set off running and I slammed it's
head in the cupboard door. It was not skill, just pure luck.

There were no damaged food stuffs or cupboards last week.

The next door but one neighbour who kept chickens moved out a couple of
weeks ago. I wonder if the rats needed a new food source.

Adam

Draught Proofing Roly UK diy 4 May 23rd 07 06:34 PM
sound proofing [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 19th 07 08:09 PM
Sound proofing. Matthew UK diy 14 March 31st 06 12:43 PM
Mouse-proofing a house tenplay Home Repair 11 September 7th 05 06:35 PM
Sound proofing terraced house. andrewpreece UK diy 9 January 8th 05 03:54 PM