Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Redoing power to garage & onto gate opener...

Looks like I'll be digging trenches to get power to a new gate
opener....

Obvious place to take power from is the garage approx 1/2 way there.

Garage is currently connected by some T&E run in black conduit
((at least the bits I can see are ;-) ). It passed a whole house
periodic when a new cu was fitted in the house a few years ago
so suppose it's ok? In the garage there's no cu, just a double
socket, 2 florries & an led striplight.

Power requirements for the gate opener appears to be around 100w.

Gate opener will be approx 25m from present location of double
socket in garage.

How best to connect the gate opener? & with what?

TIA
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/09/2018 11:53, Jim K wrote:
Looks like I'll be digging trenches to get power to a new gate
opener....

Obvious place to take power from is the garage approx 1/2 way there.

Garage is currently connected by some T&E run in black conduit
((at least the bits I can see are ;-) ). It passed a whole house
periodic when a new cu was fitted in the house a few years ago
so suppose it's ok? In the garage there's no cu, just a double
socket, 2 florries & an led striplight.

Power requirements for the gate opener appears to be around 100w.

Gate opener will be approx 25m from present location of double
socket in garage.

How best to connect the gate opener? & with what?

TIA

Usually SWA that terminates into a control box on a post next to the
gates. With spare cores if you want to think ahead.

Any intercom etc?

I'll be able to give more info later. I am trying to sort out some
prison vetting and it looks like they need to know everything.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/09/2018 12:13, ARW wrote:
On 16/09/2018 11:53, Jim K wrote:
Looks like I'll be digging trenches to get power to a new gate
Â* opener....

Obvious place to take power from is theÂ* garage approx 1/2 way there.

Garage is currently connected by some T&E run in black conduit
Â* ((at least the bits I can see are ;-) ). It passed a whole house
Â* periodicÂ* when a new cu was fitted in the house a few years ago
Â* so suppose it's ok? In the garage there's no cu, just a double
Â* socket, 2 florries & an led striplight.

Power requirements for the gate opener appears to be around 100w.

Gate opener will be approx 25m from present locationÂ* of double
Â* socket in garage.

How best toÂ* connect the gate opener? & with what?

TIA

Usually SWA that terminates into a control box on a post next to the
gates. With spare cores if you want to think ahead.

Any intercom etc?

I'll be able to give more info later. I am trying to sort out some
prison vetting and it looks like they need to know everything.

[1] Apparently it was the wrong birth certificate I gave them last time!!!

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 12:15, ARW wrote:
On 16/09/2018 12:13, ARW wrote:
On 16/09/2018 11:53, Jim K wrote:
[...]

You have more than one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 16/09/2018 12:15, ARW wrote:
On 16/09/2018 12:13, ARW wrote:
On 16/09/2018 11:53, Jim K wrote:
[...]

To match each passport...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 16/09/2018 11:53, Jim K wrote:
Looks like I'll be digging trenches to get power to a new gate
opener....

Obvious place to take power from is the garage approx 1/2 way there.

Garage is currently connected by some T&E run in black conduit
((at least the bits I can see are ;-) ). It passed a whole house
periodic when a new cu was fitted in the house a few years ago
so suppose it's ok? In the garage there's no cu, just a double
socket, 2 florries & an led striplight.

Power requirements for the gate opener appears to be around 100w.

Gate opener will be approx 25m from present location of double
socket in garage.

How best to connect the gate opener? & with what?

TIA

Usually SWA that terminates into a control box on a post next to the
gates. With spare cores if you want to think ahead.

Could I use more T&E in plastic conduit?

Any intercom etc?

Mmm not currently, I don't get many casuals :-)

I'll be able to give more info later.

No probs.

I am trying to sort out some
prison vetting and it looks like they need to know everything.

Ah.... "everything"??

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/18 12:21, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/09/2018 12:15, ARW wrote:
On 16/09/2018 12:13, ARW wrote:
On 16/09/2018 11:53, Jim K wrote:
[...]

