Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Single Phase Backup Generator to Three Phase Mains Supply?

I have a 6.5kw 220v single phase generator that I want to wire up to
supply backup supply to a couple of offices in my house. The mains
supply in the house is three phase 220v...
Is there a way to wire this up? Something like an isolator/generator
switch on one of the phases (as long as the offices are on the same
phase)? I don't want to go to the additional expense of purchasing a 3
phase generator or a single to three phase converter but would like
backup power into the office circuits. I'm not too concerned about
have the entire house on the generator but do need the offices....
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I have a 6.5kw 220v single phase generator that I want to wire up to
supply backup supply to a couple of offices in my house. The mains
supply in the house is three phase 220v...
Is there a way to wire this up? Something like an isolator/generator
switch on one of the phases (as long as the offices are on the same
phase)? I don't want to go to the additional expense of purchasing a 3
phase generator or a single to three phase converter but would like
backup power into the office circuits. I'm not too concerned about
have the entire house on the generator but do need the offices....
Thanks

Something like this
http://www.briggsandstrattongenerato...ertransfer.htm
connected to one of the phases then to a new consumer unit, supplying power
to both offices would work.
This would then allow you to power everything on this new consumer unit from
the generator in a power cut.

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sparks wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Note that you will need to pay careful attention to the earthing
arrangement here. If you normally have an earth connection provided by
your electricity supplier (i.e. TN-S or TN-C-S), then you will not be
able to rely on this when using the generator. This can make switching
more complex since you may require alternative circuit protection
arrangements.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I have a 6.5kw 220v single phase generator that I want to wire up to
supply backup supply to a couple of offices in my house. The mains
supply in the house is three phase 220v...
Is there a way to wire this up? Something like an isolator/generator
switch on one of the phases (as long as the offices are on the same
phase)? I don't want to go to the additional expense of purchasing a 3
phase generator or a single to three phase converter but would like
backup power into the office circuits. I'm not too concerned about
have the entire house on the generator but do need the offices....

Firstly you must have a TT system or at least have it converted to a TT
system in order for the protection systems (RCD s etc) to function properly.

Sencondly, depending on how your house / office is distrubuted from the
mains 3 phase, it may not be as easy "as that" to supply just the offce from
a 1ph generator, inwhich case you will HAVE to have a 3ph machine.

Thirdly, nearly all domestic (i.e under about 15kva 3000rpm) generators are
wired with either a single or more likely dual stator (230v or 115v x2) and
are unable to be re configured for 3ph output.

Have a spark come out and examine your existing layout and circuit
distrubution and advise you from there. Whichever, it will not be a cheap
operation.

Tim..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim.. the.farm.no
@spam.btinternet.com scribeth thus

wrote in message
[...]

You could run a lead from it to some sockets and simply plug what you
need to supply of them?. Where they would normally need plugging into
the mains.

Otherwise its a changeover switch. A MUST NOT be able to feed the output
of the genny back into the mains., Hence these units are break before
make changeover but that may well need doing in a rather serious
fashion!...
--
Tony Sayer