MB

Default Redoing a steep wood-paneled ceiling

Our lounge, 10 x 15 feet, was a porch when we bought the house in 1972. The
ceiling is slanted, with one long edge about 6.5 feet from the floor and the
opposite edge 9 feet high. When we weatherized the room in '76, we paneled
the walls with t & g knotty pine. To better insulate the ceiling, which
already was wood paneled, we attached new 2 x 4 studs, insulated with
fiberglass between them, and then paneled the ceiling like the walls.

Aside from the fact that I can't bear looking at the knotty pine any more (I
painted one wall 3 years ago and it looks great), on sunny days if I focus
my eyes away from the TV to about 10 inches in front of my face, I see the
air is filled with dancing fiberglass. Fiberglass is so light-- it would
take at least a day for a fragment to reach the floor. I'm inhaling the
junk! Why worry about cholesterol, high blood pressure-- silicosis is the
way to go! Does anyone have a suggestion about the easiest way for my
hubby (75 and fit) and me (65 and kinda handy) to solve this in a DIY
manner? Hubby has made noises about taking it all down and re-insulating
with something else, but there must be another way.

TIA for any tips.

Harry Bloomfield

MB formulated on Saturday :
Aside from the fact that I can't bear looking at the knotty pine any more (I
painted one wall 3 years ago and it looks great), on sunny days if I focus
my eyes away from the TV to about 10 inches in front of my face, I see the
air is filled with dancing fiberglass. Fiberglass is so light-- it would
take at least a day for a fragment to reach the floor.

The air is full of dust anyway, how do you you know the dust is
fibreglass?

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Brian G

MB wrote:
[...]

MB,

With regards to the free floating fibreglass: unless there is a hole in the
pine ceiling then it is unlikely to be that, it is probably just plain
"house dust" and nothing really to worry about. Besides, if you had that
level of fibreglass floating around, you would probably itch like mad on
exposed skin.

The easiest way to sort the t & g knotty pine pine ceiling out would simply
to cover it with decorative plywood sheets, plain plywood sheets and paint
or artex this or simply plasterboard sheets either skimmed, artexed, painted
or wallpapered.

Or an even simpler way is just to paint the pine using either a gloss or
water based emulsion.

Hope this is of some help

Brian G

N. Thornton

"MB" wrote in message ...

on sunny days if I focus
my eyes away from the TV to about 10 inches in front of my face, I see the
air is filled with dancing fiberglass.

All houses have that, its just dust floating about. A wet air filter
clears it if youre concerned or allergic. Frequent hoovering helps
too.

way to go! Does anyone have a suggestion about the easiest way for my
hubby (75 and fit) and me (65 and kinda handy) to solve this in a DIY
manner? Hubby has made noises about taking it all down and re-insulating
with something else, but there must be another way.

Just plasterboard over it if you dont like it.

Regards, NT