Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Default water well pump wiring - using submersible cable undergound

I am completing a water well. The pump will be set down 180' in a 200'
well. The wiring will go via conduit in trench another 250' to the
structure that houses the controls. Is there any reason not to use one
unbroken stretch of submersible cable for this entire distance? Also,
is there any reason not to bring the wiring out underground near the
pitless adapter, with the conduit attached and sealed, watertight, to
the casing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The pump is 1/2 HP 230V. The wire is #12 gauge which is the proper
size for a 430' total run, according to various wire tables. The only
question here is whether it is ok to use submersible rated cable in a
trench inside conduit rather than underground rated cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

RBM (remove this) wrote:
If the conductors are sized properly and it's in electrical conduit it would
be fine, but you don't want to come out by the pitless. It's to far down,
which could be a problem for pump removal, and you really don't want any
ground water seeping in. There is no disadvantage to having a set of splices
right at the top under the head

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. com...
wrote:

I am completing a water well. The pump will be set down 180' in a 200'
well. The wiring will go via conduit in trench another 250' to the
structure that houses the controls. Is there any reason not to use one
unbroken stretch of submersible cable for this entire distance? Also,
is there any reason not to bring the wiring out underground near the
pitless adapter, with the conduit attached and sealed, watertight, to
the casing?

Without knowing any of the specifics, like pump HP,
I would be leery of the 250 ft run.

You might want to nudge the wire size up one size
over the submers cable that comes out of the well.
This in order to reduce voltage drop and hard-starting
for the poor motor.

It's going to be far less expensive to do pulling wires
in conduit than running 250 ft of submers cable, I'm guessing.

Jim

Good points. I'll add another one that probably isn't thought of often
enough. Doing it that way allows you to add a 110 utility outlet at
the well head. Does require an additional run of 12/3 but is well
worth it. That outlet out by my well has been very convenient several
times.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
StLouisMike

wrote:
I am completing a water well. The pump will be set down 180' in a 200'
well. The wiring will go via conduit in trench another 250' to the
structure that houses the controls. Is there any reason not to use one
unbroken stretch of submersible cable for this entire distance? Also,
is there any reason not to bring the wiring out underground near the
pitless adapter, with the conduit attached and sealed, watertight, to
the casing?

That's pretty much the way our well water line/electric was arranged.
We ran a trench about 200 feet down our road, then veered to the house,
and tied into the interior wall and pressure tank about 30" below grade
(about 280' total). We ran a flexible water line in 3" sch 40 PVC
conduit down the trench and ran the electrical line (outdoor 12-2, I
believe) in the same trench (no conduit) back upstream to the wellhead,
right down to the pump. We had to make one electrical splice since we
only had 200' of electrical cable at the size needed. We separated the
two lines into the house by about 6", the water line below the
electrical. Metal conduit was used immeditely on the interior of the
basement wall for the electric.

Seal carefully on the interior, as we foundout. Until the ground
settles, water can seep between the backfilled earth and get into the
sleeve run through the basement wall (if you have a basement).

Mike
http://home.earthlink.net/~mikefrand...useRelease.htm