Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Undergound PMA supply - how to tell which phase ?

Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:12:27 +0100
Andrew wrote:

Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Andrew

They tend to get confused when passing through a CU, or in your case,
two of them. Not to mention the length of cable between the houses.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

I doubt it very much. I believe they have a relatively limited range and
equipment like meters interfere with the signal.

Probably much better to see if theres any way of laying a data cable
between the properties or using some sort of transmitter/receiver
combination using external aerials.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

Fit a second router in your house in a better place for long range? Like
in the roof? That's what I did here to get decent coverage in the garden.
Goes quite a long way, according to my phone.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew formulated on Saturday :
If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

Unlikely to work, even if on the same phase. If on the same phase,
there would be almost no voltage between your live and their live.
Around 400+v suggests different phases.

If you can hack into a pair of wifi routers and have line of sight, you
could add a yagi antenna to each, pointing at each other, to get
access.

Might you be able to string a LAN cable along the fence between the two
properties? You might need permission from the neighbour in the middle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/18 14:12, Andrew wrote:
Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Andrew

It's unlikely to work and an RCD would likely attenuate the signal badly
due to the transformer.

What would be easier would be an external wifi unit, stick it on a pole
in the garden, try to get some signal in their window - or get them to
have a similar unit in their garden acting as a repeater, beaming
through their walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/18 14:12, Andrew wrote:
Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

No, irrespective of phase.

Its simply too far.

Performnance would be appaling

Put a wifi thing in each window

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Andrew

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2018 15:55, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/09/18 14:12, Andrew wrote:
[...]

And Google 'cantenna'.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

Our house and attached shop share the same supply cable, split so each
property has a separate meter etc. Extending the Internet access works
within each property, but not 'across the join'.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2018 14:12, Andrew wrote:
Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

Aside from the problems others have identified, the chances are against
you being on the same phase. It used to be standard practice to wire
each house in a street to a different phase in turn. Hence, the closest
houses on the same phase are likely to have two other houses between
them. It is not universal, but is fairly common.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2018 14:12, Andrew wrote:
Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

unlikely...

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Probably a moot point... sometimes by looking when fed from overhead,
harder when underground.

Long extension lead and a multimeter placed between lives might be the
easy way to at least see if its the same phase.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

Should work.

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Try one of those mains-internet extenders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would also point out that if your broadband supplier got wind of it they
would terminate your contract. Virgin say that any sharing has to be with
their permission and I'd guess this would seldom be given.
I suppose the intervening neighbour would not like to have a cable across
his extension roof? Network cables are quit thin.. grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:12:27 +0100
Andrew wrote:

Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Andrew

They tend to get confused when passing through a CU, or in your case,
two of them. Not to mention the length of cable between the houses.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 1, 2018 at 2:12:34 PM UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Andrew

Look at contracts that include line rental, phone calls, broadband and mobile phone contract. Its very possible that by combining all these she could afford a basic broadband contract for not much more than just the line rental + phone + mobile phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Andrew

Ask ROD he does it with neighbors (please no funny answers)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:12:27 +0100
Andrew wrote:

Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

Get a PoE outdoor access point and stick it in your garden where she
can see it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Andrew wrote:
Hello

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the
signal would reach but the intervening house has had an
extension with celotex-lined walls.

If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Ask ROD he does it with neighbors

But not with another house with foil faced celotex in between.

And I dont do anything special anymore. I was using a Medion
wifi extender under a picking bucket with a brick on it half way
down the neighbour's back yard, mains powered from my place.
That eventually died and I brought it back to my place to see if
it was something easy to fix like the power supply and had her
thank me for fixing it so quickly. Turns out that she can see my
Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP thats sitting on the table behind
the desktop system fine without anything special. I was surprised.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 04:12:19 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

How do you tell what phase a particular house is on ?.

Ask ROD he does it with neighbors

But not with another house with foil faced celotex in between.

And I don¢t do anything special anymore.

We know! You only TROLL now! Best way for a senile idiot to spend his
remaining few years or months until he dies! tsk

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield harry.m1byt@N
OSPAM.tiscali.co.uk scribeth thus
Andrew formulated on Saturday :
If we were both on the same phase, would it be possible
to use a pair of those mains-internet extenders, with one
in each house ?.

Unlikely to work, even if on the same phase. If on the same phase,
there would be almost no voltage between your live and their live.
Around 400+v suggests different phases.

If you can hack into a pair of wifi routers and have line of sight, you
could add a yagi antenna to each, pointing at each other, to get
access.

Might you be able to string a LAN cable along the fence between the two

roperties? You might need permission from the neighbour in the middle.

Have a look here this lot have decent advice and offer the right
bits..

https://www.solwise.co.uk/solution-b...lding-wifi.htm
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2018 08:18, Brian Gaff wrote:
I would also point out that if your broadband supplier got wind of it they
would terminate your contract. Virgin say that any sharing has to be with
their permission and I'd guess this would seldom be given.
I suppose the intervening neighbour would not like to have a cable across
his extension roof? Network cables are quit thin.. grin.
Brian

Actually there is an ancient ditch running along the bottom of all
the gardens which was tile-drained and back filled with 40 mm cobbles
followed by soil, so I might be able to dig down and use some
drain rods to push/pull the cable through. Bit of a long shot.

