Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default water well pump wiring - using submersible cable undergound

RBM (remove this) wrote:
If the conductors are sized properly and it's in electrical conduit it would
be fine, but you don't want to come out by the pitless. It's to far down,
which could be a problem for pump removal, and you really don't want any
ground water seeping in. There is no disadvantage to having a set of splices
right at the top under the head

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. com...
wrote:

I am completing a water well. The pump will be set down 180' in a 200'
well. The wiring will go via conduit in trench another 250' to the
structure that houses the controls. Is there any reason not to use one
unbroken stretch of submersible cable for this entire distance? Also,
is there any reason not to bring the wiring out underground near the
pitless adapter, with the conduit attached and sealed, watertight, to
the casing?

Without knowing any of the specifics, like pump HP,
I would be leery of the 250 ft run.

You might want to nudge the wire size up one size
over the submers cable that comes out of the well.
This in order to reduce voltage drop and hard-starting
for the poor motor.

It's going to be far less expensive to do pulling wires
in conduit than running 250 ft of submers cable, I'm guessing.

Jim

Good points. I'll add another one that probably isn't thought of often
enough. Doing it that way allows you to add a 110 utility outlet at
the well head. Does require an additional run of 12/3 but is well
worth it. That outlet out by my well has been very convenient several
times.

Harry K