Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mains supply to garage

With work in the garden coming to a close I am looking to start the permanent wiring of the garage. The main cable will pass from the house through plastic conduit into the garage the conduit being fixed to a beam above a side gate over a 1.2m path separating the garage from the house. Question? With the new rules regarding fire containment within CUs is it permissible to connect PVC conduit and for that matter PVC trunking directly up to the CU or do any particular fixings or glands need to be used?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cs489yz4mj...29.13.jpg?dl=0

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/08/2018 12:36, Tricky Dicky wrote:
With work in the garden coming to a close I am looking to start the permanent wiring of the garage. The main cable will pass from the house through plastic conduit into the garage the conduit being fixed to a beam above a side gate over a 1.2m path separating the garage from the house. Question? With the new rules regarding fire containment within CUs is it permissible to connect PVC conduit and for that matter PVC trunking directly up to the CU or do any particular fixings or glands need to be used?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cs489yz4mj...29.13.jpg?dl=0

A PVC conduit installation across the gate to the garage CU could result
in build up of condensation that may drip into the garage CU. So either
slope the conduit the correct way or fit some sort of drip tray. This
could be as easy as a conduit T box with an open bottom (no pun
intended) before the garage CU

Other than that I would normally fit a bit of intumescent silicone
around any cables entering the CU.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you Adam will do that.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not use an armoured cable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/08/2018 18:22, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Thank you Adam will do that.

No pictures of lesbians needed to help you?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2018 16:32, ARW wrote:
[...]

If the cable is doing as he says and connecting _up_ to the CU surely
this won't be a problem?

But if it's a metaphorical up - why not a drip loop?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not use an armoured cable?

Glands, junction boxes and expensive cable just for a 1.2m run outside. It is much more cost effective to run T&E straight from the house CU.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gutter profile

How can I visually confirm the profile of existing guttering [either
half round or deepflow] from 20 feet below?

Regards
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newman wrote:

How can I visually confirm the profile of existing guttering [either
half round or deepflow] from 20 feet below?

binoculars, quadcopter or camera on 21' pole?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2018 15:27, Andy Burns wrote:
Newman wrote:

How can I visually confirm the profile of existing guttering [either
half round or deepflow] from 20 feet below?

binoculars, quadcopter or camera on 21' pole?

Thanks

Any particular features of the guttering that would help identify it?

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 03:00:05 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky wrote:

Why not use an armoured cable?

Glands, junction boxes and expensive cable just for a 1.2m run outside. It is much more cost effective to run T&E straight from the house CU.

Richard

That's what I did - the first lot lasted about 30 years and was pliable when
I replaced it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2018 15:23, Newman wrote:
How can I visually confirm the profile of existing guttering [either
half round or deepflow] from 20 feet below?

Regards

should be obvious

--
The fact that nobody understands you doesn't mean you are an artist
I believe in a better world where Chickens can cross the road without
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/08/2018 21:16, Vir Campestris wrote:

If the cable is doing as he says and connecting _up_ to the CU surely
this won't be a problem?

:-)

But if it's a metaphorical up - why not a drip loop?

That's what the 3 way conduit box is for. The cable passes through it,
is shaped into a drip loop and the bottom entry left open. Then stick a
lid on the box.

Either that or drill drain holes if there is a definite lowest point(s).

I am pretty sure the OP can work it out. I just wanted to make sure that
he was aware how much condensation could actually accumulate into a
couple of metres of conduit. Maybe the conduit box is not needed in the
OPs case. But if it is needed it's a £1 solution.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/18 18:58, Cynic wrote:
Why not use an armoured cable?

Why would cable need weapons?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newman Wrote in message:
How can I visually confirm the profile of existing guttering [either
half round or deepflow] from 20 feet below?

Regards

Stilts.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----