Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quick check - hole size in wall for 40mm waste pipe

Looking at diamond drill sizes they are 38mm and 52mm, so logically you
use a 52mm core drill for 40mm waste.

Just double checking as it seems like a lot of over size.

Presumably it makes it easier if the hole is slightly off centre.

This question related to the Ikea thread because the current fitting
slopes slightly up hill through the wall yet there is scope to drill a
hole several bricks lower.

All my drill bits and core drills are hundreds of miles away. No room in
the car and I had no idea I would be tackling anything this complex.

Sigh.

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 10:16:23 +0000, David wrote:

Looking at diamond drill sizes they are 38mm and 52mm, so logically you
use a 52mm core drill for 40mm waste.

Just double checking as it seems like a lot of over size.

Presumably it makes it easier if the hole is slightly off centre.

This question related to the Ikea thread because the current fitting
slopes slightly up hill through the wall yet there is scope to drill a
hole several bricks lower.

All my drill bits and core drills are hundreds of miles away. No room in
the car and I had no idea I would be tackling anything this complex.

Supplementary - recommendation please for source of one off setup to drill
50mm(ish) hole through 300mm brick cavity wall.

Screwfix or Toolstation?

Whatever, I will need it today.

I have powered hammer drills and a cordless SDS which I think is favourite
for driving the hole saw.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 11:32:24 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
[...]

6mm clearance each side is ok. You don't want it to tight or you'll find haldheld slight misalignment causes problems with the plumbing.

Screwstation or toolfix are both ok - whichever you've got near & whichever is cheapest generally. Toolsatan is often cheaper. Screwfix frequently doesn't have the wanted items, and it often boils down to a bait & switch. Don't forget you'll need an extra arbour if using an SDS with some kits.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2018 11:16, David wrote:
Looking at diamond drill sizes they are 38mm and 52mm, so logically you
use a 52mm core drill for 40mm waste.

Just double checking as it seems like a lot of over size...

Don't forget that 40mm is the inside diameter of the pipe. Depending
upon type, it may be up to 44mm outside diameter.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

Looking at diamond drill sizes they are 38mm and 52mm, so logically you
use a 52mm core drill for 40mm waste.
Just double checking as it seems like a lot of over size.

Supplementary - recommendation please for source of one off setup to drill
50mm(ish) hole through 300mm brick cavity wall.
Screwfix or Toolstation?

TS do a 44mm masonry holesaw, if you have an existing arbour take it
with you to check whether it fits, or you need to buy an arbour too ...

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p28954

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 12:01:49 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

On 22/08/2018 11:16, David wrote:
Looking at diamond drill sizes they are 38mm and 52mm, so logically you
use a 52mm core drill for 40mm waste.

Just double checking as it seems like a lot of over size...

Don't forget that 40mm is the inside diameter of the pipe. Depending
upon type, it may be up to 44mm outside diameter.

Ah. Checked the outside diameter at just over 40mm.

Ikea adapter has an outside diameter of just over 40mm and an inside
diameter of about 36.5mm according to my digital callipers.

The old push fit is marked as 1 1/2". which is roughly 37.5mm. The outside
piping will be renewed.

Looks as though the tight *******s used an old run of pipe outside as
well, which was slightly too short and gaffer taped.

New flexible pipe and old fitting seem to roughly match at around 37mm
external/internal. We can but hope.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

Ikea adapter has an outside diameter of just over 40mm and an inside
diameter of about 36.5mm according to my digital callipers.
The old push fit is marked as 1 1/2". which is roughly 37.5mm.
New flexible pipe and old fitting seem to roughly match at around 37mm
external/internal. We can but hope.

McAlpine multi-fit straight connector or elbow may be your friends,
wonder if "european" is their code for "ikea"

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/plastic-chrome-fittings/multifit-waste-fittings
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 10:16:23 +0000, David wrote:

Looking at diamond drill sizes they are 38mm and 52mm, so logically you
use a 52mm core drill for 40mm waste.

Just double checking as it seems like a lot of over size.

Presumably it makes it easier if the hole is slightly off centre.

This question related to the Ikea thread because the current fitting
slopes slightly up hill through the wall yet there is scope to drill a
hole several bricks lower.

All my drill bits and core drills are hundreds of miles away. No room in
the car and I had no idea I would be tackling anything this complex.

Bought a diamond core bit along with arbor and pilot drill.

I thought my cordless SDS drill might give it a go with the hammer action.

I now read that the hammer action must not be used.

Wondering now if I should go back to Screwfix immediately and get a mains
powered drill to drive it.

Cheapest seems to be £30, which will probably barely do it.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Aug 2018 16:24:53 GMT, David wrote:

[...]

Just turn of the hammer action and grind through - gently. That's what I did
with my mains SDS. I wish I'd got a longer arbor as I had to finish the last
bit from the outside, 14' up the ladder, using the drill one-handed (I
already knew that the clutch (had) worked).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2018 17:24, David wrote:
[...]

If the bricks are soft, you might get away using an ordinary cordless
drill, probably a bit slow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 17:24:55 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
[...]

Never use hammer & cordless is not too practical for this. Mains drills started at a fiver last time I looked - Red Devil or something. Argos have drills now for £18.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Bought the £29.99 one from Screwfix.
This has the added bonus that I can use chisels with it.
Already used that to clear the old white tiles which would have made mcore
drilling a bit difficult.

Just slow and steady plodding now.

Bought the long arbor so it should hopefully go all the way through from
the inside.

Cheers

Dave R

--