BT use all their home hubs for public wifi anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 02/09/2018 08:18, Brian Gaff wrote:
I would also point out that if your broadband supplier got wind of it they
would terminate your contract. Virgin say that any sharing has to be with
their permission and I'd guess this would seldom be given.
I suppose the intervening neighbour would not like to have a cable across
his extension roof? Network cables are quit thin.. grin.
Brian

Actually there is an ancient ditch running along the bottom of all
the gardens which was tile-drained and back filled with 40 mm cobbles
followed by soil, so I might be able to dig down and use some
drain rods to push/pull the cable through. Bit of a long shot.

BT use all their home hubs for public wifi anyway.

If you have one then that setting can be turned off which some people will
have had done , so not quite all their
Home Hubs.

Do any of the other providers offer a similar reciprocal service?

Our contract with BT comes up for renewal soon and I do find the BT WIFI
service useful.
Need to do lengthy stays occasionally at Mothers when she needs help with
age related issues,
My BB use takes her over what she is contracted for with her provider so
exceeding it incurs extra charges .To avoid her nagging about that it is
easier to use the BT WI FI signal that is present from somewhere close, it
was rock steady for the whole month I was last down there and though
supposed to be slower it was adequate to watch TV via I player etc.
Good mobile signal is non existent so cannot use that method instead.
So though it is fashionable not to go with BT I may well stay with them for
that providing they dont try to shaft us financially.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Andrew97d-
scribeth thus
On 04/09/2018 10:11, tony sayer wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice scribeth thus
On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 02:28:11 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies
so doesn't have broadband.

Look at contracts that include line rental, phone calls, broadband and
mobile phone contract.

That's not a bad idea. Assuming she has a landline from BT at
£18.99/month show could switch to line and broadband from Plusnet for
£19.99/month. OK I suspect it's ADSL2+ but it'll get her on the net
with no useage cap.

Call packages are on top or she could use VOIP and port her existing
number to the VOIP provider (she may need to port to Plusnet if she
choose to use their phone services). She would need some form of VOIP
kit. That could be a smart phone (doesn't need an active SIM,
contract or PAYG) with an VOIP app (Zoiper, free and ad free), the
mobile connects to the broadband via the WiFi router from Plusnet.

--
Cheers
Dave.

If .. she has access to fibre, Vodafone are doing some deals around 18
quid inc line rental and for a 38 meg service..

We are in a village of about 3000 souls, underground phone and electric
lines, exchange about 1.25 miles away with nearest green infinity
cabinet about 0.5 mies away.

No fibre access apart from Infinity.

Then .. you do have fibre access it does not have to be via BT as a
supplier!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, Andrew just needs to go to:

https://www.zen.co.uk/home/broadband

and enter his details, and it will show if Zen can supply him.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 12:29:31 +0100, Andrew wrote:

We are in a village of about 3000 souls, underground phone and electric
lines, exchange about 1.25 miles away with nearest green infinity
cabinet about 0.5 mies away.

No fibre access apart from Infinity.

Er no, the first four letters of Openreach - "open". BT Openreach
operate an open network, with equal access for anyone who wants to
offer services over that network. Therefore you have access to any
provider who offers services in your area. Be that BT, Virgin, Mrs
Moggs Enterprises, ...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 10:42:02 +0100, Robin wrote:

If she has no internet then BT line rental is now only £11.99.

This is true and should be automatic from April/May this year. Also
"no internet" means no *fixed line* internet. Internet via a mobile
doesn't count.

If useage is low, just a bit of email and web browsing, it might be
economic to find a tarrif that allows tethering and ideally works on
4G in the required location, (3G is OK at push). Asda Mobile fits if
you have decent EE 4G service where you are. They do data only
bundles at reasonable prices. 4G USB dongle direct into into
laptop/PC or something like the TP-Link TL-MR3020 if you want more
than one device to have net access at a time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have looked into this and apart from Talk Talk no-one else seems to
have an offering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 18:43:26 +0100, Andrew wrote:

No fibre access apart from Infinity.

Then .. you do have fibre access it does not have to be via BT as

supplier!..

I have looked into this and apart from Talk Talk no-one else seems to
have an offering.

Ah, I think your misunderstanding. Lets break things down a little:

The physical line and infrastructure is owned and maintained by
Openreach.

There maybe Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) which, I think, in theory,
means that the physical bit of wire from you to the exchnage is owned
an maintained by a third party (say Talk Talk) though I suspect that
in reality those companies contract Openreach to maintain/repair it.
Those companies will have their own kit in, and backhaul from, the
exchange into their networks. There are only a handfull of LLU
providers out there and many exchnages have no LLU provision at all.
I think this is the bit that has confused you.

All the above is basically the physical network. How you purchase the
various services that are delivered over that physical network is up
to you.

