drummer

Default Redoing wood floor

Hey,

I just ripped up the carpeting in my living room, and the hardwood
floor underneath looks awful. Is it ridiculous to try redoing it
using one of those little 'mouse' electric sanders? How long would
that take in a room about 10 feet by 15 feet? Thanks.
remcow

I did my upstairs that way -- I rented the equipment and it looks great now.

You can rent several types of sanders:
A drum sander is basically a very aggressive sander. Envision a belt sander
on steroids -- it will take some practice and can actually do damage if you
don't know how to use it. If you do use one of these, be sure to read a book
on how to use it properly. The results are fast, but the quality is entirely
up to you. Take your time, follow the directions and you'll be fine.

They also rent a sander that looks like a very large (2'x2') palm sander
that takes special pads. It looks a little like a floor polisher but the pad
does not rotate -- this one is easy to control and it is a lot harder to do
damage to your floor. It will take a little longer, but it is probably a
good idea since you have never done it before. There is a lot more room for
error with this one.

You can probably redo a 10 x 15 room in a day (sanding, cleaning/'tacking'
and urethaning included). The hardest job is probably making sure you 'tack'
all the dust..
Also when urethaning, be sure you get a lambskin applicator and appropriate
stick -- don't try doing it with a brush. Pour the bucket of urethane out
and push it where it needs to go with the applicator.

It isn't hard as long as you are taking your time and don't rush things.

Hope this helps,
Remco

"drummer" wrote in message
om...
Hey,

I just ripped up the carpeting in my living room, and the hardwood
floor underneath looks awful. Is it ridiculous to try redoing it
using one of those little 'mouse' electric sanders? How long would
that take in a room about 10 feet by 15 feet? Thanks.

### micro-FAQ on wood # 020 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 September 24th 04 07:44 AM
Solid wood floor vs. engineered wood Phil J Woodworking 10 September 5th 04 06:04 AM
Sand down wood floor wayne Home Repair 5 September 2nd 04 02:27 PM
Restoring old wood floor, without varnish. Francis Woodworking 12 February 23rd 04 01:17 PM
Wood Floor Finishing Question John Doe Home Repair 3 October 18th 03 05:27 AM