Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repair mug handle?

I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

I would ike to be able to put it in the dishwasher afterwards, so it
needs to be proof against heat and also dishwasher chemicals.

I'm leaning towards a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, but all
advice gratefully received.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 09:26:58 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

I would ike to be able to put it in the dishwasher afterwards, so it
needs to be proof against heat and also dishwasher chemicals.

I'm leaning towards a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, but all
advice gratefully received.

Prolonged wetting causes cyano to fail. Heat causes epoxy to fail unless set hot. But the standard advice is don't do it due to risk of a repeat fail & consequent injury out of all proportion to value of mug.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/18 09:26, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

Having broken a china ornament when I was a kid and repaired it,
superglue is probably the way to get the finest of joints - damp both
faces before applying glue and have a rag ready to wipe off the excess
with whatever solvent works the best (I forget - meths???).

Personally I would not try to repair a mug *and* keep it in use for hot
drinks. Washing will weaken the joint and last thing anyone wants is a
cup of hot tea in their lap. But if she were willing to use it for cold
drinks only?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 09:26, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

I would ike to be able to put it in the dishwasher afterwards, so it
needs to be proof against heat and also dishwasher chemicals.

I'm leaning towards a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, but all
advice gratefully received.

Best to get her a new mug, repair is a recipe for disaster if she wants
to use it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/18 09:26, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

I would ike to be able to put it in the dishwasher afterwards, so it
needs to be proof against heat and also dishwasher chemicals.

I'm leaning towards a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, but all
advice gratefully received.

Right. Do NOT use CA. It softens under heat

DO use Epoxy but you need to do this very carefully .

Forest of all find one that is as clear as possible.

Secondly you MUST stove it, as it sets, at around 100C. Otherwise it
will never withstand hot water.

The way I normally do these - and it is a regular thing - is to see if a
rubber band or tape can hold the broken part in place without glue. If
not uyou have tro find a way to do that - tape maybe.

Then thee job is easy.

Mix up a little epoxy - be absolutely careful to use EXACT amounts and
mix very very thoroughly - and use a small amount to do the job.

Now use white spirit or acetone to wipe the joint clean.

Then put the support on.

Then into the oven at around 100C.

Even 24hr epoxy will set in under half an hour at that temperature.

Once its cooled down leave for 24 hours before doing anything.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 09:26, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

I would probably use a white filled epoxy in the thinnest layer to wet
both the surfaces (assuming that the mug is fine china) trimming off any
excess with a scalpel when the stuff has mostly cured.

Cyanoacrylate will fail on exposure to water so not a good idea. It will
also mist over the glossy surface near where it is applied.

I would ike to be able to put it in the dishwasher afterwards, so it
needs to be proof against heat and also dishwasher chemicals.

I think two part epoxy is probably the most resistant to chemical attack
but there is always a risk now that the handle will fail again. A well
made epoxy joint will be almost as strong as the original ceramic but if
you subject it to daily thermal cycling and caustic in a dishwasher then
eventually catastrophic failure is inevitable. Not good for a hot drink!

I'm leaning towards a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, but all
advice gratefully received.

I doubt if a PU glue will cure satisfactorily to its full strength in a
very thin layer away from the edges. Ceramics are quite impervious.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/18 09:50, Martin Brown wrote:
I would probably use a white filled epoxy in the thinnest layer to wet
both the surfaces (assuming that the mug is fine china) trimming off any
excess with a scalpel when the stuff has mostly cured.

I agree in part. Wipe the excess off with white spirit or acetone, then
stove.

Stoiving is the only way I have found to ensure it doesn't fall apart
under heat.

If it sets at 100C it stays set at 100C

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/18 09:50, Martin Brown wrote:
I would probably use a white filled epoxy in the thinnest layer to wet
both the surfaces (assuming that the mug is fine china) trimming off
any excess with a scalpel when the stuff has mostly cured.

I agree in part. Wipe the excess off with white spirit or acetone, then
stove.

Stoiving is the only way I have found to ensure it doesn't fall apart
under heat.

If it sets at 100C it stays set at 100C

Good point. I forgot to mention that and also that it has to be held in
place very firmly whilst it cures as initially the reaction makes it
thin and flow like water before it starts to gain strength.

The thinner the bond the stronger it is. Incidentally I also recall
Aldi/Lidl had a bespoke ceramic repair glue in not that long ago.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Tufnell Park" wrote in message
news
On 19/09/2018 09:26, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

Best to get her a new mug, repair is a recipe for disaster if she wants to
use it.