Obviously you need a physical line, so you need to pay someone for
that, this could be BT Retail or another provider also reselling the
line from BT Wholesale. You may then want voice service, again that
could be from BT Retail or another provider and same with broadband.
It's quite possible, if some what unusual, to pay one company for the
line, another for voice service and a third for broadband.

Bottom line is the network is open, so if you can get Infinity from
BT, you can get broadband from any provider offering FTTC services,
A&A, Zen, Plusnet, Sky, etc, etc. Note that the service from any of
these providers is carried over the same physical network, the link
from you to the network will run at what it runs at regardless of
provider. How the provider handles traffic within their notwork is
another matter...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2018 14:50, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 12:29:31 +0100, Andrew wrote:

We are in a village of about 3000 souls, underground phone and electric
lines, exchange about 1.25 miles away with nearest green infinity
cabinet about 0.5 mies away.

No fibre access apart from Infinity.

Er no, the first four letters of Openreach - "open". BT Openreach
operate an open network, with equal access for anyone who wants to
offer services over that network. Therefore you have access to any
provider who offers services in your area. Be that BT, Virgin, Mrs
Moggs Enterprises, ...

That's the theory.

Our village network's first hurdle was when BT announced that the
recently provisioned FTTC in the next village had used all the fibres,
and they couldn't run a fibre supply for us to use as the head end for a
village wifi network.

Unless we paid £5k (IIRC) up front.

(The killer was when they were just after that suddenly able to
provision us properly)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 21:17:24 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

We are in a village of about 3000 souls, underground phone and
electric lines, exchange about 1.25 miles away with nearest green

infinity cabinet about 0.5 mies away.

No fibre access apart from Infinity.

Er no, the first four letters of Openreach - "open". BT Openreach
operate an open network, with equal access for anyone who wants to
offer services over that network. Therefore you have access to any
provider who offers services in your area. Be that BT, Virgin, Mrs
Moggs Enterprises, ...

That's the theory.

No theory about it. I can buy my internet access from any number of
ADSL providers all of which would have to utilise Openreach to get
their service to me. I can't buy access from VDSL only providers as
VDSL is not available here.

Our village network's first hurdle was when BT announced that the
recently provisioned FTTC in the next village had used all the fibres,
and they couldn't run a fibre supply for us to use as the head end for a
village wifi network.

Unless we paid £5k (IIRC) up front.

But that's for the backhaul not end user connections.

(The killer was when they were just after that suddenly able to
provision us properly)

Sorry, I'm having trouble parseing that sentance. You ask for a
connection, they quote (£5k), you pay, they provide, simples.

Depending on what you buy alters the costings. A "leased line" is
costed right back to the nearest "fibre exchange". FTTPoD is costed
back to the nearest fibre node/joint. You pay for any new works, say
a chamber and trench/duct to your property, and a distance related
charge to the relevant "start" point. If they have to pull in another
40 km of fibre cable to get a feed to that FTTPoD node or back to the
"fibre exchange", they'll do it but your don't pay the real cost of
that.

Now you have an Village ISP, you could sell to anyone anywhere over
the Openreach network, provided you buy the relevant interconnect
into Openreach....

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Vir Campestris vir.campestris@
invalid.invalid scribeth thus
[...]

That anything to do with Air Broadband do you know?..

Unless we paid £5k (IIRC) up front.

(The killer was when they were just after that suddenly able to
provision us properly)

How 'err odd;?...
Andy

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 12:49, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Vir Campestris vir.campestris@
invalid.invalid scribeth thus Our village network's first hurdle was when BT announced that the
recently provisioned FTTC in the next village had used all the fibres,
and they couldn't run a fibre supply for us to use as the head end for a
village wifi network.

That anything to do with Air Broadband do you know?..

I believe so.

Unless we paid £5k (IIRC) up front.

(The killer was when they were just after that suddenly able to
provision us properly)

How 'err odd;?...
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2018 22:28, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Sorry, I'm having trouble parseing that sentance. You ask for a
connection, they quote (£5k), you pay, they provide, simples.

Depending on what you buy alters the costings. A "leased line" is
costed right back to the nearest "fibre exchange". FTTPoD is costed
back to the nearest fibre node/joint. You pay for any new works, say
a chamber and trench/duct to your property, and a distance related
charge to the relevant "start" point. If they have to pull in another
40 km of fibre cable to get a feed to that FTTPoD node or back to the
"fibre exchange", they'll do it but your don't pay the real cost of
that.

Now you have an Village ISP, you could sell to anyone anywhere over
the Openreach network, provided you buy the relevant interconnect
into Openreach....

Occurs to me I may have said enough to identifiable to BT's lawyers.
I'll shut up.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Vir Campestris vir.campestris@
invalid.invalid scribeth thus
On 18/09/2018 12:49, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Vir Campestris vir.campestris@
invalid.invalid scribeth thus Our village network's first hurdle was when

BT announced that the
recently provisioned FTTC in the next village had used all the fibres,
and they couldn't run a fibre supply for us to use as the head end for a
village wifi network.

That anything to do with Air Broadband do you know?..

I believe so.

Well there you go as soon as any competition is around they bend over
backwards to get everyone connected to fibre BB!...