Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap but effective alternatives to Roundup

I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

Ebay "glyphosate"?

How cheap do we need to be!?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

If OP doesn't want Roundup I assume it's because he doesn't want
glyphosate.

I'm not aware of any others still licensed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
If OP doesn't want Roundup I assume it's because he doesn't want
glyphosate.

Glyphosate is OK, it's just that down the garden centre Roundup always seems the most expensive and I was just questioning whether other brands are just as effective or are there different concentration levels and thus different levels of effectiveness?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

Ebay "glyphosate"?

How cheap do we need to be!?
--

If OP doesn't want Roundup I assume it's because he doesn't want
glyphosate.

I'm not aware of any others still licensed.

Thread title says cheap, roundup is not cheap....

Any other what still licensed?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
--
If OP doesn't want Roundup I assume it's because he doesn't want
glyphosate.

Glyphosate is OK, it's just that down the garden centre Roundup always seems the most expensive and I was just questioning whether other brands are just as effective or are there different concentration levels and thus different levels of effectiveness?

Richard

Different concentrations, xs profit margins, convenience pump
action bottles you name it, all to up the price.

5 litres of concentrated stuff (eBay) lasts me years. 1 litre
bottles also available.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

Ebay "glyphosate"?

How cheap do we need to be!?
--

If OP doesn't want Roundup I assume it's because he doesn't want
glyphosate.

I'm not aware of any others still licensed.

Thread title says cheap, roundup is not cheap....

Fair point, borne out by subsequent responses.

Any other what still licensed?
--

Active ingredients contained in weedkillers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2018 16:17, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

Ammonium sulphamate can still be purchased as compost accelerator (Ebay
or Amazon) but the EU has banned its use as a herbicide.

So you mustn't dilute it approx 200g/l (ISTR) and spray on the weedy grass.

But as others have said, just get 5l of glyphosate 360 on Ebay; it's
safe and probably cheaper in the long run.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

Ebay "glyphosate"?

How cheap do we need to be!?
--
If OP doesn't want Roundup I assume it's because he doesn't want
glyphosate.

I'm not aware of any others still licensed.

Thread title says cheap, roundup is not cheap....

Fair point, borne out by subsequent responses.

Any other what still licensed?
--

Active ingredients contained in weedkillers.

Pelargonic acid?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

Ebay "glyphosate"?

How cheap do we need to be!?
--

Roundup is glyphosate is Roundup.

TBH, these days most weedkillers contain glyphosate. That's because
there are few, if any 'cheap but effective' alternatives. But why not
use it? Pay no attention to the nonsense about glyphosate being
carcinogenic; it isn't. Just get on and use it; you'll come to no
harm.

But if you really don't want to use it, household vinegar with a
little salt and detergent is used, but it doesn't kill deep-rooted
weeds, just burns off the top growth and the roots re-grow. More,
fairly ineffective solutions here https://tinyurl.com/ycm228sy (I can
think of better things to do with Vodka than spraying it on weeds!)
Some similar ideas here https://tinyurl.com/y7gb882n

In early summer, farmers around here used to spray their early potato
crops with strong sulphuric acid (yes, really). It was a cheap and
traditional way of killing the haulms very fast, but the tubers remain
unaffected and safe from potato blight being transmitted down the
stems now the tops have been killed. But that's the point: it burns
the foliage but doesn't affect the roots, like most of the
non-glyphosate weedkillers. The practice is now banned.

I would imagine it was a little off putting reproduction wise to be
squirted with acid just when the creepy crawlies were getting amorous
:-(

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Then there's this from the RHS https://tinyurl.com/y9db44p9 but a lot
are for killing weeds IN grass, not killing everything. Section 3,
contact herbicides, is what you want.

Not me. The op presumably...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:

--
If OP doesn't want Roundup I assume it's because he doesn't want
glyphosate.

Glyphosate is OK, it's just that down the garden centre Roundup always seems
the most expensive and I was just questioning whether other brands are just as
effective or are there different concentration levels and thus different
levels of effectiveness?

It's only worth buying at the 360gm/lt concentration, or more. If you
want to avoid ebay, you can get the 360 from the likes of B&Q for £40
or so, and then dilute in at 10cc Roundup to a litre of water for
actual use. Such a bottle lasts me 5 years at least.

Others here have reported getting 5 lt drums but I'm not sure what they
paid or where they got it from.

£25 to 30 for 5litre plastic jug. Ebay.

Either way, you'll pay through the nose for the "ready to spray now"
stuff.

Indeed.

At b&q you'll pay through the nose for concentrate...