I would advise relegating it to a pen holder or a cold-water-only mug. I
broke the handle off a very chunky mug (Marauders' Map mug from Harry Potter
theme park at Leavesden). It was a clean break, apart from a bit of the
glazed surface chipping off around the two breaks, so I glued it back on
with superglue (cyanoacrilate) and it *feels* as if it is a very firm joint.
However it is now a pen holder on my desk: I don't have the confidence that
the glue won't weaken over time, especially with washing and with it holding
hot liquids (heating/cooling the joint).

I should probably have used Aradite (epoxy), having read the other postings
on this thread. I hadn't realised that CA glues weaken as they get wet. I
didn't know about the trick of heating to 100 deg C to heat-cure epoxy. As
with so many gluing jobs, holding the two parts accurately together until
the glue develops a good bond to support itself - that is always the biggest
problem :-) You need something that will not denature or expand under
heating, so sellotape is not viable, and a metal support may expand
(widening the crack) under heat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 09:26, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

I would ike to be able to put it in the dishwasher afterwards, so it
needs to be proof against heat and also dishwasher chemicals.

I'm leaning towards a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, but all
advice gratefully received.

Some 45 years ago when we were struggling with a 15% mortgage STWNFI
broke the handle of one of our four mugs!

I used some two part epoxy resin adhesive that had been left behind by
the previous owner (sorry cant remember the brand) to fix it.

That mug is still in use after 100s of dishwasher cycles.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 09:26, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

I would ike to be able to put it in the dishwasher afterwards, so it
needs to be proof against heat and also dishwasher chemicals.

I'm leaning towards a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, but all
advice gratefully received.

I was told by a neighbour (former ceramics restorer) the answer if a cup
is to be used (not just admired) is 2-part epoxy but with stainless
steel pins inserted in holes drilled in each end of the handle and the
body. Don't ask me how she lined up the holes; but I know her services
weren't cheap.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 10:34, Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Back then there was only Araldite (Ciba-Geigy) now a Huntsman brand -
and another reminder you want the original slow setting formulation for
this trick *NOT* the 5 minute setting rubbish. The bond needs plenty of
time to develop and with no air bubbles in it.

That mug is still in use after 100s of dishwasher cycles.

It is a risk that it will eventually fail though. Done well an epoxy
repair can be as strong as the ceramic it has been applied to. It is
*not* recommended for food contact - which may be a consideration.
(should be fine on a mug handle from that POV)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 10:35, Robin wrote:
On 19/09/2018 09:26, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

I would ike to be able to put it in the dishwasher afterwards, so it
needs to be proof against heat and also dishwasher chemicals.

I'm leaning towards a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, but all
advice gratefully received.

I was told by a neighbour (former ceramics restorer) the answer if a cup
is to be used (not just admired) is 2-part epoxy but with stainless
steel pins inserted in holes drilled in each end of the handle and the
body.Â* Don't ask me how she lined up the holes; but I know her services
weren't cheap.

I imagine the holes don't have to be particularly well aligned, but
oversize and epoxy filled. I'd use a bit of SS screw thread for grip.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 10:50, Clive Arthur wrote:
[...]

handle and the body.Â* Don't ask me how she lined up the holes; but I
know her services weren't cheap.

I imagine the holes don't have to be particularly well aligned, but
oversize and epoxy filled.Â* I'd use a bit of SS screw thread for grip.

Well she did usually work with ceramics worth at least several hundred
of pounds where there might well not be room for screws. But I'd
assumed differential thermal expansion militated for the minimum amount
of metal. And of course for an epoxy with a similar CTE to ceramics.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, you basically need a ceramic adhesive that is good under tension
I can recall a friend of mine going to the trouble of drilling the broken
bits and inserting little metal pins and then glueing the other bit on that,
getting it to line up was a challenge, three weeks later the whole handle
split.
Maybe if she promises not to use it a repair can be done that looks OK for
display purposes.

I had the handle come right off of a teapot a couple of months ago while
rinsing it out, and if that had happened with hot tea in it I'd have had to
talk to the seller. Most modern teapots use a moulded in handle which is
hollow but this has the disadvantage that the handle fills with tea and is
hot. This particular one was good as it had a handle fastened in the old
fashioned way with slip before firing, but obviously not really very well
done as in thee end only the glaze was holding it together!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
[...]

Providing of course you can find rubber bands, tape etc which can withstand 100%

Next !

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 11:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
Sorry, I wouldn't risk it.

It's not so much that it *will* fail - it might last for decades.

It's more a case of if it does fail, the potential for serious injury is
very high.