His mother was a lot more surprised than you.
Or he took the "born again" religious thing too literally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 12:30, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 16/09/2018 11:53, Jim K wrote:
Looks like I'll be digging trenches to get power to a new gate
opener....

Obvious place to take power from is the garage approx 1/2 way there.

Garage is currently connected by some T&E run in black conduit
((at least the bits I can see are ;-) ). It passed a whole house
periodic when a new cu was fitted in the house a few years ago
so suppose it's ok? In the garage there's no cu, just a double
socket, 2 florries & an led striplight.

Power requirements for the gate opener appears to be around 100w.

Gate opener will be approx 25m from present location of double
socket in garage.

How best to connect the gate opener? & with what?

TIA

Usually SWA that terminates into a control box on a post next to the
gates. With spare cores if you want to think ahead.

Could I use more T&E in plastic conduit?

Not ideal if you are burying it. SWA is the way to go. (by all means lay
an empty duct in the trench with it, then you have scope for expansion
later).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 11:53, Jim K wrote:
Looks like I'll be digging trenches to get power to a new gate
opener....

Obvious place to take power from is the garage approx 1/2 way there.

Garage is currently connected by some T&E run in black conduit
((at least the bits I can see are ;-) ). It passed a whole house
periodic when a new cu was fitted in the house a few years ago
so suppose it's ok? In the garage there's no cu, just a double
socket, 2 florries & an led striplight.

Fused down for the lights?

For powered gates it would be worth checking that the earthing
arrangements are sensible, since that is a prime example of a situation
where it is impossible to extend an equipotential zone. Hence it would
be unwise IMHO to export a TN-C-S earth to them. Transitioning to TT in
the garage if needs be might be a better way to go.

Power requirements for the gate opener appears to be around 100w.

Gate opener will be approx 25m from present location of double
socket in garage.

How best to connect the gate opener? & with what?

SWA in a trench. Use weatherproof JBs on the outside of the garage to
connect the SWA to the internal run of T&E, and the same type of JB at
the far end to connect up the opener.

e.g. http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...Connection.jpg

I frequently use an external socket as a way of providing JB space to
transition from T&E through the wall of the building to the SWA, since
extra external sockets are often handy.

So for example on the feed into an outbuilding:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...rnalSocket.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 12:13, ARW wrote:
On 16/09/2018 11:53, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Why do you need vetting to enter prison? Criminals manage without.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/09/2018 13:46, Max Demian wrote:

Why do you need vetting to enter prison? Criminals manage without.

Even the ones employed by the prison service.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...obile-12911515

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-45420956

and the last one has not been convicted yet

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/201...rugs-offences/

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 18:46:02 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 17/09/2018 13:46, Max Demian wrote:

Why do you need vetting to enter prison? Criminals manage without.

Even the ones employed by the prison service.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...ght-smuggling-

mobile-12911515

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-45420956

and the last one has not been convicted yet

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/201...rison-officer-

charged-with-drugs-offences/

I was interested to see the latest weapon in the war against drugs in
prison - the photocopier.

Drug-soaked letters were being smoked by inmates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/09/2018 18:56, Bob Eager wrote:

I was interested to see the latest weapon in the war against drugs in
prison - the photocopier.

Drug-soaked letters were being smoked by inmates.

Yep. I know that one.

Just goes to show that emails are not the future.

--
Adam

Advice on redoing stair rails needed The Other Mike Home Repair 3 November 27th 05 04:52 PM
Redoing Cast Iron Tops Genedoc Woodworking 13 September 8th 05 04:15 PM
Redoing wood floor drummer Home Repair 1 November 21st 04 05:29 AM
Redoing a steep wood-paneled ceiling MB UK diy 3 March 28th 04 02:31 AM
Redoing Bathroom - Help Please?? rakster UK diy 3 July 21st 03 10:55 PM