Brett Jackson

Default Question re 1940's Plasterboard

My early 1940's house in Leeds seems to have a full complement of
plasterboard ceilings. There seems to be no evidence anywhere in the house
of fire or flood damage which I suspect might have led to the ceilings being
replaced. Also it's integrated in the appropriate places with the wooden
beading they used to use before the metal edging came about. I thought that
this period of house should have the lath and plaster ceilings.

The walls are all rendered with what I'm told is lime/sand (very dry,
crumbly stuff).

Is this plasterboard as we know it today? It has the standard white plaster
material sandwiched between two sheets of brown paper. Is it likely that
it's original - I certainly can't find any evidence to suggest otherwise.

Lee

Brett Jackson wrote:

Is this plasterboard as we know it today? It has the standard white plaster
material sandwiched between two sheets of brown paper. Is it likely that
it's original - I certainly can't find any evidence to suggest otherwise.

Plasterboard was introduced to the UK in 1917, though I don't know what
sort of buildings would have used it that early.

Says so he
http://www.gpda.com/student.htm

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
G&M

"Brett Jackson" wrote in message
[...]

It probably is. But there were some asbestos sheets made in a similar
manner as an early form of heat insulation. Perhaps somebody here tell how
to identify them.

Dave Jones

[...]

I recently knock a coal house out of a 1940's house and that ceiling and the
rest of the kitchen had plasterboard, original as the lady had lived there
from when new.

Apparently designed by a woman.

sPoNiX

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:39:12 +0100, "Brett Jackson"
wrote:

My early 1940's house in Leeds seems to have a full complement of
plasterboard ceilings. There seems to be no evidence anywhere in the house
of fire or flood damage which I suspect might have led to the ceilings being
replaced. Also it's integrated in the appropriate places with the wooden
beading they used to use before the metal edging came about. I thought that
this period of house should have the lath and plaster ceilings.

The walls are all rendered with what I'm told is lime/sand (very dry,
crumbly stuff).

Is this plasterboard as we know it today? It has the standard white plaster
material sandwiched between two sheets of brown paper. Is it likely that
it's original - I certainly can't find any evidence to suggest otherwise.

I know of some pre ww2 buildings that have plasterboard ceilings.

sPoNiX

Christian McArdle

I thought that this period of house should have the lath and
plaster ceilings.

Plasterboard has been in widespread use since the 1930s, although it didn't
become almost universal until later.

Christian.

Alan Kennedy

We have a 1936 house with plasterboard ceilings in all rooms
(original). It looks slightly unusual compared to modern plasterboard
- thinner board with thicker coarser paper and the plaster contains
what looks like small chips of wood. I was slightly suspicious that it
might have contained asbestos and as I was going to bring down a
ceiling I had it tested - it did not contain any asbestos. On further
investigation on the Net it became clear that plasterboard was in fact
produced in the UK from 1917.

Alan