While I would agree it's probably not worth doing, a cup of very hot
water is hardly 'serious injury'.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 09:26, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

I would ike to be able to put it in the dishwasher afterwards, so it
needs to be proof against heat and also dishwasher chemicals.

I'm leaning towards a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, but all
advice gratefully received.

Don't risk it. She'll get a burn if it fails.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 12:36, michael adams wrote:
news
[...]

Kapton tape as used for PCB rework might be a good candidate.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:24:55 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Good thought, and I have some.

However, I think I may just look for a new mug - I can get one *almost*
the same!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 09:26:58 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

- a lot of it says NOT to use cyanoacrylate
- some of it says NOT to use epoxy

I would ike to be able to put it in the dishwasher afterwards, so it
needs to be proof against heat and also dishwasher chemicals.

I'm leaning towards a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, but all
advice gratefully received.

We have a much loved jug whose handle keeps breaking in different places. I have now repaired it four times with epoxy glue which has worked fine for years. BIG however, we don't have a dishwasher, so it is always washed in water we can get our hands into.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 13:50, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 12:39:04 +0100, Clive Arthur wrote:

On 19/09/2018 11:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
Sorry, I wouldn't risk it.

It's not so much that it *will* fail - it might last for decades.

It's more a case of if it does fail, the potential for serious injury
is very high.

While I would agree it's probably not worth doing, a cup of very hot
water is hardly 'serious injury'.

Tell you what, spill some on your plums, and then come back to me.

A lot of injury from hot liquid spills are caused by clothing keeping the
hot liquid on the skin longer than if it had run off.

Painful and unpleasant, not 'serious injury'. No emergency ambulance
required.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk Wrote in message:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 12:39:04 +0100, Clive Arthur wrote:

On 19/09/2018 11:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
Sorry, I wouldn't risk it.

It's not so much that it *will* fail - it might last for decades.

It's more a case of if it does fail, the potential for serious injury
is very high.

While I would agree it's probably not worth doing, a cup of very hot
water is hardly 'serious injury'.

Tell you what, spill some on your plums, and then come back to me.

Helps to get the skins off iirc...

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
We have a much loved jug whose handle keeps breaking in different places.
I have now repaired it four times with epoxy glue which has worked fine
for years. BIG however, we don't have a dishwasher, so it is always washed
in water we can get our hands into.

Indeed and I've done similar in the past with equal success, with handles
and even gluing a mug that was broken completely in two using standard
Araldite.

Just so as to compensate for my clumsiness in dropping the thing in
the first place, when plenty of replacements were already to hand.

So just out of curiosity I just checked their product description. Whoops !
On there, standard Araldite is only good to 65% C; although obviously
a margin of arse-covering understatement needs to be allowed for.
So maybe 130%C tops.

http://www.go-araldite.com/products/...-2-x-15ml-tube

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/18 09:26, Bob Eager wrote:
I seem to have broken the handle on one of SWMBO's favourite mugs

It's a clean break and the handle fits back well. I would like to try and
repair it (yes, she already knows).

What is the best adhesive to use? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice
on Google/

"How to Fix a Porcelain Mug ..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKWfW-MIRHc

Should work, getting expenses approval and a ticket to go out and
purchase a TIG...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

While I would agree it's probably not worth doing, a cup of very hot
water is hardly 'serious injury'.

I think if I poured 300mls of boiling water over your genitals you'd regard it as a serious injury!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 September 2018 15:47:23 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:

While I would agree it's probably not worth doing, a cup of very hot

water is hardly 'serious injury'.

I think if I poured 300mls of boiling water over your genitals you'd regard it as a serious injury!!!

that could get you a lot of hits on youtube.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 09:38:28 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

Having broken a china ornament when I was a kid and repaired it,
superglue is probably the way to get the finest of joints - damp both
faces before applying glue and have a rag ready to wipe off the
excess with whatever solvent works the best (I forget - meths???).

Cyanoacrylate doesn't like repeated immersion in water. I've repaired
a couple of mugs with Araldite and used them for years afterwards, but
not in a dishwasher or microwave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Having broken a china ornament when I was a kid and repaired it,
superglue is probably the way to get the finest of joints - damp both
faces before applying glue and have a rag ready to wipe off the
excess with whatever solvent works the best (I forget - meths???).

Cyanoacrylate doesn't like repeated immersion in water. I've repaired
a couple of mugs with Araldite and used them for years afterwards, but
not in a dishwasher or microwave.

Ive found heat cured epoxy to be 100% useable under all normal
conditions. I have not tried it in the oven above 100C though.

But there are epoxies that work at very high temps

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)