Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Linear halogen bulbs

If anybody is interested Sainsbury's are selling off their stock of
own-brand R7s linear halogen bulbs. Both 78mm (120W) and 118mm (400W)
were on sale for 20p each in our local branch this morning.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 10:22:45 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
If anybody is interested Sainsbury's are selling off their stock of
own-brand R7s linear halogen bulbs. Both 78mm (120W) and 118mm (400W)
were on sale for 20p each in our local branch this morning.

unfortunately they have negative value.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 10:22:45 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
If anybody is interested Sainsbury's are selling off their stock of
own-brand R7s linear halogen bulbs. Both 78mm (120W) and 118mm (400W)
were on sale for 20p each in our local branch this morning.

unfortunately they have negative value.

Yes - if ever there was a fitting best replaced with LED, it is an outside
flood light. Those linear halogens seem to have a poor life - even more so
if unbranded types.

--
*WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 10:22:45 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
If anybody is interested Sainsbury's are selling off their stock of
own-brand R7s linear halogen bulbs. Both 78mm (120W) and 118mm (400W)
were on sale for 20p each in our local branch this morning.

unfortunately they have negative value.

Yes - if ever there was a fitting best replaced with LED, it is an outside
flood light. Those linear halogens seem to have a poor life - even more so
if unbranded types.

However, widely used in theatrical stage floodlights. The killer was
excess heat.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 15:32:19 +0100
charles wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Yes - if ever there was a fitting best replaced with LED, it is an
outside flood light. Those linear halogens seem to have a poor life
- even more so if unbranded types.

However, widely used in theatrical stage floodlights. The killer was
excess heat.

Indeed - a bird's nest appeared on the halogen one I put out the front,
so it couldn't be used because of the fire risk. We now have a couple
of LED floodlights that work better anyway - they seem to give a more
even illumination with less dazzle, even though they're mounted lower
than the old one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 10:22:45 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
If anybody is interested Sainsbury's are selling off their stock of
own-brand R7s linear halogen bulbs. Both 78mm (120W) and 118mm (400W)
were on sale for 20p each in our local branch this morning.

unfortunately they have negative value.

Yes - if ever there was a fitting best replaced with LED, it is an outside
flood light. Those linear halogens seem to have a poor life - even more so
if unbranded types.

I think it depends on how much use they get. We have a couple of PIRs
using 78mm bulbs and both have had the bulb replaced only once in 6
years. And as for replacing with leds, the light output from a led is
considerably lower in lumen value to a halogen. Are there any 78mm leds
which provide even 1000 lumen? The linear halogen is 2200. And, I guess,
it depends also on how easy they are to replace; for an awkward position
I think a led would win every time,

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

There are plenty of LED array floodlights whixch give a high output. See
CPC: EG
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel...30w/dp/LA05794

and there are more powerfull ones, too.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

and there are more powerfull ones, too.

Ah! The dazzle the people across the road lights that people cannot get the
hang of aiming correctly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/18 17:22, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

That's fine, but it isn't a 78 mm equivalent led, more similar to a
118mm size (which would be 400w) and provide over 8500 lumens.

--

Jeff

Energy saving linear halogen news[_7_] UK diy 20 October 20th 13 02:28 AM
Where to buy 35w GU10 halogen bulbs? Alan UK diy 6 April 8th 05 06:24 PM
GU10 mains halogen bulbs Bill Scarab UK diy 13 December 1st 04 01:51 PM
Halogen bulbs Brian UK diy 7 November 17th 04 02:43 PM
Mains Halogen Bulbs Stuart UK diy 21 December 26th 03 04:37 PM