Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Old film 1940's bricklayers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The ears would all be stuffed withearpones and somebody would be on their
phone?

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim K" wrote in message
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 07:32, Brian Gaff wrote:
The ears would all be stuffed withearpones and somebody would be on their
phone?

Brian

Hopefully it would not be shown through a dirty sheet of glass, which
this one seems to be, just to get the logo on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/18 20:44, ARW wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

No tape measures there, just the old trusty ruler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/18 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

https://youtu.be/jJa7VzfWJQg
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way round.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker?

Yep.

Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way round.

Nope, that you are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 19:09:03 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker?

Probably. I think they used to do that to draw attention to the post being delivered. Hence some people having notices "please do not ring unless an answer is required".

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blimey! Senile Rot has been up and Trolling since FOUR o'clock in the Morning again! LMAO!

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 05:42:42 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

FLUSH troll ****

--
Marland addressing bull****ting senile Rot:
"Stay in your wet paper bag you thick twit."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/18 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way
round.

He lives in a nice house. I thought bricklayers used to live in council
estates.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW Wrote in message:
On 12/09/18 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way
round.

He lives in a nice house. I thought bricklayers used to live in council
estates.
TW

He hasn't built them yet...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 06:54:18 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
TimW Wrote in message:
On 12/09/18 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way
round.

He lives in a nice house. I thought bricklayers used to live in council
estates.
TW

He hasn't built them yet...

The first council houses were built long before that.
Some n the 19thC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_house
https://fet.uwe.ac.uk/conweb/house_a...sing/print.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 09:38:19 UTC+1, RobH wrote:
On 11/09/18 20:44, ARW wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

No tape measures there, just the old trusty ruler

They used chains over long distances. (Didn't stretch).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 08:34, Broadback wrote:
On 12/09/2018 07:32, Brian Gaff wrote:
The ears would all be stuffed withearpones and somebody would be on their
phone?

Brian

Hopefully it would not be shown through a dirty sheet of glass, which
this one seems to be, just to getÂ* the logo on.

That must be John Huntleys copyright protection.

He used to do fascinating talks at Croydon festival Hall
on all manner of stuff, notably railways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way
round.

Those apprentices looked happy and well motivated. Not a tattoo in
sight.

I wonder how much his gross earnings were before he ended up
with £7 5s 0d ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW presented the following explanation :
Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the door
knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way round.

Postmen used to give a quick knock when they delivered mail. The
convention seems to not happen now, but the dogs let us know just as
soon as the postie gets in the street.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2018 12:28, Andrew wrote:
On 12/09/2018 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang
the door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his
way round.

Those apprentices looked happy and well motivated. Not a tattoo in
sight.

I wonder how much his gross earnings were before he ended up
with £7 5s 0d ?.

very posh apprentices, with triangular sarnies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW Wrote in message:
On 12/09/18 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way
round.

He lives in a nice house. I thought bricklayers used to live in council
estates.
TW

He hasn't built them yet...

The first council houses were built long before that.
Some n the 19thC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_house
https://fet.uwe.ac.uk/conweb/house_a...sing/print.htm

But were bricklayers the intended tenants?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 12:28:38 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 12/09/2018 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way
round.

Those apprentices looked happy and well motivated. Not a tattoo in
sight.

I wonder how much his gross earnings were before he ended up
with £7 5s 0d ?.

In the 1960's, I was an apprentice and got nowhere near that!
Three pounds something ISTR.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way
round.

Those apprentices looked happy and well motivated. Not a tattoo in
sight.

I wonder how much his gross earnings were before he ended up
with £7 5s 0d ?.

In the 1960's, I was an apprentice and got nowhere near that!
Three pounds something ISTR.

If you could be arsed to have watched the film which is the topic of this
thread then you would have realised the £7 5s 0d. was the earnings of the
Bricklayer not the apprentice.

Another classic case of Harry going off at half cock and getting something
wrong again because you dont bother to actually to check details.
No wonder a lot of your postings are complete ********.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
On 12/09/2018 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang the
door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way
round.

Those apprentices looked happy and well motivated. Not a tattoo in
sight.

I wonder how much his gross earnings were before he ended up
with £7 5s 0d ?.

In the 1960's, I was an apprentice and got nowhere near that!
Three pounds something ISTR.