Around £10 for a 1 litre bottle postage paid from eBay UK sellers,
why wouldn't you??
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn
roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

Weedol killed the weeds on my yet again failed flower bed. It also kills the
grass on my lawn as I unfortunately found out. Doh!
About 15 quid oneline for 3lts which goes quite a long way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater has brought this to us :
Others here have reported getting 5 lt drums but I'm not sure what they
paid or where they got it from.

Ebay, around £27 delivered, for the 5ltr highly concentrated. I expect
it to last me many years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/18 16:17, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

Glyphostate.

Just spray off the lot.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :
Glyphostate.

Just spray off the lot.

It needs predicted dry weather, before attempting to spray, the drier
the more effective it is likely to be. It also only works where there
are leaves or grass. No point in spraying bare ground to kill the
roots, it becomes ineffective once in contact with soil - it needs
green growth to be absorbed into the plant. Then it can take a few days
for them to begin to drop. It is not much use on the likes of bramble.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater Wrote in message:

Tricky Dicky wrote:

--
[...]

Interesting. Are those guys to be trusted? Seems the 360 is in great
demand from weed growers.

Eh?
For 1/4 of the price you pay is it not worth a "gamble"?

It would be fairly bloody obvious if it didn't work! :-)
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 08/09/18 16:17, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

Glyphostate.

Wgassat?

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :
Glyphostate.

Just spray off the lot.

It needs predicted dry weather, before attempting to spray, the drier
the more effective it is likely to be.

Istr it only has to "not get washed off leaves by rain etc before
it dries"

It also only works where there
are leaves or grass. No point in spraying bare ground to kill the
roots, it becomes ineffective once in contact with soil - it needs
green growth to be absorbed into the plant. Then it can take a few days
for them to begin to drop.

Yes it's translocated throughout the plant to hopefully achieve a
complete kill, not just burn the top growth off.

It is not much use on the likes of bramble.

?
Works on mine, few applications required for a "kill" unless small
plant.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2018 17:58, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:

--
If OP doesn't want Roundup I assume it's because he doesn't want
glyphosate.

Glyphosate is OK, it's just that down the garden centre Roundup always
seems
the most expensive

https://www.chemigro.co.uk/Professio...e/default.aspx

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

In early summer, farmers around here used to spray their early potato
crops with strong sulphuric acid (yes, really). It was a cheap and
traditional way of killing the haulms very fast, but the tubers remain
unaffected and safe from potato blight being transmitted down the
stems now the tops have been killed. But that's the point: it burns
the foliage but doesn't affect the roots, like most of the
non-glyphosate weedkillers. The practice is now banned.

Farmers Weekly story at the time said a walker found her nylons
disintegrating after following a path through a treated potato crop.

Then there's this from the RHS https://tinyurl.com/y9db44p9 but a lot
are for killing weeds IN grass, not killing everything. Section 3,
contact herbicides, is what you want.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2018 18:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :
Glyphostate.

Just spray off the lot.

It needs predicted dry weather, before attempting to spray, the drier
the more effective it is likely to be. It also only works where there
are leaves or grass. No point in spraying bare ground to kill the roots,
it becomes ineffective once in contact with soil - it needs green growth
to be absorbed into the plant. Then it can take a few days for them to
begin to drop. It is not much use on the likes of bramble.

+++1
Can take at least several days for any signs of its effectiveness to
appear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 18:51:24 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K wrote:

Glyphostate.

Wgassat?

The active ingredient in Roundup.

Go to an agricultral supplies place, probably able to get a fairly
hefty concentrate, small quantity might be an issue.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 18:51:24 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K wrote:

Glyphostate.

Wgassat?

The active ingredient in Roundup.

Glyphosate.

Go to an agricultral supplies place, probably able to get a fairly
hefty concentrate, small quantity might be an issue.

Or just eBay it (once you know how to spell it....)

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

Ebay "glyphosate"?

How cheap do we need to be!?
--

If OP doesn't want Roundup I assume it's because he doesn't want
glyphosate.

I'm not aware of any others still licensed.

Hire a turf skimmer and pile up the scalpings around some
dry timber and have a good bonfire. This will steralise the
soil. While you have a nice hot fire, go over the scalped
soil and loosen it and make sure any tap roots go on the
fire.

Then spread the steralised soil and wood ash all over and
reseed or turf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2018 16:17, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/10/h...ict/index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 September 2018 16:18:00 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I need to kill off both grass and weeds from a rather weedy lawn roughly about 25m2 and would appreciate any recommendations.

Richard

salt's as cheap as it gets.