Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Quick check - hole size in wall for 40mm waste pipe

On 22 Aug 2018 16:24:53 GMT, David wrote:

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 10:16:23 +0000, David wrote:

Looking at diamond drill sizes they are 38mm and 52mm, so logically you
use a 52mm core drill for 40mm waste.

Just double checking as it seems like a lot of over size.

Presumably it makes it easier if the hole is slightly off centre.

This question related to the Ikea thread because the current fitting
slopes slightly up hill through the wall yet there is scope to drill a
hole several bricks lower.

All my drill bits and core drills are hundreds of miles away. No room in
the car and I had no idea I would be tackling anything this complex.

Bought a diamond core bit along with arbor and pilot drill.

I thought my cordless SDS drill might give it a go with the hammer action.

I now read that the hammer action must not be used.

Wondering now if I should go back to Screwfix immediately and get a mains
powered drill to drive it.

Cheapest seems to be £30, which will probably barely do it.

Cheers

Dave R

Just turn of the hammer action and grind through - gently. That's what I did
with my mains SDS. I wish I'd got a longer arbor as I had to finish the last
bit from the outside, 14' up the ladder, using the drill one-handed (I
already knew that the clutch (had) worked).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away