£4.8s 1960 St. Albans. I think we got *London weighting* because the
company re-located during WW2.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/18 20:44, ARW wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Awesome - shirt and tie on Saturday Classy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2018 20:31, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
On Thursday, 13 September 2018 12:28:38 UTC+1, AndrewÂ* wrote:
On 12/09/2018 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 11/09/2018 21:14, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

Wonder what a modern version would look like!?

As I work on site I already know.

Back to the original film right at the beginning.

Does that postman post letters through the letter box and then bang
the
door knocker? Presumably to tell Jacks wife the milkman is on his way
round.

Those apprentices looked happy and well motivated. Not a tattoo in
sight.

I wonder how much his gross earnings were before he ended up
with £7 5s 0d ?.

In the 1960's, I was an apprentice and got nowhere near that!
Three pounds something ISTR.

£4.8sÂ* 1960 St. Albans. I think we got *London weighting* because the
company re-located during WW2.

I got £1000 a year London Weighting when I left the NHS in 1984.
That was almost an eighth of my gross income.

Amazingly, it counts towards the NHS pension too !!, even though
most of the people working in central London hospitals commuted
in from the suburbs, so when they retired, they did not have the
costs of living in central London.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland explained on 14/09/2018 :
* seems to be a thing that not many people have now, most preferring the
mailed items just to fall to the floor
where if someone has been away awhile the heap can obstruct the door.
Having one saves bending down as well .

Maybe a lot to do with modern UPVC doors, many of the ready made ones
will not fit a UPVC door - Having a dog, I needed one so had to DIY
make a custom one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 20:44:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

No hod-carriers??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2018 12:59, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 20:44:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

No hod-carriers??

OK for ground floor but I wouldn't want a labourer to slip and the
workmen below showered with bricks.

I don't see any hard hats in the video, not that they would be much good
against a brick falling 50ft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:15:52 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

I don't see any hard hats in the video, not that they would be much good
against a brick falling 50ft.

Plus I would imagine having a few bricks fall on your head would be a
cake-walk in comparison to all the German bombs recently doing likewise!
Living through a blitzkrieg really makes one re-calibrate one's concept
of what constitutes personal danger. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message news

No hod-carriers??

In the film the bricklayers are working on a large block of flats with continuous
scaffolding.

In such circumsrtances its obviously easier and cheaper to rig up a lift
or lifts to lift stuff to higher floors than it is to employ hod carriers.

This is in contrast to building pairs of semi-detached houses
or similar units where installing such lifts simply wouldn't be
worthwhile.

This has probably been the case since Victorian times if not earlier.

No special knowledge of the building industry was required to provide
this answer, just a modicum of basic common sense.

michael adams

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message news
On 15/09/2018 12:59, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 20:44:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

No hod-carriers??

OK for ground floor but I wouldn't want a labourer to slip and the workmen below
showered with bricks.

I don't see any hard hats in the video, not that they would be much good against a
brick falling 50ft.

There were no ambulance chasing lawyers until fairly recently and so
unless that person's union subs were up to date giving him access to
legal advice nobody really cared if he copped the odd brick on the head
or not. Certainly not the building firms themselves.

While any compo should he have won would probably have been derisory in
any case.

In the end presumably the casualty figures persuaded the gvt. and/or the
insurance industry to act.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 September 2018 16:23:58 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
[...]

but not act until decades later

I'd also expect that any access to lawyers was prohibitively expensive, and that a court would only have blamed whoever dropped the bricks - or possibly the victim for going where they knew it was risky, ie underneath someone moving bricks.

The fact that the guy was walking onto a crude lift floors up says it all. There was evidently scant concern for safety.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Hence at least one advantage of being in a union, even if it did mean
also paying a stamp and tax. Which of course, many weren't : and didn't.

and that a court would only have blamed whoever dropped the bricks - or possibly

the victim for going where they knew it was risky, ie underneath someone moving bricks.

The fact that the guy was walking onto a crude lift floors up says it all. There was
evidently
scant concern for safety.

On the Empire State building some of them used to hitch a ride on the hook of the
crane.

https://artblart.files.wordpress.com...n_ball-web.jpg

As well as his safety helmet and goggles it looks like he forgot his fluorescent vest as
well

michael adams

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Fredxx
scribeth thus
On 15/09/2018 12:59, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 20:44:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.

Enjoy

No hod-carriers??

OK for ground floor but I wouldn't want a labourer to slip and the
workmen below showered with bricks.

I don't see any hard hats in the video, not that they would be much good
against a brick falling 50ft.

Maybe not a direct hit but in any case it would offer some protection as
it can absorb the impact to an extent..
--
Tony Sayer